It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:54 pm 

Some more info on Rajiv Kapoor & Family:

Quote:
https://www.india.com/entertainment/rajiv-kapoor-58-dies-of-massive-heart-attack-4408245/

Rajiv Kapoor, 58, Dies of Massive Heart Attack
Rajiv Kapoor, Brother of Rishi Kapoor And Randhir Kapoor, Passes Away

Updated: February 9, 2021 5:13 PM IST
By India.com Entertainment Desk

Late actor Rishi Kapoor and Randhir Kapoor’s younger brother and Raj Kapoor’s son, Rajiv Kapoor has died. Rajiv, 58, suffered a massive heart attack following which Randhir Kapoor rushed him to Inlaks Hospital but doctors declared him dead on arrival. Neetu Kapoor, wife of late actor Rishi Kapoor, was the first to confirm the news on Instagram.She wrote “RIP” alongside a picture of her brother-in-law. Brother Randhir Kapoor said Rajiv Kapoor died due to heart attack”He passed away about 1.30 pm due to heart attack,” Randhir Kapoor told PTI.

I have lost my youngest brother, Rajiv. He is no more. The doctors tried their best but could not save him. I am at the hospital, waiting for his body,” Randhir was quoted by the Times of India.

Neetu Kapoor also took to Instagram to pay him condolence. Sharing his picture, she wrote, “RIP”.

Rajiv is known for his performance in Ram Teri Ganga Maili (1985), Mera Saathi, Hum To Chale Pardes and Ek Jaan Hai Hum (1983). He also directed Rishi Kapoor starrer Prem Granth.

He was the brother of late actor Rishi Kapoor and Randhir Kapoor. He turned a producer with 1991 film Henna and bankrolled Aa Ab Laut Chalen. The veteran actor was set to make his comeback in the Bollywood after 28 years with Ashutosh Gowariker’s Toolsidas Junior. The film was announced in December 2020 with Sanjay Dutt in the lead.

Rajiv Kapoor made his acting debut with 1983 film “Ek Jaan Hain Hum”, but made first appearance as a leading man in blockbuster “Ram Teri Ganga Maili” (1985), which was Raj Kapoor’s last directorial venture. He went on to feature in films like “Aasmaan”, “Lover Boy”, “Zabardast” and “Hum To Chale Pardes”.

Rajiv Kapoor’s last film as a leading man was 1990’s “Zimmedaar”. A lesser-known face from the famous Kapoor film clan, he then made a switch to production and direction. His first production was “Henna” (1991), directed by his brother Randhir Kapoor.

In 2001, the married architect Aarti Sabharwal, but the couple divorced later. Rajiv Kapoor was the youngest among three brothers and two sisters — Randhir Kapoor, Rishi Kapoor, Ritu Nanda and Rima Jain. His eldest sister Ritu Nanda and brother Rishi Kapoor passed away in January and April last year.

Mourning Rajiv Kapoor’s death, legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar said she is “deeply saddened”.”I just got to know about the passing away of the talented actor Rajiv Kapoor, the youngest son of Raj Kapoor Sahab. I’m deeply saddened by the news. May his soul rest in peace,” Mangeshkar tweeted.

Director-producer Naved Jaffrey remembered Rajiv Kapoor as someone with “a pure heart and a very nice human being”.”May his soul rest in peace, deepest condolences to the family,” Jaffery wrote on Twitter. Actor-producer Tusshar Kapoor offered his deepest condolences to the Kapoor family.”Sad to hear of the passing away of Rajiv Kapoor! May his soul rest in peace,” he tweeted. Cine & TV Artistes’s Association (CINTAA), a trade union which looks after the rights and welfare of its members in the entertainment industry also expressed its deepest condolences on the demise of Rajiv Kapoor.

The late actor was a CINTAA member since October 1983, the association said on Twitter.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:15 pm 

Sandeep Nahar allegedly died by suicide on February 15.

Actor Sandeep Nahar, who worked in Kesari and MS Dhoni: The Untold Story, died by suicide on Monday, February 15. The actor had taken to Facebook to write a disturbing suicide note hours before his death and yet he couldn't be stopped from taking the tragic decision.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:08 pm 

Shashikala Om Prakash Saigal, 88, has passed away on Sunday. The late actress began working at an early age to support her parents. The family of the late actress is yet to issue a statement regarding her demise, reported a website.

Shashikala worked in films like Mujhse Shaadi Karogi (2004) and Teen Batti Char Raasta (1953) and also was part of TV shows like Sonpari and Jeena Isi ka Naam hai...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:10 am 

Shashikala: Who can forget her role in Gumrah (Sunil Dutt, Mala Sinha film), & Waqt (Aage Bhi Jaane Na Tu)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:01 pm 

Shashikala had a turbulent life.

https://www.dnaindia.com/lifestyle/inte ... ts-2084595

Quote:
Shashikala: Life behind the arclights
Behind Hindi cinema's favourite tormentor is a woman who became breadwinner when she was just 11 and has undergone ups and downs that will rival any Bollywood script. Shashikala Jawalkar-Saigal, now 83, talks to Yogesh Pawar about her incredible life story that saw her sleeping on the pavements, her troubled marriage and the peace she found with Mother Teresa. Excerpts:

You've been given the Maharashtra government's Raj Kapoor Lifetime Contribution award. Your reaction?

It's a great honour. I'm very deeply touched and moved that at 83, the government thought of me. That the award was conferred in Pune where I began my film career at Prabhat films makes it that much more special.

Your Padma Shri came in 2007, the V. Shantaram Lifetime Achievement Award in 2009. Why has recognition taken so long to find you?What can I say? That's how most people reacted. It's best not to dwell on the negative. I'm 83. At this stage, it's more important that god's given me good health and sight. Frankly nothing makes me as happy as spending time with my great granddaughter.

You don't come from a filmy family...
My father Anantrao Jawalkar was a cloth merchant with a shop in Solapur. We were six siblings. My father spent almost all his money on sending his younger brother to London for education. Though he did this at the cost of his own family's well-being, his brother, once back with good job and handsome salary, forgot all about us. Meanwhile, my father went bankrupt after his business took several hits.

It must've been tough...
We often went without food for 8-10 days. We'd wait to be invited to someone's home for lunch as there wasn't enough food to even light the chullah at home. That's how I became a mela (dance-drama troupe) artiste. We travelled all through the interiors of Solapur district where we'd put up song and dance dramas based on mythology. I'd play Krishna with such aplomb that I bagged awards every year. The meagre amount I earned helped the family.

Is that how you came to cinema in 1944?
My father was told by many, "Baby (my pet name) is so beautiful and acts so well. You must get her into films." That's how I came to Mumbai. We lived with distant friends and family, often helping with menial chores and making do with leftovers. We'd go from studio to studio looking for work. Since I was 11, I was too old for child roles and too young for adult ones. Noorjehan, the reigning queen of the film industry, had fleetingly seen me once. When she and her husband Shaukat Hussain were making Zeenat, she had me tracked down because she thought I had the looks to play her daughter. When I sat across Shaukat saab he said, "Kuch bolo," and I replied, "Khaali-peeli kaiko baat karna?" (guffaws) They were making an Urdu film and here I was talking to him in Solapuri Hindi. Though I didn't get to play her daughter, I was included in a qawwali scene with others like Shyama and Shalini. To egg us on, Shaukat saab said the best performer would get Rs 25 as inaam. And guess what? I won it.

It must have meant a lot...
Of course. We bought gifts, sweets and crackers for everyone. I still remember the fancy Nagpuri paatal saris which my father bought me in pink and blue. We were celebrating Diwali after years.

Your struggle in the film industry was far from over though.This was before Partition. Both Noorjehan and Shaukat saab loved me like family. They'd put in a word and I got work. I did films with P.N. Arora, Amiya Chakravarti and several others, playing heroine to Ashok Kumar, Karan Dewan and Agha. I was making Rs.400 a month and felt on top of the world. But this phase ended in 1947 when Noorjehan decided to go to Lahore in Pakistan. And the struggle to get work began all over again.

How did you end up married at 19?You can call it infatuation or whatever. I was besotted with O.P. Saigal and married him. I thought I'd settle down but destiny kept me fettered to the camera as his business failed. Despite the money I made, I was frustrated and angry at how actresses like Shyama whom I'd beaten to the Rs.25 inaam for the qawwali in Zeenat, had graduated to lead roles while I was stuck with second leads and bit roles, even doing double shifts to keep my kitchen fires burning. Complaints from her children's ayaah and the regular fights with my husband saw me send my daughters to a boarding school in Panchgani.

Your husband also started a movie starring you.
In our industry, though it's changing now, a married girl or a young mother is not considered heroine material. I saw stardom slip away. My husband started a film with me in the lead. In the six years it took to make, Mohan Saigal became a top director. Shankar-Jaikishan became famous music directors, Kishore Kumar a top star and Kum Kum the vamp became a heroine. It did nothing for me.

How did you then become the most sought after character artiste?
After playing vamp in Vijay Anand's first direction, Nau Do Gyarah which flopped, I gave up hope. Tarachand Barjatya of Rajshri Pictures approached me to play the bhabhi – an out-and-out negative role in Aarti. I'd crib to Dadamoni (Ashok Kumar) that after this I'll quit. He'd laugh and say I'll be flooded with offers and become a star. My first shot for Aarti was with Meena Kumari. My line was, "Tere haathon mein jaadu hai air mere haathon mein jhaadu?" She may have ruled the box office then but I'm also a ziddi Maharashtrian. When the first take was okayed, Meenaji looked at me respectfully, held my chin and said in her nasal style: "Hai Allah! Bahut achcha pehla shot diya tum ne." Aarti became a silver jubilee hit and my mannerisms as bhabhi got both the masses and critics talking. After that Junglee, Anupama, Sujata, Phool Aur Pathar, Ayi Milan ki Bela, Gumrah and Waqt came back-to-back. I was nominated for the Filmfare award five times. As filmmakers queued up outside my house, Dadamoni's words were coming true.

This professional high was marred by a personal low...
Yes, destiny wasn't done with playing me a bad hand. Differences between my husband and me worsened when the kids were in boarding. That's when in a misguided moment straight out of my film Gumrah, I eloped with another man abroad, leaving behind my husband, kids and career. It was the biggest mistake of my life for which I paid dearly. I was humiliated and tortured for days till I returned crazy and broken. For days, I roamed the streets like a mad woman, sleeping on pavements, eating what I could lay my hands on, touring ashrams and temples in search of peace.

Did you find it?

Mahesh Desai, the maker of a Gujarati film, Satyavan Savitri, which had won me the best actress award in Gujarati recommended Satyanarayan Goenka's vipassana course. That helped me find peace and my bearings. I realised that the bank account wasn't going to sustain me forever and came back to do Sargam, Khubsoorat, Dulhan Wohi Jo Piya Man Bhaye, Aahista Aahista and Swami. They were all jubilee hits. And I was back in the race.

You mentioned Khubsoorat where you matched steps with Rekha in Piya Bawri? Had you learnt dance before?

No, I haven't had any training in dance. Yet I've had to match steps with even Vyjayanthimala for Vijay Bhatt's Pattrani (a role Shyama refused when told who she would dance on screen with) and Saira Banu in Jawa Mohabbat. In both these instances it was kathak maestro Gopi Kishan who helped me out. Even with Khubsoorat I was training under him. Rekha was busy and couldn't attend rehearsals. A day before the shoot, she came to watch. Gopi Kishan in his signature stylised dancer's style beckoned, "Chal re meri purani basmati, dikha apna jalwa." When I began dancing, Rekha was agape and wide-eyed. I still wonder how I managed a cabaret in Phool Aur Patthar. Robert Master would actually twist my leg painfully to teach me to twist as seductively as Helen.

Your second innings were quite good.
Yes I have very fond memories of some of those films. Shabana Azmi was a National Award winner when I did Swami with her but she would always watch every take of mine carefully and treated me with such respect. This can only come from good upbringing. I remember Ahista Ahista too very well where I really worked hard on getting the look of the tawaif changing with age, right. As an aged woman, I wore a lot of padding to look fat and Nanda and Padmini Kolhapure would go hysterical giggling when I came on the sets.

By the time you did Ghar Ghar Ki Kahani in 1988 you were ready to give it all up again.
Yes. My frustration, restlessness and anger returned. There seemed no purpose to life. All my life I'd been breadwinner for my parents, my siblings, my husband, my children. Now everyone was well-settled. I felt lonely and hollow and quit again. I tried going back to our Pune home to settle down to a regular life but wherever I went everyone was just interested in Shashikala the actress, not me.

And then you met Mother Teresa...
Yes I first saw her at an airport and felt drawn to her. When she held me close I felt all my worries disappear. I flew down to Calcutta asking my daughter Shailaja to arrange a meeting with Mother again but I could only meet Sr Agnes, Mother's right hand. I wept and asked to be allowed to stay and work with them. Seeing how adamant I was, she sent me to the ashram in Pune where I was allowed to work.Cleaning toilets, removing maggots from wounds and changing dressings, mopping the floors, I did all that with stoic brought on with prayer and it calmed me down. The nuns who had thought I'll leave in two-three days saw me devotedly doing whatever was assigned and became fond of me. Once at a chance meeting with Mother I hugged her and howled like a baby saying I don't have inner peace. That's when she assigned me to Nirmal Hriday, a home for the dying. From there to leprosy patients in Surat to the elderly in Goa, I felt like an incredible lightness for the first time in my life.

Those reserves helped while dealing with losing your daughter to cancer...It was painful but I did everything for her and prayed for her. It was that prayer perhaps that made her die in peace without suffering.

And then you came back for a third innings in front of the camera.

Yes the industry has always been kind. I have been part of big banner projects and hits like Padmashree Laloo Prasad Yadav, Rakht, Mujhse Shaadi Karogi, Chori Chori, Jhankaar Beats, Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham and Baadshah (where I played Shah Rukh Khan's mother). This time I did TV too with shows like Jeena Isi Ka Naam Apnapan, Dil Deke Dekho and Son Pari.

What next? An autobiography perhaps?
I am done now. I want to just spend my time praying and living among my loved ones. I don't think people like me should attempt autobiographies. Given what a brutally frank I am I will not be able to withhold anything. And it will end up drawing a lot of blood.

Post subject: SAGAR SARHADI
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:06 pm 

SAGAR SARHADI

Quote:
Sagar Sarhadi, writer of ‘Kabhi Kabhie’, ‘Silsila’, dead

https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 128700.ece
MUMBAI, MARCH 22, 2021 10:44 IST
UPDATED: MARCH 22, 2021 10:44 IST

Sarhadi breathed his last at his residence in the neighbourhood of Sion in Mumbai
Noted writer filmmaker Sagar Sarhadi, known for films like Kabhi Kabhie, Silsila, and Bazaar, passed away late Sunday night due to age related issues. He was 88.

Sarhadi breathed his last at his residence in the neighbourhood of Sion in Mumbai, his nephew filmmaker Ramesh Talwar told PTI.

“He passed away shortly before midnight. He wasn’t keeping well for sometime and had even stopped eating. He passed away peacefully,” Mr. Talwar said.

Sarhadi’s last rites will be held at Sion crematorium at around 11 a.m., he added.

Born as Ganga Sagar Talwar in Baffa, near Abbottabad city, now Pakistan, the writer is said to have adapted the title ‘Sarhadi’ to carry with him the connection of the frontier province, after he migrated to Delhi aged 12.

Sarhadi began his career writing Urdu short stories and became an Urdu playwright. Filmmaker Yash Chopra’s 1976 Kabhi Kabhie, starring Amitabh Bachchan and Raakhee, opened the gates for his Bollywood career.

The writer collaborated with Mr. Chopra to pen screenplay in acclaimed films like Silsila (1981) and Sridevi and Rishi Kapoor starrer Chandni, for which he wrote the dialogues.

In 1982, Sarhadi turned director with Bazaar, starring Supriya Pathak Shah, Farooq Shaikh, Smita Patil and Naseeruddin Shah.

Sarhadi is also credited with writing dialogues for superstar Shah Rukh Khan’s debut Deewana in 1992 and Hrithik Roshan’s debut Kaho Na Pyaar Hai.

Sarhadi is survived by his nephews and nieces.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:36 am 

Punjabi actor, Satish Kaul falls to covid related
complications :-(

He acted in several Hindi films

https://m-tribuneindia-com.cdn.ampproje ... ana-237301

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:35 pm 

Faraaz Khan, Bollywood actor of the 1990s died last year. We did not realize/report.

https://www.ndtv.com/entertainment/acto ... tt-2320422

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:50 am 

Shravan Rathod of Nadeem-Shravan

Quote:
https://www.indiatoday.in/movies/celebr ... source=rss

Composer Shravan Rathod of Nadeem-Shravan duo dies of Covid complications at 66 in Mumbai

Shravan Rathod of music composer duo Nadeem-Shravan died of Covid-19 complications on Thursday evening (April 22). The composer is survived by two sons.

Music composer Shravan Rathod of Nadeem-Shravan duo died of Covid-19 complications in Mumbai's S L Raheja Hospital on Thursday evening. The veteran musician was diagnosed with Covid-19 recently and he had multiple medical problems. He was kept on ventilator support. Confirming the news, Dr Kirti Bhushan of Raheja Hospital said that the cause of death is cardiomyopathy with multiple organ failure due to Covid-19. Several Bollywood celebrities took to social media to pay tribute to the late composer.
SHRAVAN RATHOD DIES OF COVID COMPLICATIONS

After battling the virus for days in Mumbai's SL Raheja Hospital, composer Shravan Rathod breathed his last on Thursday evening. He had severe heart issues and was also diabetic. Covid-19 aggravated the situation. His son, Sanjeev Rathod, has also been admitted to the hospital for Covid-19.
NADEEM IS IN DEEP PAIN AFTER SHRAVAN'S DEMISE

Nadeem Saifi, with whom Shravan composed several hit songs, mourned the loss of his partner and dear friend. Speaking to Bombay Times, Nadeem said, "I am in deep pain as I say this but my friend and my companion, my partner of so many years is no more. It has left such a vacuum. I spoke to his son who was inconsolable. We had been in touch on a regular basis for the last several days when Shravan complained of ill-health and had to be moved to a hospital. Shravan’s wife and son are also unwell and are still in the hospital.

Shravan Rathod is survived by two sons, Sanjeev and Darshan. Nadeem-Shravan were among the most popular composers of the 90s. Their hits include Aashiqi, Dil Hai Ki Maanta Nahin, Saajan, Pardes, Sadak and Dil Ka Kya Kasoor, among others. In 2000, Nadeem left India for London and the musician duo lost its charm. Their last film together as music composers was Do Knot Disturb, which released in 2009.

Post subject: Amit Mistry
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:13 pm 

Character actor Amit Mistry died of cardiac arrest.

https://indianexpress.com/article/enter ... d-7285731/

Quote:
Amit Mistry dies of cardiac arrest at 47
Amit Mistry passed away on Friday morning after suffering a major cardiac arrest at the age of 47. He was recently seen in the Amazon Prime web series Bandish Bandits.

Written by Komal RJ Panchal | Mumbai |
Updated: April 24, 2021 10:12:27 am

Popular Gujarati and Hindi film actor Amit Mistry died on Friday morning after suffering a major cardiac arrest. He was 47. His manager Maharshi Desai told indianexpress.com, “I spoke to Amit’s mother. It is true that he is no more. He passed away after suffering a massive cardiac arrest this morning. He was at his house in Andheri, Mumbai with his parents and passed away on the spot, before they could get any help.”

The manager also said that Amit had no underlying medical condition. “He woke up, had his breakfast and even exercised before he suffered a cardiac arrest. He was absolutely fit and fine,” Desai told PTI.

Amit, who was famous in the Gujarati theatre circuit and films, also did many Hindi films including Kya Kehna, Ek Chalis Ki Last Local, 99, Shor In The City, Yamla Pagla Deewana, Bey Yaar, A Gentleman among many others. He had also appeared in TV shows like Tenali Rama, Woh, Ssshhhh…Koi Hai, among others. He was recently seen in the Amazon Prime web series Bandish Bandits.

Actors Jacqueline Fernandes, Sumeet Vyas, Kubbra Sait, Rajesh Tailang, Cyrus Sahukar, Rajesh Tailang and many others offered their condolences on social media. “Bhai Amit, can’t believe this that someone so full of life is no more. Keep spreading love the way you used to wherever you are,” Rajesh tailang wrote.

Singer-actor Swanand Kirkire expressed shock at the sudden demise. “Amit Mistry? No… This is unbelievable. He was an amazing aactor and a real happy soul,” he wrote.

Filmmakers Raj and DK, who had worked extensively with the actor, wrote, “Amit Mistry was very special to us! Bhuval Ram Kuber (99), Tipu (Shor In The City), Jignesh Patel (A Gentleman), Prakhaand Pandit (Project No. 12)… every time we wrote a script, we subconsciously wrote a part for Amit. And to wake up today to the news that Amit is no more, has crushed us!
We always used to boast that Amit was our discovery. From our first film to our latest series that we are shooting, he always brought such freshness and joy to each character he played. In fact we have a set standing, where he was shooting until we had to pause the shoot. It’s going to be miserable going back to it.”

Kubbra shared, “You’ll be missed on earth @Actoramitmistry. Condolences to the family.” Vir Das shared on Twitter, “I was ready to start shooting a show that Amit Mistry is an integral part of. His talent, his insight were a thing to behold. We’ve lost a truly wonderful artist today. Rest in Peace.”

Tisca Chopra shared, “Such a lovely guy, totally chill.. deepest condolences to the family .. RIP #AmitMistry.”

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:45 am 

Bikramjeet Kanwarpal

Bikramjeet Kanwarpal

https://indianexpress.com/article/enter ... s-7297628/

Quote:
Bikramjeet Kanwarpal passes away due to Covid-19 complications
Bikramjeet Kanwarpal passed away on Friday due to Covid-19 complications. He was 52.

By: Entertainment Desk | New Delhi |
Updated: May 2, 2021 8:22:56 am

Actor Bikramjeet Kanwarpal, who has been a part of many popular films, TV shows and web series, passed away on Friday due to Covid-19 complications. He was 52.

Filmmaker Ashoke Pandit mourned the loss of the talented actor on Twitter. He tweeted, “Sad to hear about the demise of actor Major Bikramjeet Kanwarpal this morning due to #Covid. A retired army officer, Kanwarpal had played supporting roles in many films and television serials. Heartfelt condolences to his family & near ones.”

Bikramjeet Kanwarpal made his acting debut in 2003 after retiring from the Indian Army. He starred in films like Page 3, Rocket Singh: Salesman of the Year, Aarakshan, Murder 2, 2 States and The Ghazi Attack among others.

On television, he played prominent roles in shows like Diya Aur Baati Hum, Yeh Hai Chahatein, Dil Hi Toh Hai and Anil Kapoor’s 24.

He was last seen in Disney Plus Hotstar’s popular web series Special Ops.

After news of Bikramjeet Kanwarpal’s demise emerged online, celebrities took to social media to mourn the demise. Neil Nitin Mukesh posted on Instagram, “Extremely sad news . I’ve known Major Bikramjeet for so many years. He and I have worked on so many films together. The last being Bypass Road. Such a fantastic, encouraging and energetic human being he was and will always be remembered as. #RIP My dear friend will miss you”.

Singer-composer Vishal Dadlani paid tribute to the late actor as he tweeted, “A man who lent dignity to everything he did, #BikramjeetKanwarpal carried the Fauji stamp. Jai Hind, Sir.” Actor and voice-over artist Ashwin Mushran remembered his first meeting with Kanwarpal as he shared, “Bikramjeet Kanwarpal passed away. I first met him standing in line for an audition all the way back in 2003 – 2004. We bumped into each other many times over the years and did keep in touch on and off. Goodbye Major… We’ll meet in another line someplace somewhere.”

Actor Gulshan Devaiah recalled, “During my early days acted alongside him in a corporate play for Tata. He told me many stories about casting and movies. Call me Bizz he used to say. Sad news man .. sad news.” Ronnie Lahiri, Sophie Choudary and Nimrat Kaur also posted their condolences on social media.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:37 am 

VANRAJ BHATIA

Quote:
https://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/music/liril-to-tamas-vanraj-bhatia-who-set-the-soundtrack-of-a-generation-dies-at-93-7306476/

Composer Vanraj Bhatia, who scored Tamas, Manthan, passes away
Bhatia, a leading Indian composer of western music, who also composed for Indian cinema and television, died of age-related health complications in Mumbai on Friday. He was 93.

Written by Suanshu Khurana | New Delhi |
Updated: May 8, 2021 10:47:03 am

ONE OF filmmaker Shyam Benegal’s finest works from the 80s, Bharat Ek Khoj, the majestic adaptation of Jawaharlal Nehru’s Discovery of India, opened every Sunday on Doordarshan with Rig Veda chants set to electronic music — with synths and drums creating a voltaic web. It was an odd combination that somehow worked. At the helm of affairs was composer Vanraj Bhatia.

“His ideas were extremely original and he wouldn’t imitate anyone,” says Benegal, most of whose projects had Bhatia at the helm. Be it Ankur, Manthan, Bhoomika, Mandi, Sardari Begum, Bharat Ek Khoj or his advertisements — Benegal’s every project came with music from Bhatia. “When I look back at the music he made for my films, I think it was quite extraordinary,” he says.

A leading Indian composer of western music, who also composed for Indian cinema and television, Bhatia passed away in Mumbai on Friday. He was 93 and was suffering from age-related health complications.

Benegal’s Manthan (Churning) — his significant film set against the backdrop of Varghese Kurian’s Operation Flood that was a lesson in rural empowerment, caste, gender and privilege – opened with singer Preeti Sagar crooning Mero gaam katha parey along with daflis, dholak and a bunch of ektaras. “It remains one of my best songs,” says Sagar, who won the National Award for Best Female Singer that year.

The song was composed in 1976, but it kept finding an audience as Amul continued to use it. “I have never known anyone with the sense of musicality that he had and how he could immediately get under the skin of anything — the cosmopolitan character of the city– the Gujarati side, the Maharashtrian side, the South Indian side. Be it Hindustani or western or a unique combination of both, he made it work,” says Benegal, who adds that there wasn’t a single meeting where the two didn’t squabble. “But we were able to speak the same language.”

Bhatia grew up in a Kuchhi business family in Mumbai, which had nothing to do with music. He learned Hindustani classical music as a child. But it was a Tchaikovsky composition playing at his close friend Jehangir Sabavala’s home that made him fall in love with western classical music as a teenager. He fought with his family to study music at Royal College of Music in London followed by training under the legendary French composer and teacher Nadia Boulanger, whose other students were American composer Phillip Glass, American composer and musician Quincy Jones and avante garde Russian composer Igor Markevitch. He remains the only Indian student she ever had.

Bhatia returned to India armed with a wealth of knowledge of western classical music and a base in Hindustani classical music. He worked as the head of Music Department at Delhi University for a few years and then returned to Mumbai to work in advertising.

The world of advertising was not as conformist as that of Indian cinema, where directors came with pre-conceived notions, something that never suited Bhatia. Although his ambition was to write music for popular films, he wasn’t quite succeeding in that. So apart from almost 7,000 jingles — including Liril, Thumbs Up and Dulux among others and some film projects from the marquee of parallel cinema such as Sooraj ka Saatvaan Ghoda, Jane Bhi Do Yaaron and 36 Chowrangee Lane among others, he composed for many TV shows — such as Waaghle Ki Duniya and Banegi Apni Baat. There were out and out classical compositions like Raah mein bichhi hain and Ghir ghir aaye badariya in Sardari Begum and out and out modern disco pieces such as What’s your problem by Sagar in Kalyug.

But it was Tamas — Govind Nihalani’s gut-wrenching adaptation of Bhisham Sahani’s powerful work of the same name showcasing the saga of separation during Partition – that got him some recognition and a National Award. He was also awarded Padma Shri in 2012.

Bhatia loved working with orchestras and would specifically write for each section because his knowledge of harmony was extraordinary. In 2019, when multiple Grammy-winning American cellist Yo-Yo Ma performed at NCPA in Mumbai, he selected two of Bhatia’s pieces for his encore. Bhatia’s friend and musician Zubin Balaporia was present in the audience. “It was a celebratory occasion for a great Indian composer. But I always felt that he didn’t get his due. He deserved so much more,” says Balaporia.

A few months ago, composer Ehsaan Noorani had also requested financial aid for Bhatia, who, towards the end, was short on money. But he woke up every day and wrote music. He completed his magnum opus — an opera named Agnivarsha – before he passed.

“He found himself strangely enough in a place where he wouldn’t have flowered. But he loved living in Mumbai. I wonder about the success of Vanraj Bhatia if he wasn’t in India and had embraced the west,” says Benegal.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 3:26 pm 

RAAM LAXMAN

Quote:
Hum Aapke Hain Koun music director Raam Laxman dies at 78: Salman Khan, Madhuri Dixit and Lata Mangeshkar pay tribute
Popular music composer Raam Laxman, known for composing music for films like Maine Pyar Kiya, Hum Aapke Hain Koun among others, passed away on Saturday.

Written by Komal RJ Panchal | Mumbai |
Updated: May 22, 2021 6:40:38 pm

Popular music composer Raam Laxman passed away in the early hours of Saturday in Nagpur following a heart attack. He was 78. His son Amar told indianexpress.com, “My father passed away at 2:00 am on Saturday. He died due to a heart attack. He got the second jab of Covid-19 vaccine a few days ago, following which he was feeling very weak and fatigued, and a doctor was treating him for that.”

Raam Laxman was known for composing the music for films like Maine Pyar Kiya, Hum Aapke Hain Koun, Hum Saath Saath Hain, 100 Days among others.

Bollywood superstar Salman Khan mourned the demise of Raam Laxman. “Ram Laxman, music director of my successful films like maine pyaar kiya, patthar ke phool, hum saath saath hain, hum apke hain kaun has sadly passed away. May his soul rest in peace. Condolences to the bereaved family,” he tweeted.

Lata Mangeshkar also expressed her condolences. She shared on Twitter, “I just learned that the extremely talented and popular music composer Raam Laxman ji (Vijay Patil) has passed away. I am very sorry to hear this. He was a great man. I sang many of his songs which got very popular. I pay him my respects.”

Lata Mangeshkar gave vocals to popular Raam Laxman songs like “Maye Ni Maye”, “Didi Tera Dewar Deewana” and “Kabootar Ja Ja Ja” among others.

Rajshri Productions also mourned the demise of Raam Laxman, “Music Composer Vijay Patil a.k.a Laxman of the iconic #RaamLaxman duo passed away. Our deepest condolences to his family in this tough time. Rajshri will always remember him for his immense contribution to the music industry. May his soul Rest In Peace.”

Born as Vijay Patil, the music composer began his career as Laxman of the Raam Laxman duo. His partner Surendra, Raam of the duo, passed away in 1976 soon after they signed the film Agent Vinod. Vijay continued to use his partner’s name in his creations nevertheless to honour his memory.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:02 pm 

Kannada Actor SANCHARI VIJAY To Live-On:

Not sure how many of Hindi Cinema follwers know this name but he sure will be famous post his departure & he sure deserves to.
He sure will live-on in many organ (his) recipients.
Quote:
https://www.indiatoday.in/movies/region ... source=rss

Kannada actor Sanchari Vijay declared brain-dead, family to donate his organs

National Award-winning Kannada actor Sanchari Vijay has been declared brain-dead. Sanchari Vijay, on June 12, met with an accident while he was returning home from his friend's place. He was on his motorbike. The actor was very critical and was being treated at a hospital in Bangalore. His family has decided to donate his organs.
SANCHARI VIJAY DECLARED BRAIN-DEAD

Kannada actor Sanchari Vijay had sustained serious injuries on Saturday, June 12, after he got into a road accident. He was moved to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of a private hospital in Bengaluru. According to reports, the actor met with an accident while he was on his way back home from his friend's place. The actor has reportedly suffered injuries in the right portion of the brain and in the thigh region. Today, on June 14, Vijay has been declared brain-dead.

Speaking to a news channel earlier, neurosurgeon Arun Nayak had said that Sanchari Vijay is very critical. “The health condition of Sanchari Vijay is very critical. As he had blood clot in the brain, we have performed a surgery, the next 48 hours is going to be critical,” the doctor had said.

Sanchari Vijay made his debut with the film Rangappa Hogbitna in 2011. He has appeared in a slew of Kannada films including Dasavala, Harivu, Oggarane, Killing Veerappan, Varthamana and Sipaayi among others. He rose to fame with the film Naanu Avanalla Avalu, which also fetched him his first National Award.

Quote:
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm7216594/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_2

Sanchari Vijay was born in 1983 in India. He was an actor, known for Naanu Avanalla... Avalu (2015), Killing Veerappan (2016) and Gentleman (2020). He died on June 14, 2021 in Bengaluru, Karnataka, India. See full bio »
Born: 1983 in India
Died: June 14, 2021 (age 38) in Bengaluru, Karnataka, India

Filmography

2021 Taledanda
Kunna @ Kunne Gowda
2021 Melobba Maayaavi
2020 Gentleman
2019 Aatakkuntu Lekkakkilla
2019 Aduva Gombe
Madhava
2018 Nathicharami
Suresh
2018 Padarasa
2018 The Best Actor (Short)
Ravi
2018 Brand
2018 6ne Maili
2018 Pirangipura
2018 Krishnatulasi
Krishna
2018 Varthamana
Hero
2017 Nan Magale Heroine
2017 Maarikondavaru
2017 Hosa Anubhava
2017 Shuddhi
Urs
2017 Allama
Basavanna
2016 Riktha
Ghost
2016 Sipaayi
Manju
2016 Cinema My Darling
2016 Killing Veerappan
STF Officer Gopal
2015 Dil Say (Short)
2015 Naanu Avanalla... Avalu
Madesha / Vidya
2014 Harivu
2014 Un Samayal Arayil
2013 Dasavala
2011 Rangappa Hogbitna
Krishna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:07 pm 

CHANDRASHEKHAR (Cha Cha Cha, Street Singer, Active till recently)

Born: July 7, 1923 in Hyderabad, Hyderabad State, British India
Died: June 16, 2021 (age 97) in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

(At zulm.net, we have talked about him in many threads/ posts, lately)
Quote:
https://www.nationalheraldindia.com/obi ... rora-mourn

Chandrashekhar: Hindi cinema’s oldest actor no more

Bollywood legends mourn Ramayan actor Chandrashekhar's demise. "He was omnipresent, I can’t remember a time when Chandrashekhar Ji was not part of our movie industry", recalls Asha Parekh

Chandrashekhar who passed away on Wednesday was the best exemplification of the adage, ‘Dying With Your Boots On.’. As a leading man or as supporting actor, or as assistant director (to Gulzar in a slew of films in the 1970s) Chandrashekhar was just happy being part of the Hindi film industry.

He started his career as a junior artiste in the early 1950s . Officially he is supposed to have acted in 250 films since then. But the number is actually said to be far higher.

“He was omnipresent. I can’t remember a time when Chandrashekhar Ji was not part of our movie industry. He was the first to cast my dear friend Helen as a leading lady in Cha Cha Cha which was a big hit,” recalls Asha Parekh who shared screen space with Chandrashekhar in Shakti Samanta’s Kati Patang.

The prolific filmmaker Shakti Samanta was a regular caster of Chandrashekhar. He appeared in any number of Shaktida’s films in the 1970s, sometimes in walk-on parts. It could be just a guest in a party sequence or a professor in the classroom, the length of the role never mattered to Chandrashekar. He was happy just being a part if the entertainment business in any capacity.

Veteran actress Mala Sinha remembers Chandrashekhar fondly. “I must have done many films where he had a role. I remember Jahan Ara and Anpadh, two of my most important films. He was there. Disciplined, dedicated, focused.”

In the 1980s Chandrashekhar kept himself busy playing a role, albeit a secondary one in Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan. Apparently all the pivotal roles were already cast when Chandrashekhar expressed a desire to be part of this epic endeavour.

Last edited by rana on Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next