It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

Past few months I've noticed DVD quality is much more consistent and much improved from all concerned in the Indian DVD field. I wouldn't say it's anything that it’s suppose to be or even comparable to the standard Hollywood DVDs but colours, contrast and general sourcing is much better. It's not just a one off, recently most DVDs are of what I would call what Ayngaran quality was few years back.

So it’s taken what about 4 years to get to this point. And how ironic (or maybe how typical) is it that when the next-gen hi-def formats are being ready we see Indian DVD coming out with quality they should have been from the start.

And just of general interest, how many people are still buying DVDs here? Are they lasting more than a month these days? And how many have turned to dark side and download the movies for free? I am guilty :twisted: :roll:

Ali

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:19 pm 

ali wrote:
Past few months I've noticed DVD quality is much more consistent and much improved from all concerned in the Indian DVD field. I wouldn't say it's anything that it’s suppose to be or even comparable to the standard Hollywood DVDs but colours, contrast and general sourcing is much better. It's not just a one off, recently most DVDs are of what I would call what Ayngaran quality was few years back.

So it’s taken what about 4 years to get to this point. And how ironic (or maybe how typical) is it that when the next-gen hi-def formats are being ready we see Indian DVD coming out with quality they should have been from the start.

And just of general interest, how many people are still buying DVDs here? Are they lasting more than a month these days? And how many have turned to dark side and download the movies for free? I am guilty :twisted: :roll:

Ali

are u smokin ali, or who ever said, improved quality lol.

I think, it is like bad smell, you get used to it :x :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:19 pm 

My Main Hoon Na still works! :) My wife loves that flick and watches every now and then, recent was last month (Sept).

Honestly I started with downloading, then buying 2in1, then 2 discs in 1 case then when started crapping out faster then new discs, I recently went back to buying New DVDs.

Of the recent I have bought:

No Entry
Maine Pyar Kyun Kiya
My Wifes Murder
Parineeta
Viruddh
Paheli
Munna Bhai MBBS (2in1 with Pinjar crapped out recently)
Naseeb (AB - TNT)

I was thinking about buying Mangal Pandey, Chocolate and Barsaat but not so sure yet .. probably will.

Last edited by urbanlegend on Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:21 pm 

Just parineeta!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

arsh wrote:

Naa Arsh bhia I'm serious from the crap we used to get from Eros ie Aks - totally dark, cropped and mashed picture to the likes of Chandi Bar where the picture was so dark you couldn't make out who was talking when at certain scenes to recent DVDs like UL have mentioned there been a massive improvement. It’s no where near it should be but I think it’s a big improvement.

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:31 pm 

i'm mostly downloading now (i either download or rip movies sourced from the library). i'm not paying YRF or Eros another $30 for pretty cardboard. most of the stores where i live don't even buy originals, so instead of renting a poorly done dvd-r done by these stores, i just make my own using a good downloaded dvd-rip and CCE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:20 pm 

I am guilty. They aren't going to rob me any longer. Frankly, I only download them, but never watch them as most of them are a snooze. The ones I expect to like, I watch at the theater.

In my next purchase however, I am going to purchase Parineeta (though it's got mixed views for content) only for the sake of having a decent indian dvd. might also get Lakshya.

I still haven't watched Mission Kashmir! :( I bought it when it first came out. lol I'll watch it tonight? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:31 pm 

ali wrote:
arsh wrote:

Naa Arsh bhia I'm serious from the crap we used to get from Eros ie Aks - totally dark, cropped and mashed picture to the likes of Chandi Bar where the picture was so dark you couldn't make out who was talking when at certain scenes to recent DVDs like UL have mentioned there been a massive improvement. It’s no where near it should be but I think it’s a big improvement.

Ali

I kinda agree and kinda not!! but my point is if I can buy an excellent encoded hollywood dvd new release for $15 or low, why should I pay $20 plus for yrf and eros crap?

Even now whatever quality we are getting even dvd , sp edition, two discs are extremely high priced, for their quality and content!

I refuse to pay, poorly authored, compromised media for the name of bollywood blockbusters!

$5.99 for new dvd thats what they are worth for, or just $2 rental, imho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:32 pm 

i download from DT & BWT and in all honesty i can't tell that much of a difference from the orignal and the rip and with using cheap dvdrs i never get any skipping freezing or disc rot so all in all like Fardeen says in his new movie "F**K THE LAW"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:41 pm 

Ali, you say Indian DVD quality has generally improved. Do you mean "IMPROVED" over what used to be available in the last 2 yrs or you also include DEI-EROS DVDs of older times.

I would still prefer old DEI-EROS letterboxed Progressive '2 Ch audio' DVDs over DVD from a new PAL master converted to NTSC, field averaged even though they may be Anamorphic as well as DD 5.1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

rana wrote:
Ali, you say Indian DVD quality has generally improved. Do you mean "IMPROVED" over what used to be available in the last 2 yrs or you also include DEI-EROS DVDs of older times.

Wasn’t thinking of DEI really, more about the recent DVD companies that were churning the same dismal DVDs over and over again.

rana wrote:
I would still prefer old DEI-EROS letterboxed Progressive '2 Ch audio' DVDs over DVD from a new PAL master converted to NTSC, field averaged even though they may be Anamorphic as well as DD 5.1.

I’ve never really liked the letter boxed cropped DVDs that DEI did and don’t understand this fascination with getting the best quality transfers when about a third of the picture has been cropped off. If Eros released the a Satya DVD today and it was similar quality of its recent releases (Chocolate, Pyaar Mein Twist, No Entry, Ramji Londonwaley, Matrubhoomi) - I would choose the new anamorphic transfer with 5.1 even if it was PAL to NTSC just because to get to see full frame of picture as it was intended to seen.

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:29 pm 

ali wrote:
rana wrote:

Wasn’t thinking of DEI really, more about the recent DVD companies that were churning the same dismal DVDs over and over again.

rana wrote:

I’ve never really liked the letter boxed cropped DVDs that DEI did and don’t understand this fascination with getting the best quality transfers when about a third of the picture has been cropped off. If Eros released the a Satya DVD today and it was similar quality of its recent releases (Chocolate, Pyaar Mein Twist, No Entry, Ramji Londonwaley, Matrubhoomi) - I would choose the new anamorphic transfer with 5.1 even if it was PAL to NTSC just because to get to see full frame of picture as it was intended to seen.

Ali

I kind of agree.
DVD quality includes Picture Quality, Original Aspect Ratio presentation, Audio etc.

But, as far as, PQ is concerned, DEI-EROS 1.85:1 Progressive even letterboxed ones are better than PAL to NTSC converted field averaged interlaced DVDs even if these are anamorphic. As the new crop is better audio wise and almost always OAR, counting all aspects of a DVD, new crop may rate better.

But, for my viewing, first priority is PQ.

One example: DEI-EROS SHOLAY that contains only 45% of the picture of EROS's Director's Cut DVD and still many prefer DEI-EROS DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:57 pm 

Ayngaran quality is giong south these days

Tamilini - closed their operations. but did a good job with Ramana, Saamy and few other movies.

Post subject: BWT/DT
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:28 pm 

BWT / DT Zindabaad ! :lol:

I have only bought 1 original dvd in my whole life. In the future, I will probably only be interested in buying classics or collectors editions or a movie that I really like which is random.

-Munna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:56 am 

i agree with ali..the quality has improved..

baby steps..baby steps..