Site Admin

There's a favourable review on twitchfilm.net too

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/review-of-sarkar-raj

Also has trailer to RGV's next Phoonk;

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/trailer ... ry-phoonk/

Ali

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:55 pm 

Sarkar Raj, Aamir flop
Even Sarkar Raj's stellar star cast could not save it from flopping at the box office. The film started with a decent initial at multiplexes and poor initial in single screens theatres. But collections dropped on Monday, making it a loser.

Aamir gained great reviews but unfortunately, the film did not get a good opening. It is expected to do well in the DVD circuit.

Trade analyst Vinod Mirani gives us the box office verdict.

Note: Films are ranked according to their release dates. The thumbs ups and downs reflect rediff's views.

Sarkar Raj

Cast: Amitabh Bachchan, Abhishek Bachchan, Aishwarya Rai.
Director: Ram Gopal Varma.
The film has some good moments, Amitabh does well.

Too many close-ups, the film falls flat.

Number of weeks: New.
BO Verdict: Poor opening.

Review

Aamir

Cast: Rajeev Khandelwal, Gajraj Rao.
Director: Raj Kumar Gupta.
Excellent performances, great thriller, terrific music.

Could've have been tigher.

Number of weeks: New.
BO Verdict: Poor opening.

Review

Woodstock Villa

Cast: Sikander Kher, Arbaaz Khan, Neha Uberoi.
Director: Hansal Mehta.
Sikander does well in his debut film.

Cliched murder mystery.

Number of weeks: 1.
BO Verdict: Flop.

Review

Hastey Hastey

Cast: Jimmy Shergill, Nisha Rawal, Rajpal Yadav.
Director: Ramanjit Juneja.
The film is well shot.

Poor script, ridiculous dialogues.

Number of weeks: 2.

Review

Ghatothkach

Director: Singeetam Srinivasa Rao.
Cute protagonist.

Tacky animation.

Review 1 | 2

Dhoom Dhadaka

Cast: Anupam Kher, Gulshan Grover, Satish Kaushik and Satish Shah, Shaad Randhawa, Aarti Chhabria, Sammir Dattani, Shama Sikandar and Zac.
Director: Shashi Ranjan.
Solid performance by Kher, Grover, Kaushik and Shah.

Very few laughs, abrupt end.

Review

Don Muthuswami

Cast: Mithun Chakraborty, Hrishita Bhatt, Rohit Roy, Mohit Raina, Anusmriti, Vishal Kotian and Shakti Kapoor.
Director: Ashim Samanta.
Mithun

Poor production values, looks like an 1980s film.

Jannat

Cast: Emraan Hashmi, Sonal Chauhan.
Director: Kunal Deshmukh.
Emraan Hashmi does well.

Film tends to drag.

Number of weeks: 3.
BO Verdict: Hit.

Review

Bhoothnath

Cast: Amitabh Bachchan, Juhi Chawala, Rajpal Yadav, Priyanshu Chatterjee, Aman Siddique.
Director:Vivek Sharma.
Entertaining first half.

Too much melodrama in the second half.

Number of weeks: 4.

Review

Mr White Mr Black

Cast: Suniel Shetty, Arshad Warsi, Sandhya Mridul and Tania Zaetta.
Director: Deepak Shivdasani.
Arshad Warsi.

Too much drama, too little comedy.

Number of weeks: 5.

Review

Trade pundit: Vinod Mirani

Last week's box-office results

Tell us what you think of these ratings

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:26 am 

only time will tell if it is a flop...as rediff even said that Bhootnath is a flop, but it is actually classified as average...so rediff cannot classify Sarkar Raj a flop just after 4 days business :) I am sure the business will pick up, this view is also shared by indiafm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:15 am 

have you guys seen the same movie that i did...

seriously this movie was good until he killed off the only character worth watching for... frig it all went down hill from there right till the last freeze frame..

why is aish in this movie? she can't act for shit and is certainly not convincing here... Amitabh for the most part is alrite, but he's relegated to the background for about 90% of the movie.

What part of this is actually good? No real story, no menacing villains, no major charactor development or even story arcs - what emotional journey do any of these characters go thru - except for perhaps AB...

btw, for the praise that RGV is getting - please ask him one question - who is the one main character of this movie? Sarkar, nope... Anita, nope, and well Shankar Nagre - hmm.. questionable...

really great cinematography aside, this movie has nothing going for it...

I can't believe this RGV is getting praise for a mediocre sequel rather than the RGV of Rangeela, Company, Jungle, Daud, Sarkar, Road, Love Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega, heck even Mast!!

RGV, thank you for ruining Sarkar for me... you should be ashamed of yourself!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:59 am 

By the way, anyone who hasn't seen Sarkar Raj yet, don't read the story about Sarkar 3 on Indiafm - Taran Adarsh gives away the ending or Sarkar Raj in it. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:06 pm 

Well! I never saw first, I do not care! RGV continues making same film over and over with a diff back drop, twist, good for nothing with his nose in Bachan clan. Aish was Gora/neela face, to look at, she was never a substantial actress imho.

Shankar makes Indian again and again, RGV is deep into, shiva, satya!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:36 am 

I caught it today in local Cineplex.
---------------------------------
My Impression:
First half of the film, I said to myself "who cares, whatever is going on". But, the same said the script in the end about the happenings of first half. LOL.
2nd half was intense and did catch viewers interest.
-----------------------------------

Technical:
-Film was 125 min (121 min excluding starting acknowledgments and end credits). I thought the film was 130 min ??
-Did not feel any surround whatsoever ?? For a crime drama like this, I did expect active surround ?? End credits showed no DTS and just Dolby and surround. Not sure if it said (Dolby) Digital ?? Did anyone see this film with active surround ??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:56 pm 

***SPOILER POSSIBLE.

Movie Review : 'Sarkar Raj'- a chaotic, dissapointing sequel

Producer: Pravin Nischol, Ram Gopal Varma
Director: Ram Gopal Varma
Cast: Amitabh Bachchan, Abhishek Bachchan, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Rajesh Shringhapure
Music: Bapi - Tutul

Dark, sinister, sinewy and rugged - 'Sarkar Raj' is Shakespeare on cocaine. Or the lacerated life of a Thackeray-like family with the concept of spatial harmony becoming meaningless because of the disembodied camera movements.

Ram Gopal Varma just doesn't let the characters be. In 'Sarkar', he observed, studied and pondered on the compelling contexts of political powerplay in the Nagare family.

Here he drags the uneasy relationship between patriarch Subhash Nagare (Amitabh Bachchan) and his son (Abhishek) into an arena of exacerbated emotions. You just can't get away from the noise.

Amar Mohile's background score doesn't help the cause. Every discernible space in the soundtrack is saturated with tempestuous sounds straight out of a B-grade horror movie.

In contrast, the three main characters maintain a poise and serenity that defiantly move in a direction opposed to the one Varma has chosen to take this time.

'Sarkar' was a film screaming silences. 'Sarkar Raj' can easily be rechristened 'Sarkar Rage'. Characters bark orders, scream grievances and rave about a socio-political system that fosters inequalities. This is an angry film about an angry young man and his uneasily-calm father who define and demonstrate power in different ways.

Varma cuts across the life and times of the Nagare family, slicing their emotions into messy portions of writhing anguish. The camera seems as restless as the characters, stopping only long enough to capture one of the three protagonists in evocative close-ups.

The Nagares seem determined to bring prosperity to Maharashtra by allowing an NRI entrepreneur (Aishwarya) and her ruthlessly acquisitive father (Victor Banerjee - who is wasted completely) to build a dam that threatens to destroy a cluster of villages.

The film's frames scream for attention and the plot is tense, tactile and non-derivative. The narrative displays a rugged grit, though not much grip. What it tragically lacks are those introspective moments that would have made these wounded, betrayed characters more dense and believable.

Don't blame the actors if the characters just don't connect with the plot - it's not their fault. Blame it on Varma's characteristic uneasiness with emotions. The women are either on silent mode or bumped off quickly. Or in Aishwarya's case, 'the only man in the cabinet'.

'Sarkar' and its sequel are essentially emotional father-son stories.

The emotions in 'Sarkar Raj' converge entirely on Aishwarya's divine face as she becomes the recipient and beacon of all the pent-up resentment, anger and misery that the Nagare family has nurtured.

Aishwarya weeps for the Nagares and for all those dynasties of the world whose heirs have been brutal casualties of power-play and politics. She weeps perhaps for the film's lost cause too.

'Sarkar Raj' could have been what Coppola's 'Godfather 2' was to 'The Godfather'. Instead, Varma shrouds the characters' grief and angst in a cryptic chaos.

What compounds the sense of claustrophobia is that every frame looks cramped.

In two hours of playing time there is not one light moment that one can recall. The two turning points in the plot - the vicious slaying of the characters played by Tanisha and Abhishek jolt us although the movie prepares us for anarchy from the first frame.

The actors do make some interludes very special. Amitabh's sequence with his dying son or the hesitant father-son embrace in the study just couldn't go wrong. They don't.

But you wonder what sort of a mind would script such abject tragedy for a man who lost his first son in 'Sarkar' and his only surviving son in the sequel.

Dilip Prabhawalkar, who played Gandhi in 'Lage Raho Munnabhai', is a machiavellan rural icon here.

Amit Roy's cinematography and Sunil Nigevekar's art consist of rusty browns and crusty, crumbling visuals.

The three principal players are in splendid form - the senior Bachchan rightfully towering over the rest. Abhishek's preparedness for the part comes from his pensive far-away looks.

Aishwarya, as the chic industrialist coming to grips with a soio-political order where corruption is a given, could well be seen trying to come to terms with a disembodied world of perverse politics and fragmented family values that Varma has built.

At the end we see Subhash Nagare's sighing wife (Surpriya Pathak) going towards the phone to call their grandson to join the family business - another sequel in the offing?

© Copyright 2008 by MusicIndiaOnLine.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:52 am 

bhaskar wrote:
By the way, anyone who hasn't seen Sarkar Raj yet, don't read the story about Sarkar 3 on Indiafm - Taran Adarsh gives away the ending or Sarkar Raj in it. :roll:

Taran Adarsh does something stupid? :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:36 am 

Commando303 wrote:
bhaskar wrote:

Taran Adarsh does something stupid? :shock:

welcome back :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:34 am 

Thank you. It has been a while. I might post a review of Sarkar Raj, soon, bit I suppose I just don't frequent these fora very much, anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:17 pm 

I also saw SARKAR RAJ and I actually enjoyed it. Well acted, paced, and shot, plus the twists were good and worked in the context of the film. I saw it at Manhattan's AMC Empire 25, where there was excellent surround usage. Interesting trailers for CONTRACT and that black magic film that RGV has coming out in Aug.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:21 pm 

reviewed by ravikhalnayak

Tea party!

The big Nagre respect's some guy named Rao. He's a very important person to the big Nagre - probably the only man in the world that Nagre look's upto. So, when the actual twist of this movie occur's, it doesn't go down to well in my book's because my thinking is straight - if Rao know's of Nagre's respect toward's him, he can simply say to him "listen mate, make my grandson into your party's leader!" and I'm sure, as generous as Nagre is toward's the 'Marathi logg', he'll be even more generous to the guy who taught him the way's of life!

Film's like Race, Tashan, Heyy Babyy, Partner, Om Shanti Om, Welcome etc - you can easily get away with silly scene's, flaw's, loop's yet when you have a off beat film such as this and the main twist is flawed, it doesn't leave you satisfied with the whole enterprise. If you want audience to believe that Rao planned to use this 'Sheppard power plant' against the Nagre family to get his grandson the 'Tea party seat', then to be honest, that's quite laughable!

However, the performances from the main three are very good, with Amitabh, obviously, stealing this one - I was really disappointed that in some part's of the film he does a disappearing act but comes back for the finale. Some will say that Aishwarya Rai Bachchan (phew) has a small role but she look's the part, act's the part convincingly. Abhishek is fine here, yes, a little over the top but then again, it's Abhishek! The supporting cast is rubbish, apart from the guy named Rao.

Music is just noise in this film and that to annoying noise! case was nearly the same as the first one but here the noise is something unusual - sounds like Dog's barking!

Ram Gopal Verma need's to find a cameraman and cinematographer who can actually do their job's properly - these funny dizzy angle shot's with light flares are nothing but Stupid, which do not help the film's cause at all. Some of the angle's reminded me of that junk he made last year.

Oh yes, how can I forget - the great action scene - drive into a electricity post, so it fall's, which will set a couple of tree's alight on fire then take your two accomplices with reload gun's and shoot the whole gang out. Sadly, the fogged up cloudy direction by a Dog named Ramu, you barely see this 'convincing' action scene.

Some scene's are done really well, where the Dog named Ramu actually redeem's himself - take for instance the scene of the bomb blast, Aishwarya's first meeting with Amitabh, Amitabh explaining to Aishwarya about Rao's doing - even though the explanation is a load of lard but it's executed well. We also have a lesson of the Doggy's way of thinking - if your wife is killed tragically, don't worry, start expressing your feeling's for a blue eyed lass.... a great world that doggy Ramu lives in, sadly for some of us that scene is 'Chaval' and 'puke worthy'!

The best scene of this year so far, happen's to be a particular death scene - Amitabh and Aishwarya's acting here, is magnificent. The scene heartbreaking as it is, made even superior by Amitabh acting and dialogue delivery added with Aishwarya's break out. Loved every minute of this scene..... CLASS!

Ramu - nice try, but too many loop's, still better than your last year's antic's

Comic scene - Aishwarya become's the 'Sarkarni' - that itself is quite funny, however the follow up is just 'too good yaar' - she turn's her head as if she's Dawood Ibrahim and put's on a deep husky voice and state's "EK CHAI LAO" HAHAHAAAHHAHAAH - Thank you Doggy Ramu, great scene - laughed all night.

2.5 out of 5

EK CHAI LAO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:42 pm 

Quote:
EK CHAI LAO

Mere Liey bhi!!! :lol: malaii marke! Garam kadak! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:20 am 

This movie is just plain rubbish. None of the evolved character's are remotely anything near amusing. The ending of this film is even more shameful and only leaves possibilities for a filmmaker who has strict hard-on for the Godfather trilogy with the ultimate below lackluster inspiration.