It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:14 am 

Thank bhai! It looks like the exchange might happen after all .. prev. Samsung was an open box I got $1900 so if I want the Sony now it would be $1100 more or so but I know I will be more happier :) Will update you guys.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:42 am 

urbanlegend wrote:
Thank bhai! It looks like the exchange might happen after all .. prev. Samsung was an open box I got $1900 so if I want the Sony now it would be $1100 more or so but I know I will be more happier :) Will update you guys.

yup! let the fun begin!!happy days are ahead!

might buy extended warranty from sony for a couple hundreds just before orig expires. Bravia does look good. good luck!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:28 am 

Zoran009 wrote:
But let me tell you, you will be happy for long time!

How much do you charge?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:27 pm 

THEY WILL BE DOING THE EXCHANGE FOR ME TODAY!!! For the first time extended warranty on a large purchase worked out for me .. I am excited!

Okay I will looking into this 120mhz thing and apparently if your not a picky video pq person (I am but not as much as other here on zulm) a regular tv/movie watcher will not notice the difference. I was looking at another TV also by Sony. Can you please give me your thoughts as I will be going tonight to pick something up:

Sony Bravia 52" LCD HDTV** (KDL52V4100): Click Here or Sony Website Click Here

The difference between the two (KDL52V4100 ($2499) and KDL52W4100 ($2999)) is $500 .. is it worth the extra $$$ for 120mhz technology?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:55 pm 

urbanlegend wrote:
THEY WILL BE DOING THE EXCHANGE FOR ME TODAY!!! For the first time extended warranty on a large purchase worked out for me .. I am excited!

Okay I will looking into this 120mhz thing and apparently if your not a picky video pq person (I am but not as much as other here on zulm) a regular tv/movie watcher will not notice the difference. I was looking at another TV also by Sony. Can you please give me your thoughts as I will be going tonight to pick something up:

Sony Bravia 52" LCD HDTV** (KDL52V4100): Click Here or Sony Website Click Here

The difference between the two (KDL52V4100 ($2499) and KDL52W4100 ($2999)) is $500 .. is it worth the extra $$$ for 120mhz technology?

V4100, is not bad, should be perfect, I used to own one 46 inch, later replaced it with XBR.

Look for the COLORS, also look at STANDARD transmission, high definition, plus your standard dvd plus BR disc, play all of them before making a decision. If no major difference is obvious to your eyes? might as well save your self $500.

Might use best buy's 90 days price match policy to help you. Extended warranty I generally do not believe but in your case no doubt it did help.

Look at some reviews between these 2 sets though. Btw Costco, doubles warranty any ways.

Imho, Sony LCDs are the best out there despite, all minuses LCD technology has.

Their BASE TVS are better now than my XBR3 as far handling of motion technology. Just my humble 2 cents.

BTW, I would recommend to every one, NEVER TO BUY FLOOR MODELS on televisions especially.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:55 pm 

Get a panasonic plasma and then get it ISF calibrated the picture will be better than the sony LCD or any other LCD + you'll save some money!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:01 pm 

punjabimunda wrote:
Get a panasonic plasma and then get it ISF calibrated the picture will be better than the sony LCD or any other LCD + you'll save some money!!

yup! if he wants plasma?, then penny are decent and cheaper! and by next year they will use pioneer's KURO panels/glass! :D

imho, lcd with all due drawbacks can be more optimally viewed in bright light compared to plasma. ans as I said, plasmas are @ their prime for $s and lcds are trying to get there.

It all comes down to his requirements, and preferences.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:32 am 

Thanks for all the recommendations .. while in the store they were trying to convince me to Samsung 46" (LN46A650) with 120mhz and 30000:1 Contrast Ratio .. but since the last set was a Samsung and I had various problems I didnt feel like touching Samsung at all plus it was a smaller screen. Plasmas they had next to none in the store :shock: .. LCDs mainly. So the one I decided on was:

Sony 52" KDL52V4100

General
Screen Size: 52" (measured diagonally)
Acceptable Video Signals: 480/60i, 480/60p, 720p, 1080/60i, 1080/24p (HDMIâ„¢ only), 1080/60p (HDMIâ„¢ / Component)

Video
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 25,000:1
On-screen Contrast Ratio: 2,500:1

Video Features
Bravia Engine 2: Yes
24p True Cinema: Yes
Game Mode: Yes
MPEG Noise Reduction: Yes
Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE) Technology: Yes
3D Comb Filter: Yes
CineMotion® Reverse 3:2 Pulldown Technology: Yes

Audio
Digital Amplifier: Yes
S-Force® Front: Yes
Dolby® Digital: Yes
Voice Zoom: Yes
Steady Sound® Automatic Volume Control: Yes
Auto Mute (on no signal): Yes
Audio Out: Yes

Inputs and Outputs
AC-In: 1 (Rear)
RF Connection Input(s): 1 (Rear)
Composite Video Input(s): 3 (1 Side/2 Rear)
S-Video Input(s): 1 (Rear)
Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) Input(s): 2 (Rear)
HDMIâ„¢ Connection(s) (Total): 4 (1 Side/3 Rear)
PC In (D-Sub) + Audio In (Stereo Mini): 1 (Rear)1
Analog Audio Input(s) (Total): 6 (1 Side/5 Rear)
Audio Out: 1 (Rear)
Digital Audio Output(s): Optical Digital Output - 1 (Rear)
HDMIâ„¢ PC Input Format Support: Yes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:23 pm 

urbanlegend wrote:

Dynamic is basically cheating. The real On-Off contrast that works all the time is 2500:1. The other depends on image content. If the whole image is dark (no bright parts at all) it works well, When the image is mixed you either have gray blacks or crushed and dimmer whites and no dynamic contrast can do anything about it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:44 pm 

mhafner wrote:
urbanlegend wrote:

Dynamic is basically cheating. The real On-Off contrast that works all the time is 2500:1. The other depends on image content. If the whole image is dark (no bright parts at all) it works well, When the image is mixed you either have gray blacks or crushed and dimmer whites and no dynamic contrast can do anything about it.

:shock: Man I wish I had half the knowledge you and some others have on this board :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:26 pm 

urbanlegend wrote:
mhafner wrote:
urbanlegend wrote:

:shock: Man I wish I had half the knowledge you and some others have on this board :(

Legend! mhafner is right some of these figures are simply nothing but gimmicks, but when a product with same specs is selling for half the price, then there have to be differences.

I'll have your eyes to be the BEST JUDGE, see what looks best to you, take home let it break in native environment, if all hunkie dorri keep it and enjoy it.

Btw, if you can possibly hang on just a couple more weeks till CEDIA, some major announcements are coming.
Secondly, Sony is coming out with a 55 inch model, pretty soon. If you could possibly accommodate
3 inch bigger a size, may be giving up on 120HZ, a bigger screen makes a huge difference, esp for ANAMORPHIC WS VIDEOS :lol: kidding! For every thing.

Sony has just announced 240HZ so 120HZ is already obsolete mere bhaii! :(

Again! of course, despite all other criteria, let your EYES be the judge! :D

Just a hint, I could not stand color palette on SHARP LCD. Luckily it was from COSTCO ONLINE, I had them take it back the next night. The more I tweak, the worst it would look to my eyes, another one, if only AUDIO receiver I could not make it work properly was SONY!! :lol: Sony sucks in audio.

In my case, best plasma colors are from pioneer(ofcourse, bonus $ over panasonic) and best colors to my eyes have always been Sony. :D

Just relax, take a deep breath or buy your self another 90 days by picking a sony to try from costco( desperate measures).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:07 pm 

Zoran009 wrote:
Secondly, Sony is coming out with a 55 inch model, pretty soon. If you could possibly accommodate
3 inch bigger a size, may be giving up on 120HZ, a bigger screen makes a huge difference, esp for ANAMORPHIC WS VIDEOS :lol: kidding! For every thing.

With technology .. we will always be waiting for the latest and greatest .. we can never win, something will always be coming out .. after the purchase of what you thought was the best top of the line is in fact the bottom of the pack the following day so fast technology changes.

Zoran009 wrote:
Btw, if you can possibly hang on just a couple more weeks till CEDIA, some major announcements are coming.

Just relax, take a deep breath or buy your self another 90 days by picking a sony to try from costco( desperate measures).

I could have waited but since it was an extended warranty exchange I had to take something now. Also, they had said with the warranty exchange they will change the tv for something with spec for spec match and that meant my $1999 purchase was actually worth only $900 but the customer service rep made a mistake and told me I had the full amount only later to be told by the manager I dont but since she made the mistake they will allow it this time. Therefore it made the on the spot purchase a must and couldnt hold off. They pushed the 4 yrs extended $500 extended warranty on top of it but I said no because of hassles this time and last minute they said they would give to me for $100 which then I said ok. I will have to do something again to this tv within 4 yrs to ensure another exchange .. not that I did something this time around ;) :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:15 pm 

urbanlegend wrote:
Zoran009 wrote:

With technology .. we will always be waiting for the latest and greatest .. we can never win, something will always be coming out .. after the purchase of what you thought was the best top of the line is in fact the bottom of the pack the following day so fast technology changes.

Zoran009 wrote:

I could have waited but since it was an extended warranty exchange I had to take something now. Also, they had said with the warranty exchange they will change the tv for something with spec for spec match and that meant my $1999 purchase was actually worth only $900 but the customer service rep made a mistake and told me I had the full amount only later to be told by the manager I dont but since she made the mistake they will allow it this time. Therefore it made the on the spot purchase a must and couldnt hold off. They pushed the 4 yrs extended $500 extended warranty on top of it but I said no because of hassles this time and last minute they said they would give to me for $100 which then I said ok. I will have to do something again to this tv within 4 yrs to ensure another exchange .. not that I did something this time around ;) :lol:

Agree! But if things were around the corner I would pay attention! as TVs you do not change/3 months, at least 4 years or so, or life time too! :D

I understand your situation is unique, so I wish you the best you could milk out of it.Best luck to you with your new pick. Just post a few pics with your system, once you get settled! :D

Just for interest:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/28/vide ... -into-sit/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:18 am 

Legend Bhai it's time now to sit back and enjoy the TV that you have!! There is always something new coming out. No matter what you buy it's just a matter of time before something new and cheaper comes out!! Don't worry about new stuff coming out and enjoy what you have!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:50 am 

punjabimunda wrote:
Legend Bhai it's time now to sit back and enjoy the TV that you have!! There is always something new coming out. No matter what you buy it's just a matter of time before something new and cheaper comes out!! Don't worry about new stuff coming out and enjoy what you have!

He is doing the needful :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next