It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:26 am 

when shot simultaneously, unless the two cameras sit on each other, won't there be a difference in perspective (even if composition is "intended/ attempted" to be same)?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:21 pm 

newDEEP [go-green] wrote:
when shot simultaneously, unless the two cameras sit on each other, won't there be a difference in perspective (even if composition is "intended/ attempted" to be same)?

Actually, by simultaneously I meant at the same time i.e. they shoot the scene twice.3 It's just like taking multiple takes of the same scene.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:06 am 

The new 3-d version is the same as the previous theatrical release, but longer -- 207 minutes -- because additional opening and closing credits. The differences are -- re-recorded (in surround sound) audio (retaining the original voices of the actors and singers), 3-d conversion (admirable job) and some 3-d elements added.
rana wrote:
a snap taken inside a theatre of the 3-d version ;-)

Picture content in this shot is top and bottom cut off from what's in Director's Cut 4:3 EROS DVD. Obviously 40-45% cut off at top and bottom.

DEI-EROS picture content, as we know, is cut even further as sides too have been cut off.

Caralotta PAL DVD (Best Sholay DVD so far) picture content is similar to what's in this screen shot (40-45 % cut off ofrom 4:3 EROS DVD). Actually, Caralotta DVD picture is slightly cut off at top and bottom compared to this screen shot. At bottom picture is cut off at Dharmendra's bottom button (see two white dots). Same amount is cut off at the top too.

Director's Cut EROS DVD picture is 4:3. Has the most picture. No other DVD edition or theatrical Sholay-3D has extra picture coverage in any of 4 sides. (all are 40-45% picture coverage cut; DEI-EROS is 50-60% cut as it's cut from sides too).

Director's Cut EROS DVD picture is 4:3 but CC is 2.35:1 and hardly readable. CC date it shows is Aug 12, 1975. Film Gage appears to be filled in as 35mm. Film Length is not readable. Guaranteed, there is no co-relation between CC and film content (Censors never passed what's in Director's Cut).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:10 am 

Sanjay wrote:

Actually, by simultaneously I meant at the same time i.e. they shoot the scene twice.3 It's just like taking multiple takes of the same scene.

But that's even more chance/ room for perceptible differences!

Did it really happen that way? I though Ramesh Sippy said that because the cameras were mounted together, the equipment was slow to move and contributed to the languid look of the film. So doesn't that mean that the every scene was being shot at the same time and moment by two different cameras placed next to each other?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:13 am 

I though Ramesh Sippy said that because the cameras were mounted together, the equipment was slow to move and contributed to the languid look of the film.

Did he really? I thought he was simply referring to the weight and heft of the 70mm camera/equipment.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:42 pm 

The SHOLAY comicbooks (graphic novels)!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:52 am 

Calling Rana, Ali, all Zulmis!

Apropos http://www.zulm.net/of/printthread.php?threadid=503
Quote:
For the first 135 min both are identical (except for censor cert, aprox 1/2 min in Director's cut)

Zulmis will be happy to know that one more difference exists in the first 135 minutes! Yes!! Immediately after Gabbar shoots Kalia and 2 others (after maniacal laughter all around)!

In director's cut, Gabbar, still bent with the pistol in his hand, looks all around with quick jerky movements of his head, menacingly, as if daring anyone to continue laughing. Then there are 3 cut shots (closeups) of the three dead bandits. Sambha is showing waving his hand as if saying "what a waste" or "they deserved this".

This part is missing from the theatrical cut.

SHOLAY legend continues!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:49 am 

Good find, Newdeep.

How can we edit add your post where I posted your quoted my quote ??
Can you give me link to my post (I couldn't find it thru your posted link).

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:21 am 

Thanks Rana.
I found your post here:
http://www.zulm.net/of/printthread.php?threadid=503

I am not sure how to edit it. @Ali bhai -- please help!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:59 pm 

Calling Rana, Ali, all Zulmis!

Apropos http://www.zulm.net/of/printthread.php?threadid=503
Quote:
For the first 135 min both are identical (except for censor cert, aprox 1/2 min in Director's cut)

Zulmis will be happy to know that one more difference exists in the first 135 minutes! Yes!! Immediately after Gabbar shoots Kalia and 2 others (after maniacal laughter all around)!

In director's cut, Gabbar, still bent with the pistol in his hand, looks all around with quick jerky movements of his head, menacingly, as if daring anyone to continue laughing. Then there are 3 cut shots (closeups) of the three dead bandits. Sambha is showing waving his hand as if saying "what a waste" or "they deserved this".

This part is missing from the theatrical cut.

SHOLAY legend continues!

Earlier thread is not fully functional, so copying relevant info about version differences here:
(What Newdeep found was not mentioned earlier)
Quote:
Posted by rana on 9th May 2001 11:50

SECOND BY SECOND account of DIFFERENCES (Total difference is 6min. 35 sec.) between Director's Cut (EROS-B4U) and previously released (EROS-DEI; theatrical release) version of SHOLAY:

1) Directors cut has 15 sec. extra (i.e. the movie stars from 15 sec earlier) at the beginning (not counting the Censors cert for about 10 sec. and another 10 sec. for EROS logo)
(both versions are identical for next 78 min)
2) Director's cut has 7 sec. extra for 'a village person on fire during a raid by Gabar'.
3) Director's cut has 108 sec. extra for 'pre-torture footage of a young village boy, Sachin (showing Gabar's ruthlessness)'.
4) Director's cut has 43 sec. extra for 'Ramlal fitting metal-spiked studs on Thakur's shoes'.
5) Director's cut has 82 sec. extra for, 'Hema Malini kidnapping and Dharaminder reaching Gabbar hide-out'. This scene is aprox 8 min long, mostly horse riding. The sequence of events in the two versions is different. In the Directors cut, Dharminder is in hot pursuit of the dacoits before Hema is captured. In Director's cut Dharminder appears after Hema has been captured and hence has to look for hints where to go. This gives extra intensity to the situation. In the theatrical version, as we are shown that Hema is being chased by the dacoits and the dacoits are being chased by Dharminder, the seriousness of the situation is a little bit less intense.
6) Director's cut has 45 sec. extra for, 'Veeru (Dharminder) dragging a bandit with a neck-noose galluping on horse- back'. The beginning of this shot, after Amitabh dies, is different. In Director's cut, Dharminder is shown, taking the rope along for his horse-back. In the theatrical version, he goes on the horse without the rope.
7) Director's cut has 95 sec. extra for, more graphic footage of the fight between Gabar and Thakur and for Dharminder consoling Thakur in the film's ending.

FURTHER COMMENTS:
1) Theatrical release is by no means incomplete. It was redundant to show the metal studs being installed as they were not used in that version ending. Similarly the remaining scene differences are appropriate for the intensity of the version being presented.

2) I found Dharminder-Amitabh IN and OUT of jail sequences, (Dharminder, Amitabh, Asrani, Jagdeep) mixed up. Perhaps the film reels were assembled out of order.
CHECKED AND EDITED: Sequence is O.K. I just missed about 5 sec. portion initially, which connects the sequence.

3) It is odd that Uncensored version (Director's cut)has censor cert. attached and the censored version (EROS-DEI) has no censor cert.

Rana

[Edited by rana on 18th May 2001 at 15:45]

Posted by rana on 8th August 2001 14:14

Back in May, I didn't mention the ending of SOLAY so as not to spoil the viewing. But, I am sure, everybody on zulm.net has seen SHOLAY at least once. Also, someone wanted a confirmation on the EROS-DEI SHOLAY ending. I did check it this morning.

In the EROS-DEI version as Thakur is about to smash Gabbar, police arrives and reason with Thakur to let the law take its own course. Thakur leaves the scene in frustration and they show Gabbar being handcuffed. The next scene if the funeral pyre for Jai.

Rana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:44 pm 

http://www.zulm.net/of/showthread.php?threadid=503

I'd also taken help from your posts to give information on the Blu Ray forum. Barely did anyone know that there were so many differences.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:33 am 

now across the border!

http://www.abplive.in/movies/2015/02/06 ... stan-debut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:46 pm 

Abt the theme song, written straight from the heart:

http://www.livemint.com/Leisure/llWQgln ... iumph.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:09 pm 

Rejoice!
You can watch the 2-D version of last year's 3-D version of SHOLAY (which had a cleaned up picture and and a new redone soundtrack) on HOTSTAR at http://www.hotstar.com/movies/sholay/1770002773/watch (after paying something as low as Rs. 199 per month for one month)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14