It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:23 pm 

It is getting interesting now.

I saw Bollywood Hollywood in THX certified Silvery City theatre. AR was 1.85 :1. A few others on zulm confirmed that OAR was 1.85:1.

I think, it was Sanjay who saw in an India theatre with an AR of 2.35:1. Aryan, you say the same thing. Where did you see it?

From the screen shot above, it is obvious that 2.35:1 screening is acieved by excessive matting at the top and bottom of the 4:3 shots. A little bit less matting is used for 1.85:1.

Question:
"Every time a director picks a frame, is it judgement at that particular time for the AR being used?? It appears that way. I remember Sanjay's post about Bollywood-Hollywood AR to be 2.35:1, where he saw it?? In North America we saw it at 1.85:1. Then what is the ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO in such situations?? It happens all the time Hollywood movies or Bollywood movies."

Rana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:52 pm 

This brings to attention, when I saw the Indian promos for Earth, they were in 2.35:1. I had seen the film in 1.85:1. I think that this time here in Singapore, we may have got the Indian version. I noticed that in portions, the voice was dubbed - the actors lips were saying something completely different from the dialogue heard - especially whilst they were cursing. Did the U.S. versions have any cuss words, cause the Singapore version was as clean as a Disney movie. Also, I found the song portions to be a tad bit long for non-Indian audiences. For Earth too, the Indian version had extended song sequences. In any case, the picture wasn't too grainy at all considering the cropping done. she must have anticipated this and shot on slower stock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:52 pm 

Is it? EARTH, or 1947 EARTH?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:56 pm 

rana wrote:
It is getting interesting now.

I saw Bollywood Hollywood in THX certified Silvery City theatre. AR was 1.85 :1. A few others on zulm confirmed that OAR was 1.85:1.

I think, it was Sanjay who saw in an India theatre with an AR of 2.35:1. Aryan, you say the same thing. Where did you see it?

Aren't most Indian screens 2.35:1? So if they don't have proper masking curtains, theaters may be cropping 1.85:1 films to 2.35:1 just so the whole screen is used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:02 pm 

I think u r right DRAGUN, to pls audience with FULLER PICTURE! Damn it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:00 am 

Arsh and Dragun, I really don't think that the cinemas are cropping the films to 2.35:1. For one, I saw the Indian trailers and music videos for Earth on television in 2.35:1. Another reason is that 2.35:1 is achieved by using anamorphic lenses - no matter whether it was shot with spherical (Super 35/Technovision) or anamorphic lenses (Cinemascope/Panavision). Indian cinemas, are I'm quite sure, more likely to have anamorphic facilities than strange 2.35 : 1 masking facilties. Also, I saw Bollywood Hollywood in a state of the art Singaporean cinema. It was 2.35:1. There is not a single reason why they would have cropped the film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:41 am 

I concur with Dragun's statement. I think American cinemas are more accomodating of 1.85 ratio using masks and 99% of Indian cinemas are not, resulting in a small picture in the middle of the huge scope screen. May be this is the reason why the masked it to 2.35. You can't always go by the movie trailer AR. Even scope films like Lord OF THE rings have flat(1.85) trailers which can be misleading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:00 am 

Aryan, the fact that the pirate DVDs of Bollywood Hollywood have open matte transfers supports that this film is intended to be projected at 1.85:1. No 2.35:1 films are matted to that AR from a flat (spherical) print at the projector. Whether shot using anamorphic lenses or Super 35 with spherical lenses, cinema prints of all 2.35:1 films will be anamorphically stretched.

I do not doubt that you and Sanjay saw the film at 2.35:1. Is it possible you guys saw Bollywood Hollywood horizontally stretched to 2.35:1, instead of being vertically cropped? Theaters can crop a spherical print to that AR, though. I've read on some newsgroups of some American theaters showing ALL films at around 2:1, regardless of OAR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:42 am 

Spike - Indian cinemas and Singaporean cinemas are vastly different. We are very much exposed to the various formats of the different cinemas of the world.

Quote:
Aryan, the fact that the pirate DVDs of Bollywood Hollywood have open matte transfers supports that this film is intended to be projected at 1.85:1. No 2.35:1 films are matted to that AR from a flat (spherical) print at the projector. Whether shot using anamorphic lenses or Super 35 with spherical lenses, cinema prints of all 2.35:1 films will be anamorphically stretched.

Dragun, I'm making exactly the same point as you here. Films are generally not cropped to 2.35. Also, generally movie trailers are sometimes 1.85 even if the film is anamorphic so as to ensure that the trailers can be played in all halls. Furthermore, they may be made prior to the print being readied for anarmorphic Super 35. 1.85 films normally wouldn't have 2.35:1 trailers though. And no, I didn't see the film horizontally stretched. I would have walked out of the hall!! Singaporeans are a relatively savvy movie-going lot. What I am suggesting is that the film was shot on 4:3. Then it was matted for 1.85 for U.S./Europe release. Then it went for the Super 35 process for Indian/Asian release. It's not all that complicated.

Edited By Aryan on 1044762548

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:49 am 

Aryan wrote:
Dragun, I'm making exactly the same point as you here. No film is cropped to 2.35. Also, generally movie trailers are sometimes 1.85 even if the film is anamorphic so as to ensure that the trailers can be played in all halls. Furthermore, they may be made prior to the print being readied for anarmorphic Super 35. And no, I didn't see the film horizontally stretched. I would have walked out of the hall!! Singaporeans are a relatively savvy movie-going lot. What I am suggesting is that the film was shot on 4:3. Then it was matted for 1.85 for U.S./Europe release. Then it went for the Super 35 process for Indian/Asian release. It's not all that complicated.

Oh, okay, I understand. Aryan, if this film is still playing there, would you mind seeing it again (or sneaking in before/after seeing another film) and checking whether the reel changeover cues are circle or oval?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:05 am 

Hey, I just watched the trailer on the net - there were scenes missing from the version I watched...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:34 am 

Quote:
I've read on some newsgroups of some American theaters showing ALL films at around 2:1, regardless of OAR.

That is somewat true. I went to watch Final Destination 2 last week and the OAR for FD2 is 1.85. Before the movie, the trailers were being shown at 2.1 and as soon as it began, instead of switching it to 1.85, it was stretched out to 2:1 and the picture was horizontally stretched.
Fortunately 10 minutes after it was framed back to its proper AR.

Getting back to the Bollywood Hollywood dvd, anybody care commenting on the audio? How is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:44 am 

These are the Special Features of the Mongrel DvD..

16 x 9 Widescreen Presentation (2:35:1)
Up Close Commentary with Deepa Mehta
Interview with Lisa Ray
Featurette
Extended/Deleted Scenes
Stills Gallery – Theatrical Trailer – Cast and Crew Bios – Song Gallery
2.0 Stereo, English
5.1 Surround, English
2.0 Stereo, French (dubbed track)
Video Description Track, English (by AudioVision Canada)
DVD-ROM Features

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

Waaahey Mongrel DVD looks like the one to get! Thanks for the info SnakeEye.

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:43 pm 

Aryan wrote:
Spike - Indian cinemas and Singaporean cinemas are vastly different. We are very much exposed to the various formats of the different cinemas of the world.

Quote:

Dragun, I'm making exactly the same point as you here. Films are generally not cropped to 2.35. Also, generally movie trailers are sometimes 1.85 even if the film is anamorphic so as to ensure that the trailers can be played in all halls. Furthermore, they may be made prior to the print being readied for anarmorphic Super 35. 1.85 films normally wouldn't have 2.35:1 trailers though. And no, I didn't see the film horizontally stretched. I would have walked out of the hall!! Singaporeans are a relatively savvy movie-going lot. What I am suggesting is that the film was shot on 4:3. Then it was matted for 1.85 for U.S./Europe release. Then it went for the Super 35 process for Indian/Asian release. It's not all that complicated.

It happens all the time. There is one THEATRICAL ASPECT RATIO for 1.85:1 theatre screens. There is another THEATRICAL ASPECT RATIO for 2.35:1 screens. I don't think, there is such a thing called ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO. Movies are projected to fit the screen.

Rana

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next