It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:16 am 

I guess, Cult Film is defined as:

A cult film, also commonly referred to as a cult classic, is a film that has acquired a cult following. Cult films are known for their dedicated, passionate fanbase, an elaborate subculture that engage in repeated viewings, quoting dialogue, and audience participation.

Obviously, if a film flops at it's release but acquires a cult status, eventually it will become a successful/ profitable film.
(Sure there are cult films that were success/ Hit/ Super Hit/ Blockbuster at their release, like Sholay, Dil Wale Dulhaniya Le Jaayenge )

I will start off the discussion with 5 films that I saw in Times Of India article "Cult Hindi films that flopped" :
On Top is Mera Naam Joker, followed by Shaan, Agneepath (Amitabh), Lamhe, Andaaz Apna Apna.

Quote:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ente ... 856115.cms

Cult Hindi films that flopped
December 24, 2013

1/5 Cult Hindi films that flopped
Mera Naam Joker:
Raj Kapoor was the original showman of Bollywood. An accomplished actor, producer and director, he had great films to his credit. Mera Naam Joker, which released in 1970, was supposed to be Kapoor’s magnum opus, but unfortunately it did not strike a chord with the audience. Based on the life of a joker, the film bombed at the box-office. The film took six years to be made and Raj’s son, Rishi Kapoor, made his debut as a child artist in the film. The film also put the family at stake, financially. It was however, eventually considered a classic.

2/5 Cult Hindi films that flopped
Shaan:
After the hit film, Sholay, Ramesh Sippy tried his hands at a action-thriller. Shaan, which was supposed to be Sippy’s follow up to Sholay, failed to live up to the audience’s expectations and was considered a flop upon release. However, perceptions have changed over the years and Shaan is considered a cult classic today.

3/5 Cult Hindi films that flopped
Agneepath:
The fact that this film was remade in 2012 shows what an inspiring film it was! First made in 1990 with Amitabh Bachchan playing the iconic character of Vijay Deenanath Chauhan, the film bombed at the box-office and was bashed by the critics too. Surprisingly, Big B won a National Award for his performance in the film and over a period of years, this film was considered a classic and an exemplary film that inspired Dharma Productions to remake it with Hrithik Roshan playing the lead role of Amitabh Bachchan. The remake, however, fetched the numbers too, at the ticket windows.

4/5 Cult Hindi films that flopped
Lamhe:
Lamhe was a film that was certainly ahead of its time. With astounding performances by Sridevi, Anil Kapoor and Anupam Kher, the film was about love and its capability to transcend the age barrier. The film, however, wasn't as appreciated at the box-office. Directed by Yash Chopra, Lamhe explored a theme that was perhaps too hard for the Indian audience to digest. Over a period of time, the film was appreciated and became a cult classic. It is considered as one of the must-watch films of Bollywood.

5/5 Cult Hindi films that flopped
Andaz Apna Apna:
For Hindi movie buffs, Andaz Apna Apna is a must-watch and is considered as an iconic Bollywood comedy starring Salman and Aamir Khan. Replete with humorous dialogue and a fantastic performance by Aamir and Salman, the film, though a flop in its time, has a cult following, especially amongst the youth today. A sequel to the film is in the offing for a long time now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:59 am 

What about Kaagaz Ke Phool and Silsila?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:54 pm 

Ragz wrote:
What about Kaagaz Ke Phool and Silsila?

Kaagaz Ke Phool
Silsila

Yes, we can add Kaagaz Ke Phool and Silsila in the list too.
I think, Kaagaz Ke Phool will rank at # 2 after Mera Naam Joker.
Was Silsila a flop ?? It did not do too well initially, but I think it picked up quickly ??

Any more, you can think of ??

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:44 pm 

http://www.indiatimes.com/entertainment ... 30695.html
Can't vouch for the accuracy, but here's a broader list.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:32 am 

Ragz wrote:
http://www.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/18-great-bollywood-movies-that-were-actually-flops-when-they-released-230695.html
Can't vouch for the accuracy, but here's a broader list.

Nice compilation.
I still trust that info in zulm will stay available much longer than other websites, so I'm copy pasting it here:

Quote:
http://www.indiatimes.com/entertainment ... 30695.html

1. Mera Naam Joker

This was supposed to be Raj Kapoor's magnum opus and took almost six years to make! Based on the life of a joker, it also marked Rishi Kapoor's Bollywood debut. The only guess I can make about it is that perhaps it was way ahead of its time, so the audience just couldn't get it. But now of course, it's considered to be one of the most classic movies of all time, and rightly so!

2. Sholay

I clearly remember my mom breaking it down to me that Sholay was actually a big-time flop when it first came out. But why did the entire family get together to see it every time it came on Doordarshan? I was really young and for years I thought that she was just taking my case. Until recently, when I got to know that the flick was seriously a major flop when it first came out. We've developed a better sense of humour over the years, right?

3. Shaan

The first thing that comes to my mind is a bald Kulbushan Kharbanda, super evil throughout the flick. Now how can a movie with such an iconic villain be a flop? Sounds crazy, right? Anybody who has a genuine love for cinema would definitely agree. In fact, this was supposed to be a sort of follow up to Sholay by Ramesh Sippi. And it also had the iconic pairing of Shashi Kapoor and Amitabh Bachchan. That's the makings of a great movie right there!

4. Agneepath

Okay, the very fact that the movie was worthy of being remade proves the fact that it was quite something. Remember Amitabh Bachchan, in the raw avatar of Vijay Deenanath Chauhan? Of course you do. Like anybody can forget that character! Now I have no idea what was wrong with people in 1990, because how can someone not like a great drama flick with such great action? In fact, Amitabh Bachchan even bagged a National Award for this one.

5. Lamhe

This is one movie that never ceases to amaze me. It came out in 1991, and I bet the audience certainly wasn't mature enough back then to accept the love story between a young girl and an older man. The story was written by Honey Irani, and full points to her for bringing us such a different take on love and relationships. Even the cast of the flick was bang on, with Anil Kapoor, Sridevi, and Anupam Kher giving superb performances. Now with the audience maturing over time, the film is considered to be a must-watch flick of Bollywood.

6. Kaagaz Ke Phool

To think that a Guru Dutt movie could be a flop actually surprises me and makes me want to chuckle at the same time. Unbelievable, right? But this movie suffered from the same problem Lamhe suffered from - it was way ahead its time and way too complex for the then audience to accept and appreciate it. The movie told the story of a Bollywood director and his rise and fall in the industry. The film bombed big time at the box office and Guru Dutt was left disappointed. If only he knew back then what a masterpiece he had created!

7. The Burning Train

This Ravi Chopra action flick released way back in 1980 and could well have been an inspiration for the Hollywood flick Speed! Even back in the day, when technology hadn't bloomed as such, the makers managed to shoot with fire and put in special effects in the movie. Sadly, the film tanked at the box office. With some iconic songs to its credit, the movie is now considered a classic Bollywood flick.

8. Umrao Jaan

Oh boy! Just how gorgeous and graceful can a lady look on screen? I mean, shouldn't there be an upper limit to that? Rekha, undoubtedly, broke all records of grace, poise, and beauty with this film! The historical setting, the costumes, the amazing performances by the ensemble cast, the heartfelt story line and the heartbreaking end of the movie, almost everything was perfect in this film. Sadly the film couldn't garner much at the box office. Yet, it won four national awards, and now is a must watch Bollywood movie!

9. Silsila

I actually cannot figure out the logic behind why this movie flopped. I mean it had everything going for it. In fact, it was sort of based on the real life love triangle between the lead actors, Amitabh Bachhan, Jaya Bachchan, and Rekha. Also, it was shot at the most beautiful locales, and had some lovely songs in it. Yet, it failed to make a place for itself in the audience's hearts. And now it is one of the major cult classics of Bollywood.

10. Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro

The reason why this movie failed at the box office is pretty clear. The audience really didn't get the concept of satire back in the 80s, which is precisely what this movie was. And a confused audience = a flop movie. Unfortunately that's how it usually works, and that's what happened with this film. It was based on two photographers, who in a bid to make it big, end up being dragged into the world of corruption in our country. Even the cast of the film, Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri, Ravi Baswani, Pankaj Kapur, gave us some great performances. And eventually some sense prevailed, and this movie achieved a cult status.

11. Andaz Apna Apna

Yeah, it's almost funny that such a hilarious movie tanked at the box office! With some superb performances, especially from Salman and Aamir Khan, the movie has achieved a cult status among the youth of the country. In fact, it's one of those movies you absolutely have to see with your gang of friends! Even the girls of the movie, Karishma Kapoor and Raveena Tandon did a great job, and all the characters in the movie were oh so adorable!

12. Oye Lucky Lucky Oye

This movie came out only one year before Abhay Deol went to star in another cult classic, Dev D. Maybe that's the reason it tanked at the box office. If people were to know that it's got Abahy Deol, who could nail the classic role of Dev from Dev D, and also future National Award winner Richa Chadha, perhaps they'd have perceived it differently. Nonetheless, Abahy, Richa, and Paresh Rawal gave extraordinary performances in this one, and now a few years down the line, the movie is considered to be a great one!

13. Rocket Singh

This was the first time Ranbir Kapoor was playing a Sikh in a movie, with a turban and a beard! The story line of the movie was actually genius, and it showed how youngsters in the sales field have to slog it out! And how Ranbir's character, who is supposed to be a loser, overcomes all odds to start his own company. With Ranbir giving a skillfully understated performance, and Gauhar Khan, surprisingly, acting really well, the movie still tanked at the box office. But after a few years, the film was considered to be one of the greatest movies of our times, and Ranbir even won a Filmfare for it.

14. Pyar Ka Punchnama

This movie is a classic example of great content being booed down by the audience because of lack of star presence in a movie. This small time movie, made with six (yes!) Bollywood debutantes was nothing short brilliant! It depicted today's youth and their love woes to perfection. Despite being debutantes, each and every actor in the movie suited their characters to perfection. Remember the scene with Rajjo's 5-minute speech on girlfriends? Even though the movie didn't garner much appreciation at the box office at first, a few years down the line, it's an absolute must watch and classic among today's youth.

15. Lakshya

Perhaps the fact that the movie was actually three hours long worked against it. Because apart from that, I cannot find any sane reason for this movie to be a flop. Both Hrithik and Preity gave commendable performances in this one, and director Farhan Akhtar's vision was totally bang on! The story line of a clueless young guy who finally finds himself is something which the youth of this country identifies with. Which is precisely the reason why it's considered a cult classic of our times!

16. Dil Se

The film actually reminds me of the South flick Roja whenever I think of it. Maybe because both the movies dealt with the delicate plot of terrorism and love. But again the audience perhaps found it a tad too serious for their taste and it tanked at the box office. Years down the line, it's not too tough to call this movie a cult classic, because it gave us some superb music from AR Rahman, a well made, sensitive movie from Mani Ratnam, and the dimpled beauty Preity Zinta!

17. Swades

This is one movie which made absolute sense, was super logical, and had almost everything going on for it. You know, Shahrukh Khan and all! But it's a classic case of a movie not doing well because of the lack of glam factor. It was a coming of age tale of an Indian NASA scientist, and how he eventually moves back to the country after seeing for himself how much the nation needed him. Despite not being a blockbuster, the movie achieved a cult status simply because of its content and what it brought to the table.

18. Rockstar

This is one of the most recent movies from the lot, but it had the same problem. It failed to make an impression at the box office. But I think that's got more to do with Nargis Fakhri's not so good acting skills (and the pout, may be?) and the fact that the plot didn't have something concrete to justify Ranbir's character's growth to become a frustrated musician. But barring that, this movie perhaps is Ranbir's best acting performance till date. Now it's considered a cult movie of recent times.

Apart from these movies, Guru and Dev D remain two epic movies of our times which weren't flops per se, but picked up with the audience really slowly. Guru, perhaps Abhishek Bachchan's acting career's only saving grace, and Dev D, which sort of revived Abhay Deol's career, were actually great movies which took their own sweet time to strike a chord with the audience, but were eventually declared hits.