It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:13 am 

We have probably missed a few departures during the past few months.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:14 am 

Film legend Dilip Kumar dies at 98 after long illness.

God bless the departed soul, the legend, the original.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:44 am 

Quote:
https://www.ibtimes.co.in/legendary-act ... end-838391

Legendary actor Dilip Kumar dies at 98; PM Modi, entire nation mourns loss of cinematic legend

Legendary actor Dilip Kumar, popularly known as the tragedy king of Bollywood, died on Wednesday morning after a prolonged illness. He was 98.

Since Tuesday, Dilip Kumar was admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU) of the Hinduja Hospital, a non-COVID-19 facility, after he complained of breathlessness. "He passed away due to prolonged illness at 7.30 am," Dr Jalil Parkar, who had been treating the actor, told PTI.

Faisal Farooqui, a family friend, shared the news from the actor's Twitter handle: "With a heavy heart and profound grief, I announce the passing away of our beloved Dilip Saab, few minutes ago. We are from God and to Him we return."

In the last one month, the "Devdas" actor had been in and out of hospitals and the family was hoping he would get better.

India mourns loss of the legend

As soon as the news broke, Prime Minister Narendra Modi took to his Twitter handle to mourn the loss of the legendary actor. The PM called the unfortunate demise of Dilip Kumar a loss to the cultural world and wrote, "Dilip Kumar Ji will be remembered as a cinematic legend. He was blessed with unparalleled brilliance, due to which audiences across generations were enthralled. His passing away is a loss to our cultural world. Condolences to his family, friends and innumerable admirers. RIP."

Dilip Kumar - The legend

Born as Yusuf Khan, Dilip Kumar was a trendsetter in Bollywood in terms of acting and has inspired generations of actors across the various streams of Indian cinema. With a career span of more than five decades, the 'Mughal-e-Azam' star was regarded as one of the greatest actors that India has ever seen.

Dilip Kumar was best-known for his films such as Devdas, Mughal-e-Azam, Gunga Jamuna, Ram Aur Shyam, Naya Daur, Madhumati, Kranti, Vidhaata, Shakti and Mashaal, to name just a few. He debuted in films with Jwar Bhata in 1944, however, the film and his work did not garner much attention of the audience. It was with Jugnu that released in 1947 that he clinched his first box office hit.

Guinness World Records

In 1949, Dilip Kumar starred in Andaz with Raj Kapoor and Nargis, and that film made Dilip Kumar a big star. He was the first actor to win the Filmfare Award for Best Actor in 1954 and won it a total of eight times. He and Shah Rukh Khan jointly hold the record for most Filmfare trophies.

Dilip Kumar also features in the Guinness World Records for winning the maximum number of awards by an Indian actor. He is also credited as the first method actor in India. He was honoured with the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 1994 and Padma Vibhushan in 2015. The actor was last seen on-screen in the film Qila in 1998.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:45 am 

Veteran Actor Surekha Sikri Passes Away Due to a Cardiac Arrest

Surekha Sikri was 75 at the time of her passing.

Surekha was a veteran of Hindi theatre and made her film debut in 1978 with Kissa Kursi Ka, a political drama. She has won three National awards for 'Best Supporting Actress' for Tamas (1998), Mammo (1995), and Badhaai Ho (2018).

Post subject: Re: The Departed: Ramsay
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:42 pm 

newDEEP [go-green] wrote:
We have probably missed a few departures during the past few months.

NewDEEP reported passing away of Shyam Ramsay in Sept 2019.
Tulsi Ramsay too had passed away a few months before Shyam.

We missed news of Tulsi Ramsay passing away in in Dec 2018.

Quote:
https://www.hindustantimes.com/bollywoo ... Oy1LI.html

Tulsi Ramsay of the Ramsay Brothers dies at the age of 77
Tulsi Ramsay, one the seven Ramsay Brothers, has died at the age of 77. The Ramsay Brothers were behind some of the most enduring cult classics of Indian horror cinema.

Hindustan Times | By HT Correspondent, New Delhi
UPDATED ON DEC 14, 2018 08:53 PM IST

Filmmaker Tulsi Ramsay of the Ramsay Brothers has died at the age of 77. The Ramsay Brothers - Tulsi, Kumar, Shyam, Keshu, Arjun, Gangu and Kiran - produced a series of cult horror classic through the ‘80s and ‘90s, that are still held in high regard to this day.

Ramsay had been complaining of chest pain and died on Thursday. His nephew Amit Ramsay told Indian Express, “Tulsiji experienced some pain in his chest, and he had a heart attack. So he was taken to Kokilaben Hospital in Mumbai. He passed away yesterday after he was brought back home. He was 77-years-old.”

The same report quoted his longtime associate Govind Yadav as saying, “Tulsiji passed away on Thursday evening. He was not keeping well for some time now.” He also confirmed that the funeral took place at 2 pm on Friday.

Along with the Ramsay Brothers, he was behind low-budget horror films such as Hotel, Purana Mandir, Tahkhana, Veerana and Bandh Darwaza. Comedian Varun Thakur produced an homage to the films of the Ramsay Brothers, an Amazon web series titled Shaitaan Haveli, which released in January.

Ramsay had last directed 1993’s Zee Horror Show, which became one of the flagship products of the channel.

“People want a complete thaali. You have to add everything to the film, a little bit of action, romance, song and even sex. You can’t have a completely dark film. They need a break from the horror too,” Ramsay had told Stardust in 2014.

newDEEP [go-green] wrote:
Shyam Ramsay, one of the seven Ramsay Brothers known for cult horror films such as Purani Haveli (1989) and Tahkhana (1986), succumbed to pneumonia at a hospital yesterday, his family said. "He was hospitalised two to three days ago as he was not feeling well. He passed away at around 5 am today," a relative said.

Veteran actors Raza Murad, Puneet Issar and Pankaj Dheer were among those who paid tribute to the filmmaker, remembering him as a "humble" and "polite" man. Murad, who worked with the Ramsay Brothers in the 2006 film, Family: Ties Of Blood, said that despite infusing horror in the hearts of the audience, the entire kin was soft-spoken.

https://m.mid-day.com/articles/bollywoo ... y/21753180

Last edited by rana on Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:16 am 

Kumar Ramsay

Quote:
https://www.indiatoday.in/movies/celebr ... 2021-07-08

Kumar Ramsay, eldest of Ramsay Brothers, dies at 85 in Mumbai

Kumar Ramsay of the Ramsay Brothers has passed away due to a heart attack at the age of 85.

India Today Web Desk
Mumbai
July 8, 2021
UPDATED: July 8, 2021 11:30 IST

Kumar Ramsay of the Ramsay Brothers has passed away at 85. The Ramsay Brothers set up the horror empire in Indian cinema. Kumar Ramsay, eldest of the Ramsay Brothers, passed away today, July 8, at the age of 85. According to PTI, he suffered a cardiac arrest. Kumar had written the scripts for many films, including Purana Mandir (1984), Saaya (1989), featuring Shatrughan Sinha, and the 1989 hit Khoj.

Kumar breathed his last at his residence in Hiranandani, Mumbai, his eldest son Gopal told PTI.

"He passed away due to cardiac arrest, today morning around 5:30 am. He passed away very quietly. The funeral will take place around 12 PM. We are waiting for the priest to arrive," Gopal said.

Kumar is survived by wife Sheela and three sons, Raj, Gopal and Sunil.
ABOUT RAMSAY BROTHERS

The Ramsay Brother's origin can be traced back to Karachi where their father, Fatehchand U Ramsinghani, ran a shop. After shifting to Mumbai post partition, he decided to indulge in filmmaking. Ramsinghani soon adopted the Ramsay title. After the success of films like Shaheed-E-Azam Bhagat Singh, Rustom Sohrab, Ramsinghani pulled all seven sons into the film production business.

Soon the production work was divided amongst the seven brothers. Their mothers and wives cooked and fed the crew and also did make-up. It was the perfect family business set-up. The seven Ramsay brothers, namely, Kumar, Tulsi, Shyam, Keshu, Kiran, Gangu and Arjun started the horror film cult in India after they closely watched the audience's reaction to their 1970 film Ek Nanhi Munni Si Ladki.

Ramsay Brothers became synonymous with the genre and made numerous horror films in the 1970s-1980s. Shyam Ramsay, who died in 2019, made the country's first horror show, The Zee Horror Show.

Quote:

Keshu Ramsay died in 2010 and was noted in the link:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7764&p=99650&hilit=keshu#p99650

Quote:
https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0450200/trivia

KESHU RAMSAY
Son of F.U. Ramsay
Brother of Kumar Ramsay, Shyam Ramsay, Tulsi Ramsay and Kiran Ramsay

Children are Mayur (Aryaman Ramsay),Dinesh, Sagar.

Son Dinesh Ramsay worked as Costume designer and production assistant in films.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:04 pm 

Jagjit Kaur, aged 93 breathed her last today.

Quote:
Late composer Khayyam's wife, singer Jagjit Kaur passes away, their awards and properties to be managed by trust - Exclusive!
TIMESOFINDIA.COM | Updated: Aug 15, 2021, 22:59 IST

Playback singer and wife of legendary composer, late Khayyam, Jagjit Kaur passed away on Sunday morning due to multiple organ failure. The 93- year old singer had been hospitalised for the last 15 days after her oxygen levels dropped and she had to be admitted to Sujay Hospital. Raj Sharma, former manager of Khayyam who performed her last rites says, “She was not keeping well for the last 15 days. Her oxygen level had dropped and her organs were also giving up so we had to admit her to the hospital. She passed away this morning.”
Sharma said he performed her last rites as his mentor Khayyam had instructed. He says, “Khayyam saab was the one who brought me to Mumbai in 1975. I owe everything I achieved today to him and he had told me, if anything happens to him I will have to take care of Jagjitji, which I did.” Bhajan singer Anup Jalota and composer Uttam Singh and other residents from the housing society attended the funeral.

Incidentally, Jagjit Kaur died in the same month that Khayyam had passed away, two years ago, due to cardiac arrest. Sharma says, “They had lost their son in 2012 and after Khayyam saab’s death, she had lost interest in life and was not fighting to survive. Here in the hospital too, I could only see tears running down her cheeks when she held my hand.”

Khayyam’s driver and caretaker Yogesh, who attended Jagjit Kaur’s last rites and lived with her for the last two years, still feels her presence. He says, “Her condition in the last 15 days had deteriorated and her recovery was looking difficult. She was like my grandmother, my wife and I took care of her. I was there with her and made sure that nobody troubled her. My first child was born after Khayyam saab passed away and Jagjitji was so happy to see my child. She would hold her and say, ‘Pappaji hote toh bahut khush hote (Had Pappaji been alive, he would have been happy). I wished she lived longer although her health was not good but I didn’t sense that she had given up on life.”
Jagjit Kaur who is best known for her song Tum Apna Ranjo Gham Apni Pareshani song for the film ‘Shagoon’ only has 21 films to her credit but has sung for memorable movies like ‘Bazaar’, ‘Khabhi Kabhie’ and ‘Umrao Jaan’ to her credit. Khayyam married Jagjit Kaur in 1954 and was one of the first inter-religious marriages in the Indian film industry. After their son, Pradeep died of a heart attack in 2012, inspired by his helping nature, they started the Khayyam Jagjit Kaur Charitable Trust to help artistes and technicians.

Jagjit Kaur did not receive royalty money for the past two years and which she did discuss a few months ago. Sharma clarified that the royalty had stopped and he says, “We had to submit the succession certificate, which we had not been able to do to the IPRS. Once we submit the certificate the royalty will start again and that will go to the trust.”
Khayyam used to regularly donate money to FWICE (Cine artistes association) with priority to be given to needy singers and musicians. He also gave to a separate fund to the cine musicians association and the chief minister’s fund, as well.
So what happens to the house and the various trophies including the National Award, Padma Bhushan and other properties of the legendary composer and late singer Jagjit Kaur? Sharma says, “The trust will decide whether we keep the house and shift all the trophies and other memorabilia to one place. If nobody claims it, I will keep all his trophies with me right next to his photograph that I have in my house.”

Once the trust takes over the house, Yogesh who has been with the Khayyams for over a decade will be homeless. He said, “I never had a house and was living in a rental place till saab was alive. After his death, I shifted with my wife into this house. Now the trustees will come home on Tuesday and I will hand over the keys to them. Although saab had said that I didn’t have to have a house and there are other employees who have been with him for decades, we will be taken care of, too. Lets see if the
trustee look after us otherwise hum sab Ram bharose (we’ll be left to God’s will).’’

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:11 pm 

Jagjit Kaur:

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagjit_Kaur
Selected songs

Some of her songs:

"Dekho dekho ji gori sasural chali" from Shagoon (1964), lyrics Sahir Ludhiyanvi, music Khayyam
"Tum apna ranj–o-gham apni pareshani mujhe de do" from Shagoon
"Khamosh zindagi ko afsaanaa mil gayaa" from Dil-e-Nadan (1953), lyrics Shakeel Badayuni, music Ghulam Mohammad
"Chale aao saiyan rangeele main vaari re" (with Pamela Chopra) from Bazaar (1982), lyrics Jagjit Kaur, music Khayyam
"Dekh lo aaaj humko jee bhar ke" from Bazaar
"Kaahe ko byahi bides" from Umrao Jaan (1981), music Khayyam
"Saada chidiya da chamba ve" by Jagjit Kaur and Pamela Chopra from Kabhi Kabhi (1976), music Khayyam
"Chanda gaaye raagini" from Dil-e-Nadan
"Pehle to ankh milana" (with Mohammed Rafi) from Shola Aur Shabnam (1961), lyrics Kaifi Azmi, music Khayyam
"Ladi re ladi tujhse aankh jo ladi" from Shola aur Shabnam (1961)), lyrics Kaifi Azmi, music Khayyam
"Nain milake pyar jata ke aag laga dee" (with Mohammed Rafi) from Mera Bhai Mera Dushman (1967), music Khayyam

Jagjit Kaur also composed Punjabi Movie music-(Satguru Teri Oat) 1974 Star cast like Dara Singh, Som Dutt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:44 am 

Tum Apna Ranj-O-Gham is especially iconic. Singer-composer pair was married in real life, as were lead actors of the film “Shagoon”. The song was mimed by forgotten actress Libi Rana aka Nivedita.

Post subject: MINOO MUMTAZ
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:47 am 

MINOO MUMTAZ

Quote:
Veteran actor and Mehmood’s sister Minoo Mumtaz passes away
Minoo Mumtaz appeared in films like CID, Naya Daur, Taj Mahal, Gaban, Zameer among others. She passed away in Canada.

Written by Komal RJ Panchal | Mumbai |
Updated: October 24, 2021 8:40:23 am

Veteran actor and comedian Mehmood’s sister Minoo Mumtaz has passed away. She was 79 years old.

Mehmood’s younger brother, producer Anwar Ali said in a statement, “Regret to inform that my loving sister Minoo Mumtaz has passed away in Canada. Deep gratitude to the film fraternity, press, media, fans, friends, for decades of love and adulation showered upon her.” Minoo was musician Lucky Ali’s aunt.

Anwar Ali’s wife, Mona Mathur Ali told indianexpress.com, “Minoo Apa was one of the most vibrant women I’ve met in my life, and we condole her passing. She was doing well, but recently she suffered a health crisis. Minoo Apa died this morning in Canada and her burial will happen in Brampton Funeral Home, Brampton.”

She added, “Minoo Apa was one of the first women in our family to go out and work to support her family, even before Mehmood ji. She will continue to inspire us in the future, even in her absence.”

Minoo Mumtaz appeared in many Hindi films of the 1950s and 1960s, mostly as a dancer and character actor. Some of her remarkable films include CID (1956), Naya Daur (1957), Taj Mahal (1963), Gaban (1966), Zameer (1975).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:44 pm 

Puneeth Rajkumar

Non Hindi film fans may not have heard much about this actor but obviously he had huge fan following in South Indian audiences. He was just 46, died of Cardiac Arrest. His news is headlines all over.

Quote:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/30/indian-actor-puneeth-rajkumar-dies-aged-46-after-heart-attack

Indian actor Puneeth Rajkumar dies aged 46 after heart attack

Narendra Modi joins in mourning for much-loved star of southern Indian cinema
Puneeth Rajkumar in the 2017 action movie Anjani Putra.
Puneeth Rajkumar in the 2017 action movie Anjani Putra. Photograph: Everett Collection Inc/Alamy
Associated Press in New Delhi
Sat 30 Oct 2021 10.48 BST

Last modified on Sat 30 Oct 2021 11.03 BST

Puneeth Rajkumar, a leading star of southern Indian regional cinema, has died after a heart attack. He was 46.

Rajkumar had performed lead roles in 29 movies and also appeared on television, where he was the host of a Kannada-language version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?

He was taken to Vikram hospital in Bengaluru, the capital of southern Karnataka state, after complaining of chest pain, the hospital said.

Dr Ranganath Nayak, a cardiologist at the hospital, said in a statement that Rajkumar was unresponsive and his heart had stopped when he arrived.

The Press Trust of India news agency said Rajkumar had begun having chest pains after working out for two hours at a gym.

Fans rushed to the hospital as news of his heart attack spread in the city. The Indian prime minister, Narendra Modi, joined in mourning Rajkumar’s death, saying that future generations would remember him fondly for his work and wonderful personality.

He was the son of Dr Rajkumar, the biggest film star in southern India, but carved a career for himself. After acting as a child in several films, he debuted as a lead actor in the 2002 Kannada-language movie Appu. He followed that with other successful films including Abhi, Veera Kannadiga, Maurya, Ajay and Arasu.

He is survived by his wife, Ashwini Revanth, and two daughters.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:49 am 

RAMESH DEO

Producer-actor Ramesh Deo passes away
Veteran actor Ramesh Deo passed away on Wednesday in Mumbai at the age of 93. He is known for films like Anand, Mere Apne and others.

By: Express News Service | New Delhi |
Updated: February 3, 2022 8:30:58 am

Quote:
PROMINENT FILM personality Ramesh Deo, known for playing a diverse range of roles, in Marathi and Hindi movies, passed away on Tuesday evening at Mumbai’s Kokilaben Ambani Hospital due to a heart attack.

The actor, who is survived by his actor-wife Seema Deo as well as sons Ajinkya Deo and Abhinay Deo, had celebrated his 93rd birthday on January 30.

Speaking to The Indian Express, his son Ajinkya said, “My father was not keeping well for the last a few days. He was experiencing breathlessness on Wednesday morning. So, we admitted him to the hospital and he passed away in the evening due to a heart attack.’’ The last rites of the 1926-born actor will be held on Thursday afternoon at the Vile Parle cremation ground near Pawan Hans terminal.

During his career spanning sever decades, the multi-faceted film personality has acted in over 450 Hindi and Marathi feature films, apart from working in several television shows and commercials.

After his three of Hindi films as the lead actor didn’t work at the box office, he gained popularity as a fine supporting actor.

In a number of movies, he even appeared along with his actor-wife Seema Deo. Prominent among them is Hrishikesh Mukherjee’s Anand, where he played the role of Dr Prakash Kulkarni. Their son elder son Ajinkya is a well-known actor who has featured in movies such as Aan: Men at Work (2004), Indian remake of the show 24 (2013) and Tanhaji (2020). Abhinay has directed Hindi movies Delhi Belly, Force 2 and Blackmail.

Deo, who grew up in Kolhapur, faced the camera for the first time when he made a brief appearance in a Marathi movie titled Paatlaachi Por (1951). Following that, he enrolled himself as a junior artiste and used to be paid Rs 25 for a day’s work.

Later on, he bagged a major role when he was cast as the villain in the Marathi movie Andhalaa Magto Ek Dolaa (1956). The same year, he appeared as the second lead in Paydali Padleli Phoole. In the coming years, even though he bagged lead roles, he would continue to play negative characters.

In an old interview to The Indian Express, the actor had said, “The film’s publicity material would often have the teaser: Ramesh Deo hero aahe ki villain he olkhaa (Guess whether Ramesh Deo is the hero in this film or the villain).”

The veteran actor made his Hindi film debut with Rajshri Productions’ Aarti (1962). Eventually, he would go on to be part of several landmark Hindi movies, including Jeevan Mrityu (1970), Khilona (1970 film), Mere Apne (1971), Mr India (1987), Gharana (1989) and Ghayal (1990). More recently, he appeared as the kind-hearted Kaul Sahab in Jolly LLB (2013) who helps the protagonist in his fight against injustice. He also reprises his role in Ghayal’s sequel, Ghayal Once Again (2016).

In the 80s, the actor turned producer. He even directed about eight Marathi movies, including Chor Chor, Jeeva Sakhaa, Senani Sane Guruji and Chal Gammat Karu. His company was also known for making many successful ad films.

Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar said that in Deo’s demise, Marathi film industry and theatre world lost an actor who enthralled the audience for several decades. “Many generations of Marathi art lovers enjoyed his screen performances. His chemistry with Seema Deo – on-screen and in real life – was a model for the Marathi family life. His demise is a big loss to Marathi art world.”

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:06 pm 

LATA MANGESHKAR

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:35 am 

Very sad to hear this.

She deserves so much (perhaps the most) to be written here (copy paste that we have been doing mostly), but so much has been deservedly available on all medias, it's not easy to select what to post. you can't skip anything.
So, I'm not posting (copy pastes) anything here. I'm sure readers visiting this webpage will have no difficulty finding tons of info and tributes to Lata Didi.

Om Shanti.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:52 am 

Your words resonate with my feelings. No amount of words, tributes, and thoughts could ever account for what she means.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next