It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:41 pm 

Well, lets do JANTAAR MANTAAR and GET the DVD then!!

CHOO!!! :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:54 pm 

i saw it on dvd and the movie sucked the special effects were tacky compared 2 hollywood but it is the best in bollywood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:24 pm 

People in my NEIGHBOUR HOOD!! Seemed to really like the filming of JANTAAR MANTAAR!! I'll report tomorrow with screen shots!

STAY TUNED!

LOOKS like you are burning your bIRTH DAY CANDLES from both the ends!!

Edited By arsh on 1054941960

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:32 am 

Screen review:

REVIEW | Jajantaram Mamantaram

Delightful

Sonia Chopra

http://www.screenindia.com/fullstory.ph ... nt_id=4220

wept ashore after struggling in a sea storm, desi Gulliver, Aditya (Jaaved Jaffery) falls unconscious. He finds himself in a quaint island called Shundi where the human inhabitants are one-tenth his size and birds are the size of butterflies. After initial apprehension, Aditya and the Shundi-ites form a friendship.

Shundi is ruled by the story-bookish King Bhupati, who wears an over-sized pumpkin shaped crown. His daughter Amori and Jeran, a brave soldier with the Shundi army, are in love. This is opposed by the scheming Chattan Singh (Gulshan Grover in a hilarious pointed beard) who dreams of ruling Shundi. Meanwhile the Shundi people are terrorised by the man-eating ogre Chamunda (Joy Fernandes). While Chattan Singh tries to poison the king’s mind against Aditya, the villagers, especially the children unite to support Aditya in his fight against Chamunda.

The premise of the story in simple, but its treatment is unique. The mythical Shundi-ites speaking in chaste Hindi and Aditya’s casual banter in tapori Mumbaiya makes for a hilarious juxtaposition. It also makes their friendship more interesting. The film scores in special moments shared between Aditya and his little friends. Like his demonstration of bungee jumping where he topples a nervous Jeran from his hand; or when the children dance and use ladders to climb on a moping Aditya, trying to cheer him.

Technically, the film is a triumph. The art direction, costumes and cinematography are excellent. The innovative background score adds to the fun. Thankfully, the visual effects are a delight to watch and have been woven into the story without over-kill.

Jaaved Jaffery is likeable as Aditya, his comic timing proving an added advantage. Manav Kaul as Jeran and Gulshan Grover as the mini-sized villain are impressive. And Joy Fernandes is wonderful as the ogre who is both frightening and vulnerable.

Though inspired by Gulliver’s Travels and the Gujarati tale Bakasur, director Soumitra Ranade, has made the unconventional choice of setting Jajantaram Mamantaram in an urban background. While children are sure to enjoy this contemporary fable, the elders won’t be disappointed either.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited By arsh on 1054945991

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:24 am 

Quote:

izzy Posted on June 06 2003,17:54
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i saw it on dvd and the movie sucked the special effects were tacky compared 2 hollywood but it is the best in bollywood

If we were to believe the Sonia Chopra review
Quote:
While children are sure to enjoy this contemporary fable, the elders won’t be disappointed either.

Then we can understand your view point since you're in between!

Arsh bhai given the review and in lieu of seeing the movie, still think we ought to call it jantaar mantaar ? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:50 am 

Thats what I have been CALLING it LOL!! Jaantar Maantar!!

BTW!!

Got DVD:Damn it NO SUB TITLES??? why?

Looks like a very Well designed..DVD for INDIAN film..

For an INTERLACED DVD, IMHO..very GOOD PQ!

2 hrs, and 20 minutes.

Anamorphic WS Video, with EYE PLEASING details and Colors!

Sound is EXCELLENT!!, Plus lot of special features..extras..Making and Bonus songs etc..

I'll watch it tonight, and will give u EXTENDED report tomorow..first thing in the morning...

Gulshan Grover.Gulshan .JOKER SINGH..looks really FUNNY!! :cool:as Schemy SHETAAN SINGH(CHATAN SINGH)

Edited By arsh on 1055005547

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:33 am 

O k Arsh bhai whats the verdict? jaantaram maantaram? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:28 am 

Good!!Milestone in Hindi Film Industry!!

Must see!!! :baaa:

I thought I did write somewhere!!

DVD is pretty good!! no sub titles, no ali!! ha ha!!

*** I have SCREEN SHOTS ready, If I can get hold of Ali, tomorrow..STAY TUNED!!

DD 5.1 sound, really very pleasing..With a lot of SURROUND activity!!

If you have to go watch one HINDI film this summer with Kids and Family..It should be JAANTAR MAANTAR!!

My Kids Loved it, But they did WANT more MAGIC and Special effects!! You know we are use to watching, Harry Potter/LOTR /Juman ji!! so, it was Kinda Sub Optimal for them..

But coming from BOLLYWOOD..Very Well done!! Whatever they did from their std!!

It is a different story..Kabhi,,safed balon waali Chudail, Kabhi, Jal pari, kabhi Shetan Singh, or Kabhi, Khumundra ..the Demon, and Kabhi apna BIG MAN, Javed Jafery..all HAVE to DANCE!! Damn it!!

Music was not BAD either..

If u think, MAKDI was GOOD!! This is WAY BETTER!! Thumbs Up!!

CINABELLA did, a very good dvd, BEST of their all previous releases..BUt still, INTERLACED and Dan it..No sub titles..

Watch it, with a BIG HEART..it will please you..

Shetaan singh was really..GOOD!!

*** another thing, that i hate, when BOLLYWOOD make a film for KIDS!! DAMN it, they make KIDS to ACT like adults, not like themselves..I hate it!!

As far overall FUN!! It is not on PAR with HOLLYWOOD, KIDS/FAMILY flicks..But REASONABlly GOOD!!

Edited By arsh on 1055044184

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry for the delay - thanks to Arsh - here are shots of Jajantaram Mamantaram DVD by Cinebella. Transfer/DVD seems very similar in quality to the December 16 DVD (also by Cinebella). 2.30:1 AR, anamorphic with DD 5.1 audio – but no subtitles!

Ali :baaa:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:52 pm 

For people lOOKING for A GOOD/WELL MADE film, in its GENRE and a GOOD transfer, with very good DD 5.1 sound, anamorphic transfer, but NO SUB TITLES>.highly recomended!!

I think, this film is a MILE STONE FILM in this GENRE, by IDREAM..who spent 10 crore on this film..

BW, dont make good KID's films

IDREAM spent 10 crore on this film..I hope it leads to a smooth path, to more FUN oriented BOLLYWOOD, family flicks, in this GENRE, targeted at Kids as audience..not just showing, KIDS as VICTIMS, BY STANDERS and ACTING like ADULTS in KIDS movies..

I am waitng next iDREAM's production, RUDRAKSH..with SFX with SANJAY DUTT..that looks a NIFTY/WICKED film... :baaa: :oo:

Edited By arsh on 1055096360

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:15 pm 

Press Release from iDream Production Pvt Ltd)

This summer, iDream Production and SPE Films added an all-new chapter to the Indian Box Office scenario. iDream's latest film “Jajantaram Mamantaram” (J2M2) took a majestic bow at the box office with a record breaking collections of Rs 1.51 crores over the weekend May 30 to June 1, 2003 from 94 prints across 109 screens. The week (May 30 to June 5) closed at a huge Rs 2.79 crores. Infact 20 more prints have been added for the second week across the country due to the increased demand from the exhibitors.

These results set numerous performance precedents :

* Biggest weekend ever achieved by a film that belongs to the 'Kids' category

* Biggest week for a kids film in terms of box office collections

* Best hold over for a kids film from weekend to week – drop from Friday / Saturday / Sunday (Rs 1.5 crore) to the period Monday to Thursday (Rs 1.2 crore) is negligible

indiafm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:44 pm 

Arsh, are you sure the DVD had no subtitles? I saw the cover at a store yesterday and it says it has them. Did Cinebella not put them on the disc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:45 am 

NOPE, NO SUB TITLES for SURE!, CINABELLA themselves, CONFESSED!! that PRODUCER of J2M2, screwed up...

I concur!! They FOR SURE, SCREWED themselves up, BIG TIME!! a sure LET DOWN!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:20 pm 

There was something really wrong with this DVD transfer. During long camera moves or movement in the frame, there was sort of a "stuttering," for lack of a better word, of the picture. Shimmering was excessive, particularly on the ground, with small rocks, grass, etc. It didn't look like any "pseudo progressive" DVD I've seen. When I stepped through individual frames, several in a row showed combing. Maybe it was a PAL to NTSC job? Agni Varsha also looked weird, though I don't remember what it looked like when I stepped through the frames.

The movie itself was alright, nothing special. I expected something a little more fantastic and magical. The CGI stuff, such as fish, birds, etc. was poor. I don't think they added any motion blur to them, which made them look weird when they moved. Extras are mostly BS. The "making of" is purely a fluff promotional piece, though the inclusion of a bonus song was nice.

A bit disappointing to see that CGI in India hasn't really progressed since those crappy snakes in Mudhalvan/Nayak!
:baaa:

Edited By DragunR2 on 1056046896