It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:57 am 

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

Watched this about 4 times now (trailer!), can't wait for the release they might let me out to venture in the outside world and in the cinema for once :o

Ali

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:43 pm 

ali wrote:
Watched this about 4 times now (trailer!), can't wait for the release they might let me out to venture in the outside world and in the cinema for once :o

Ali

They?

Are you captured in North Korea? :?:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:50 am 

DVD Collector wrote:
ali wrote:

Ali

They?

Are you captured in North Korea? :?:

trailer was the best thing on imax mission impossible 3 show lol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:18 pm 

http://news.yahoo.com/police-14-dead-co ... 16145.html

..Police: 14 dead in Colorado theater shooting
By THOMAS PEIPERT | Associated Press – 3 hrs ago....

13 photos - Thu, Jul 19, 2012...See latest photos »....AURORA, Colo. (AP) — A gunman wearing a gas mask set off an unknown gas and fired into a crowded movie theater in suburban Denver theater at a midnight opening of the Batman movie "The Dark Knight Rises," killing 14 people and injuring at least 50 others, authorities said.

Moviegoers didn't know what was happening and some thought the attack was part of the show. Then they saw a silhouette of a person in the smoke at the front of the theater near the screen, pointing a gun at the crowd.

"I told my friend 'we've got to get out of here,' but then he shot people trying to go out the exits," Jennifer Seeger told NBC's "Today." She said the shooter made his way up the aisle, shooting as he went, saying nothing.

Some of those injured are children, and victims are being treated for chemical exposure apparently related to canisters thrown by the gunman. The shooter, a man in his 20s, was arrested shortly after the attack at 12:30 a.m. MDT at the multiplex theater at a mall in Aurora.

FBI spokesman Jason Pack said there's no indication in the investigation so far of any connection to terror groups.

It was the worst mass shooting in Colorado since the Columbine High School massacre on April 20, 1999. Students Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, opened fire at the school in the Denver suburb of Littleton, about 15 miles west of Aurora, killing 12 classmates and a teacher and wounding 26 others before killing themselves in the school's library.

Aurora police spokesman Frank Fania on ABC's "Good Morning America" said he didn't know yet if all the injuries were gunshot wounds. He said some might have been caused by other things such as shrapnel.

Police, ambulances and emergency crews swarmed on the scene after frantic calls started flooding the 911 switchboard, officials said.

Officers came running in and telling people to leave the theater, Salina Jordan told the Denver Post. She said some police were carrying and dragging bodies.

Officers later found the gunman near a car behind the theater.

"A gas mask, rifle, handgun at least one additional weapon (were) found inside," he said.

The suspect was taken into custody, but no name was released. Oates said there's no evidence of any other attackers. There was also no immediate word of any motive.

The suspect spoke of "possible explosives in his residence. We are dealing with that potential threat," Oates said

Police were at the Denver-area apartment and had evacuated other residents of the building. Oates did not say whether any explosives had been found.

He said police also checked for explosives in the parking lot and at the Century 16 theater and secured those areas.

President Barack Obama said he was saddened by the "horrific and tragic shooting," pledging that his administration was "committed to bringing whoever was responsible to justice, ensuring the safety of our people, and caring for those who have been wounded."

Moviegoers spoke of their terror as violence erupted and people around them fell victim.

Benjamin Fernandez, 30, told the Post that he heard a series of explosions. He said that people ran from the theater and there were gunshots as police shouted "get down!"

Frenandez said he saw people falling, including one young girl.

Jordan told the paper that one girl was struck in cheek, others in stomach including a girl who looked to be around 9-years-old.

Jordan said it sounded like firecrackers until someone ran into Theater 8 yelling "they're shooting out here!"

Hayden Miller told KUSA-TV that he heard several shots.

"Like little explosions going on and shortly after that we heard people screaming," he told the station.

Hayden said at first he thought it was part of a louder movie next door. But then he saw "people hunched over leaving theater."

The police chief said 10 victims died at the theater and four at area hospitals.

At least 24 people were being treated at Denver area hospitals.

KUSA reported that some hospitalized victims were being treated for chemical exposure, related apparently to canister thrown by gunman.

Eleven people were being treated at the Medical Center of Aurora for gunshots and ranged from minor to critical condition. Two others walked in to be treated for tear gas contamination.

Denver Health had seven victims — one in critical and the rest in fair condition.

The youngest victim reported was a 6-year-old being treated at Children's Hospital Colorado, where a total of six victims were taken. Their condition wasn't known.

Two people in critical condition were rushed to nearby Swedish Medical Center, spokeswoman Nicole Williams said.

Aurora is on Denver's east side and is Colorado's third-largest city with 327,000 residents. It is home to a large Defense Department satellite intelligence operation at Buckley Air Force Base, as well as The Children's Hospital, the University of Colorado Hospital and a future Veterans Affairs hospital.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:20 pm 

This will definitely cast a shadow on the film's box office run, or so I think.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:38 am 

Are you talking abt century 16 SFO bay area

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:54 am 

Life imitating art? An evil genius who was studying towards his PhD in Neuroscience, painted his hair red and called himself the Joker and set up booby traps in his apartment.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor ... le4429306/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:55 am 

I am going to be traveling to the San Francisco bay area in two weeks, more specifically to Sunnyvale. What is the best theater to watch 'The Dark Night Rises' in IMAX in that area?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:40 pm 

If you ask me, I shall opt for San Francisco Matreon IMAX ;)
If cant then IMAX mercado AMC or Vellco.
PS: I would rather wait and watch in Matreon lol. I watched preview with Ghost Protocol @ Metreon it was amazing!
Send me a pm Sanjay please.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:56 pm 

Zoran009 wrote:
PS: I would rather wait and watch in Matreon lol. I watched preview with Ghost Protocol @ Metreon it was amazing!

Thanks. Do you know if these locations are the real IMAX and not the fraud pseudo IMAX that they have been marketing for the past few years?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:45 am 

Sanjay wrote:
Zoran009 wrote:

Thanks. Do you know if these locations are the real IMAX and not the fraud pseudo IMAX that they have been marketing for the past few years?

About Matreon and Vellco they are 100% Imax prints. SFO one is one of the biggest one. I personally do not believe watching a reg 35 mm print blown to Imax as it sucks:(

I just saw movie @ reg theater, found kind of a tad slow and stretched, not fast pace. A few scenes shall look amazing on Imax though imho. I wont mind watching once more for Imax sake:)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:38 pm 

Zoran009 wrote:
Sanjay wrote:
Zoran009 wrote:

About Matreon and Vellco they are 100% Imax prints. SFO one is one of the biggest one. I personally do not believe watching a reg 35 mm print blown to Imax as it sucks:(

I just saw movie @ reg theater, found kind of a tad slow and stretched, not fast pace. A few scenes shall look amazing on Imax though imho. I wont mind watching once more for Imax sake:)

Do you know if these locations are the real IMAX and not the fraud pseudo IMAX that they have been marketing for the past few years?

I wonder what do you mean by Pseudo IMAX ??

Do you mean, a 35 mm print projected on to an IMAX screen and using IMAX theatres superior sound ??

I don't think there has been a single commercial film shot IMAX and screened IMAX. Only real IMAX screenings you see are the documentary films (40 min) that run in museums' IMAX theatres. Most are IMAX and some are IMAX HD.

Dark Knight does have portions shot in IMAX (not IMAX HD) though. It also has portions shot in 70mm and the rest in 35 mm. Out of the raw footage, they made 35mm and IMAX (not IMAX HD) film prints. 35 mm film has 24 fps on 35 mm film and IMAX has 48 fps on 70mm film. From 35 mm film or from 70 mm non-Imax prints, that are 24 fps, they blow up to IMAX, 48 fps prints on 70 mm film, using "IMAX DMR blow-up" process.

So far (as far as I know), all commercial films presented as IMAX screenings have been made IMAX using non-IMAX source, using "IMAX DMR blow-up". Well, any of the old old Bollywood films too can be made IMAX using this process. The results are stunning if done right and you don't notice that it's not IMAX all thru the process.

I think, it's industry first that many portions of Dark Knight has been shot on IMAX and also on 70 mm as opposed to 35mm in other such releases. It's upto the cinematographer or the director to decide what kind of film negative to use, that will do the justice to what he is trying to show. Budget is another consideration.

In North America, all commerecial "IMAX EXPERIENCE" screenings are IMAX prints. They can't cheat by projecting a 35 mm on IMAX screen and call it an IMAX, like they used to advertise for Bollywood films, in the pre-IMAX-EXPERIENCE days.

Quote:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1345836/technical

Technical specifications for
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) More at IMDbPro »
Camera
IMAX MSM 9802, Hasselblad Lenses
Panavision Panaflex Millennium XL2, Panavision C- and E-Series Lenses
Panavision Panaflex System 65 Studio, Panavision System 65 Lenses

Laboratory
Consolidated Film Industries (CFI), Hollywood (CA), USA (IMAX prints)
Technicolor, Hollywood (CA), USA (also prints)

Film negative format (mm/video inches)
35 mm (Kodak Vision3 250D 5207, Vision3 500T 5219)
65 mm (also horizontal) (Kodak Vision3 250D 5207, Vision3 500T 5219)

Cinematographic process
IMAX (some scenes)
Panavision Super 70 (some scenes)
Panavision (anamorphic)

Printed film format
35 mm (Kodak Vision 2383)
70 mm (horizontal) (IMAX DMR blow-up) (Kodak Vision 2383)
D-Cinema

Aspect ratio
1.44 : 1 (some scenes: IMAX version)
2.35 : 1

P.S.:
- If there has been other commercial IMAX films that were actually filmed using IMAX process, please correct me. Thanks.

- I would love to see SHOLAY, Ram Teri Ganga Mailee, Devdas, Aradhana, Rangeela, Amitabh films, Mera Naam Joker, etc on IMAX prints using "IMAX DMR blow-up" process. It's not cheap though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:20 pm 

Now here you go Sanjay rest assured you shall have a genuine IMAX experience;)
Honestly IMHO this movie felt short on my radar, one is 30 min excessive length, some scenes just stretched like a bas commercial Indian film:( Ann Hathway just excessive and not on par IMHO.
Despite ghost protocol cheesy was better edited. The end was stolen from angels and demons and overall I shall rate it equivalent to batman begins .
But IMAX experience is all together different experience and I can tell a few sequences in the film shall appear ah breathtaking on that 3 story screen.
Make sure in SFo u go from the start where they introduce their IMAX system;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:41 am 

rana wrote:
- If there has been other commercial IMAX films that were actually filmed using IMAX process, please correct me
OK, Fantasia 2000 was filmed in IMAX.
Quote:
http://destroyfakeimax.blogspot.ca/2009 ... cific.html
With the exception of Fantasia 2000 and certain scenes in The Dark Knight, no commercial film has been filmed in IMAX

Was surprised to see, others have also been wondering about Real IMAX vs Pseudo-IMAX. Found some interesting Blogs and websites where they contemplate this issue. Postings are in-consistent, though. What one poster reports as fake IMAX, someone else reports as REAL, and vice versa. Problem is, in order to survive financially, IMAX has lowered their standards so much that many theatres have succeeded in meeting the lowered IMAX standards at a minimal cost. Still, one can deduce by the comments which IMAX theatres are better than the others.

I found this quote very informative and true:
Quote:
http://destroyfakeimax.blogspot.ca/2009 ... cific.html

Since all of the “fake IMAX” theatres on - - - list use IMAX manufactured projection systems they are legitimately genuine IMAX Theatres.

BUT there are key differences. To be a pure IMAX presentation the film also needs to be filmed in 15perf/70mm and framed in such a way that the horizon is 1/3 of the way up the field of vision to replicate how the human eye sees the world. Close ups of actors should never be done since you would never talk to someone while standing eyeball to eyeball in real life. With the exception of Fantasia 2000 and certain scenes in The Dark Knight, no commercial film has been filmed in IMAX

Quote:
Further reading if interested:

What does define IMAX are the sightlines. The best way to understand this is to try this simple experiment. Notice how large the screen on your TV appears as you sit on your couch 15’-20’ away. Now stand approximately 1’-2’ away from it with your eyes 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the screen (more on this in a minute). Notice how the screen now fills your field of vision including some of your peripheral. Obviously the TV screen has not gotten larger. Similarly, IMAX uses very specific guidelines for where the seating must be located in relation to the screen. The concept of giant multi-story tall screens came from a marketing line that was developed decades ago to simply explain the difference in that experience without this elaborate explanation.

In this experiment you will also notice that you can see every pixel on your TV because the resolution is not that sharp. IMAX’s projection system was developed to provide far sharper resolution than 35mm projection to solve that and make sitting closer to the screen work. It should be noted that there have been a number of projection systems through the years that have also improved resolution in varying degrees such as 70mm, Cinerama etc.

Links:
1)
Quote:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... ,74.707031

This link is not being maintained but posters have been reporting their findings. Not consistent reporting.

2)
Quote:
http://lfexaminer.com/DarkKnightRisesOn1570.htm

This link, LFexaminer.com, lists all the thetres in the world currently showing "The Dark Knight Rises" in IMAX 15/70 FILM format. As per their listing (commercial), 103 theatres are showing "The Dark Knight Rises" in IMAX 15/70 FILM format. If the film being fed in the projector is IMAX 15/70 and meets the reduced IMAX standards, is IMAX presentation, true, fake or pseudo. One theatre in India also made the list.