It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: SHOLAY 3D (2014)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:39 pm 

Movie: SHOLAY 3D
Cinema Release: 3 January 2014
Cast: Amitabh Bachchan, Dhamendra, Sanjeev Kumar, Hema Malini, Jaya Bhaduri, Amjad Khan, Sachin, AK Hangal, Jagdeep, Asrani, Leela Mishra, Mac Mohan, Viju Khote et cetera.
Director: Ramesh Sippy
Genre: Action/Adventure/Romance/Drama

Sholay (English translation: Embers) is a 1975 action-adventure Hindi film directed by Ramesh Sippy and produced by his father G. P. Sippy. The film follows two criminals, Veeru and Jai (played by Dharmendra and Amitabh Bachchan), hired by a retired police officer (Sanjeev Kumar) to capture the ruthless dacoit Gabbar Singh (Amjad Khan). Hema Malini and Jaya Bhaduri also star, as Veeru and Jai's love interests. Sholay is considered a classic and one of the best Indian films. It was ranked first in the British Film Institute's 2002 poll of "Top 10 Indian Films" of all time. In 2005, the judges of the 50th annual Filmfare Awards named it the Best Film of 50 Years.

The film was shot in the rocky terrain of Ramanagara, in the southern state of Karnataka, over a span of two and a half years. After the Central Board of Film Certification mandated the removal of several violent scenes, Sholay was released with a length of 198 minutes. In 1990, the original director's cut of 204 minutes became available on home media. When first released, Sholay received negative critical reviews and a tepid commercial response, but favourable word-of-mouth publicity helped it to become a box office success. It broke records for continuous showings in many theatres across India, and ran for more than five years at Mumbai's Minerva theatre. By some accounts, Sholay is the highest grossing Indian film of all time, adjusted for inflation.

In March 2012, Shaan Uttam Singh, the grandson of producer G.P. Sippy, said that he would sponsor a conversion of the film to 3D. The 3D version is going to release on 3 January 2014. It took INR 25 crore (US$3.8 million) to convert Sholay into 3D format.

Trailer: SHOLAY 3D

Post subject: Re: SHOLAY 3D (2014)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:43 pm 

UTV to release SHOLAY in 3D

UTV Motion Pictures has announced the release of the biggest blockbusters of all-time – SHOLAY in 3D for 3rd Jan 2014. The indomitable writer-duo Salim and Javed Akhtar unveiled the 3D trailer and were overwhelmed by the stupendous response. Maya Digital Studios worked on the 2D to 3D conversion of the film providing an entirely new viewing experience to audiences.

“It’s been an honor and pleasure to convert Sholay into 3D. Sasha Sippy, the producer of the film wanted to enhance the magic of this film, and make sure that it continues to reign supreme in the heart of film lovers, even in the years to come. It was precisely then that I suggested the idea of converting Sholay into 3D”, says Ketan Mehta, MD, Maya Digital Studios and one of India’s most internationally acclaimed directors.

“Sholay is my love. I started my career in 1989. At that time there used to be lines of people wanting to buy the video cassette of Sholay. When the film released in 1975 there was a long que outside the theatres to buy tickets. It ran for over 5 years house full. I have been licensing various rights of Sholay from 1995 till date and I’ll never forget what the film has given me” adds Jayantilal Gada, Chairman, Pen India Pvt. Ltd.

“I am very grateful to the unmatched creative and technical team that was involved in making the original film, which has given me the opportunity to be a part of making history again. This is the first time in the world a 38 year old film has been upgraded, converted into 3D and the sound remixed in Dolby Atmos. A special thanks to everyone that has made this possible. I am honoured to be a part of being able to give back what people regard as the one of the greatest films in history, now with the best that technology has to offer”, says Shaan Utamsingh, Producer G.P. Sippy’s partner in Sholay Media & Entertainment.

This conversion is made using Stereoscopic 3D. There are two ways of making 3D films, either shoot them in 3D with latest technology dedicated cameras for 3D shooting, which are available today; or else convert a film shot in 2D into 3D to have the three dimensional experience. 3D gives a more real, life-like experience of viewing the film. It creates an illusion where one feels like one is actually sitting on location experiencing a ‘live’ performance. So the viewers are more involved with the film viewing process. And with elements of the film coming out, 3D makes such film viewing a more engaging, interactive experience

Sharing about the major challenges, Ketan Mehta, MD, Maya Digital Studios highlights, “Conversion of a film like Sholay from 2D to 3D comes with a lot of challenges, both technical & creative. The difficult level is that one second of filmed footage is 24 frames, and the length of the film is 198 minutes. So essentially, the 2D to 3D conversion of Sholay meant conversion of 285120 frames, from 2D to 3D”

” We are honored to be associated with the film and are confident that SHOLAY in 3D will make us fall in love with the film all over again”, says Gaurav Verma, Director – India Theatrical Distribution, Studios, Disney UTV.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:06 pm 

It's appalling that the project did not get Director Ramesh Sippy's blessings.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:34 pm 

High Court rejects Ramesh Sippy's plea to stay Sholay's 3D release
4 December 2013

The Bombay High Court rejected Bollywood producer Ramesh Sippy's plea seeking a stay on the release of Sholay's 3D version made by his nephew Sasha over a copyright dispute.

In a notice of motion on his suit against Sasha and others, Sippy had recently filed an appeal before a division bench against the judgement of Justice Kathawala who had earlier rejected Sippy's petition on the same issue.

Upholding the single bench's judgement here today, a division bench of Justices S F Vajifdar and G S Patel refused to stay the production and release of the movie's 3D version.

Ramesh Sippy, who had directed the original movie 'Sholay', is in dispute with his nephew Sasha over the rights of the film which was released in 1975.

Sasha, who is the son of Ramesh Sippy's brother Vijay Sippy, had recently announced making a 3D version of the movie which is to be distributed by Jayantilal Gada.

Ramesh Sippy had moved the single bench against this, which rejected his plea in April.

However, Ramesh Sippy appealed against its order recently, which was upheld by a division bench today.

Lawyers of Sasha and other respondents argued Sippy had no rights over the movie and hence he could not oppose the production and release of Sholay's 3D version.

Sasha and other members of the Sippy family contended they were associated with Sholay Media and Entertainment Pvt Ltd formed in 2000.

They said Ramesh Sippy never made any copyright claims when their company had dealt with and commercially exploited Sholay's rights several times earlier.

They also questioned why he raised objections only in this case, arguing that all directors of the movie have either retired or died, while the rights of the movie were vested in Sippy Films Pvt Ltd.

Sasha and others contended that in the year 2000, Sholay Media and Entertainment Pvt Ltd came into being and rights of the movie were transferred to this company by Sippy Films Pvt Ltd through a gift deed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:30 am 

Let us hope it is the real 3D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:57 am 

Fighting legal battles, Sholay 3D releases
3 January 2014

The iconic film, starring Amitabh Bachchan, Dharmendra, Amjad Khan and other Bollywood greats, is an action adventure about two petty thieves hired by a police officer to exact revenge on a ruthless bandit.

Torturous legal action had threatened to overshadow the release, with the original Sholay's director, Ramesh Sippy, fighting with family members over who owned rights to the film.

Ramesh Sippy lodged court action against his nephew, producer Sascha Sippy, and other family members who run several companies that own the titles to Sholay as well as other Bollywood films. Those films include some made by Ramesh Sippy's father, G.P Sippy, who was also the producer for the original Sholay and who died in 2007.

Earlier this year, a Mumbai court denied Ramesh Sippy's request for a stay on the new Sholay's release until his rights to the film were restored. Sippy, who has had no involvement in restoring the film, lost an appeal against the court decision earlier this month.

The movie, which borrowed heavily from the Westerns of the time, proved so popular after its release in 1975 that it screened for five years at a landmark Mumbai theatre, the longest ever run in India at the time.

Producers Shaan Uttam Singh and Sascha Sippy said they wanted to restore the original film for new generations of movie watchers, while also giving it a 3D boost.

Singh said the technical process took three years to complete, and was estimated to have cost more than $3 million. "First we scanned and digitised the original negative and then it was restored," Singh told AFP. The background score was also modernised, while leaving the dialogue untouched. "We pepped up the music a bit to make it sound modern," said Sippy. "We first had to fill in the negative where there were holes, digitise the film, strip the sound, keep the dialogue, re-record all the sound and music and also convert the film into 3D," Sippy added.

Sholay opens across Indian and United Arab Emirates cinemas on Friday in 2D and 3D. The classic, which, like all Bollywood movies, includes a love story, will be released in other countries later this year.

Film critic and author Khalid Mohamed said the original movie was considered one of Bollywood's finest because of the performances of Amjad Khan, who died in 1992, and others under Ramesh Sippy's stellar direction.

Ranked the best Indian film of all time by the British Film Institute in 2002, Sholay was also given the unusual honour of being "maybe the burliest male love story ever made (in India)" by Time magazine in 2010. The popularity of Sholay also spawned remakes, spoofs and books, while lines from the movie continue to be used by Indian theatre-goers in everyday conversation.

Considered a pioneering Bollywood film at the time, the original Sholay was also the first in India to use a 70mm format which doubled its size on the big screen and was the first Hindi-language film to be recorded in stereophonic sound.

Sascha Sippy hinted at a sequel saying there was "an idea to reboot the entire franchise - with a prequel and sequel - but these have to be discussed."

Source: AFP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:06 pm 

Varun Dhawan on Sholay 3D:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:29 am 

On my way!
Really excited!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:41 pm 

Just watched it!
An excellent experience (I'd ever watched it earlier because I have the atrocious PEN DVD)
Restoration - wonderfully done. No blemishes, grains, speckles and other artifacts.

3D effects are not really great and not really required - only some scenes go will with it.

Sound in Dolby Atmos very violent with very prominent surround / circular effects

Flaws
Note : All the original soundtracks have been replaced with re-recorded ones. Therefore original compositions are gone. The video looks somewhat animated. Most 3D effects are animated (like : logs, wooden planks, 'Sholays', etc.

Overall its a wonderful experience. Must watch it with your family.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:01 pm 

Thanks for sharing. Was it RealD 3D?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:11 pm 

IMO, the 3D effects looked very real and great. What I meant by saying "not so great" was that it wasn't really required by the film but I enjoyed everything a lot and I will to watch it at least a 100000 times before I die :-P

The Dolby Atmos treatment was terrific but the only issue with the sound was that
the original compositions were completely replaced with re-recorded ones, which is not fair.

The 3D was very real, IMO. But my younger brother who watched it too found some effects
fake

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:17 pm 

Ragz wrote:
The Dolby Atmos treatment was terrific

Unfortunately there are no theaters with Dolby Atmos in the entire National Capital Region.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:27 am 

I was wondering if you used red/cyan glasses or was this done using the RealD 3D technology.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:29 am 

Muz wrote:
I was wondering if you used red/cyan glasses or was this done using the RealD 3D technology.

I don't think those glasses were red-cyan. My guess would be RealD 3D technology was used.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:18 am 

I think we must get a petition done in favor of having its 3D-DVD and Blu-Ray in the future.