It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:53 am 

Mohan Choti

Many of us are familiar with this name. IMDB lists his last film Do Fantoosh in 1994 (and another film or two released even later). Dead or Alive, not mentioned on the main page but is mentioned in Biography page.

I remember him from film Hum Panchhi Ek Daal Ke (1957), and Jagriti (1955)

Recall this name and wondering whatever happened ??
Well, he passed away in 1992.

Quote:
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0159269/bio ... _ov_bio_sm

Mohan Choti was born on January 1, 1935 in Jaipur, Rajasthan, India as Mohan Rakshakar. He is an actor and director, known for Anjan Hai Koyee (1969), Jaani Dost (1983) and Hunterwali 77 (1977).

Mohan Choti's produced film Hunterwali.
Went bankrupt after the movie's he produced flopped at the box office . Oweing money to creditors , he opened a small restaurant (Dabba) in Mumbai, India.

Passed away from jaundice and cirrhosis of the liver. Passed away in 1992.

He set up an electronic shop- Triotech Electronics, at Link Road, Oshiwara, Mumabi, Maharashtra.
Opened a restaurant " Kissa Roti Ka Dhaba Choti Ka".

Acted in numerous films from 1954 to 1992.Last was Do Fantoosh 1994 released after his death.

His character of Mohan Choti in Bluffmaster 1963 became quite popular and earned him fame.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:50 am 

Film journalist Shishir Krishna Sharma has been tabulating the lives of several forgotten film personalities for decades. He published a book named Beete Hue Din, which I am yet to read. The book is fairly inexpensive here in India; therefore, I intend to purchase a copy. He also blogs quite regularly. This is his blog: https://beetehuedin.blogspot.com/

One can find information on the whereabouts of almost every other personality on this website. Furthermore, he has a lot of invaluable information that ended up becoming fabricated by the Indian media. He clears the air regarding the so-called mysterious death of Nalini Jaywant. He debunks the claims of her dying under lonely circumstances. Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV-L40gsBso

She did become a recluse, but only in the sense that she ended her connections with the film industry. Her last rites have said by Shishirji to be performed by her close relatives.

He even laid out the truth about Kumkum's family, which was backed by information by the late danseuse Sitara Devi.

He is the only person to have ever documented the life of Sheela Dalaya, the forgotten Mughal-E-Azam actress. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlmwKdH ... shnaSharma
This is worth a watch.

He even has interviews with Bina Rai, Dulari, Ameeta, Anita Guha, Azra, Jawahar Kaul, etc.; people who ended public connections with the industry once the retired. Not a single other person has interviewed any of these people. Sometimes, it has taken Shishirji a lot of effort to arrange encounters with people, but he left not a single stone unturned.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:38 pm 

rana wrote:
Another One:

Dulari (real name Ambika Gautam) (18 April 1928 – 18 January 2013)

Haven't heard much lately. Was a common name in the 70s - 90s and also was in lead roles in her younger years.

Has been acting since (wikipedia lists 1943 Hamari Baat and IMDB lists 1924 Poona Raided) and last 2 films, listed in IMDB, are Yaar Meri Zindagi in 2008 and Ziddi in 1997. IMDB perhaps has 2 actresses profiles mixed ??
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0241291/?ref_=tt_cl_t13
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dulari_(actress)

I found an old radio interview of Dulari.
https://youtu.be/7FbLFIyJACQ

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:01 pm 

Another name I came across on youtube. S Balbir

I'm sure most of you have no clue who I'm talking about but most of us sure have heard his voice. He was a major singer from 1050 to 1970. May be not top but associated to top singers in many famous songs. In at least one song he was the main singer.

In 1970 he disappeared from film scene. Music director Omi (Sonik-Omi: Recall Sawan Bhadon song Lage Pachasi Jhatke) tells us what happened to him, in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78mml57XLVI

Tragic ending in 1970 (in family property fight).

-------------------------------------
Sonik Omi:

I'm sure many of us recall this music director pair.
(Dil Ne Phir Yaad Kiya, Saawan Bhadon, Mahua)

Sonik (died 1993):
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2263598/

Omi (going by the youtube above, about S Balbir, he is still active; film Biwi #2 in 2000):
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2298986/

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:30 am 

A few other murders in Bollywood include the murders of Priya Rajvansh, Urmila Bhatt and Sayeeda Khan; and a few other unsolved and mysterious deaths such as Sushant Singh Rajput, Jiah Khan, Parveen Babi, Sridevi and Divya Bharti.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:03 am 

I found this online on a negative role bearing actress of yore named Kuldip Kaur. She is perhaps best known for her appearance in the song "Gore Gore O Banke Chhore" from Samadhi with Nalini Jaywant. She was a beautiful woman with enviable facial features. She also appeared in Baiju Bawra, Anarkali, Naubahar and Baaz among many other movies.

Quote:
http://apnaorg.com/articles/aujla-26/

KULDIP KAUR: A SPOILED RICH PUNJABAN ACTRESS

Actress Kuldip Kaur’s life story cannot be separated from erstwhile united Punjab’s premier twin cities of Lahore and Amritsar. She was the daughter of a wealthy landlord family of Punjab and the daughter –in –law of the Emperor of the Sikh Empire Maharaja Ranjit Singh’s daredevil military commander General Sham Singh Attariwala’s grandson. Her in-law’s place of residence was in village Attari located on Amritsar district’s border with Lahore district just off the Grand Trunk Road and was eighteen miles away from both Amritsar and Lahore. The lady, Kuldip Kaur was a shy, simple and a beautiful Sikh young lady. With skin so fair and translucent that she had no competition among the elite class that she belonged to. Although her beauty had no comparison, still her mind was very much down to earth and traditional. But the affluent lifestyle of the elite in Punjab changed her life forever.

Her rich landlord husband Mohinder Singh Sidhu (also called Mohinder Singh Pompa) was a spoiled young man. He was fond of enjoying the good life offered by Punjab’s both premier cities of Lahore and Amritsar. He became a member of Amritsar Club Amritsar, Lumsden Club of Amritsar, Service Club of Amritsar as well as the Gymkhana Club of Lahore, Service Club of Lahore and the Golf Club of Lahore. He engaged in a lavish lifestyle, mostly having lunch and dinner in clubs of separate cities in a single day. He was fond of owning the latest models of European and American cars. Amongst the least expensive cars that he owned were; Renault, Baby Morris and Austin. While his favorites included the top models of Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and Studebaker. The car dealers of Lahore and Amritsar always spread a red carpet in his honor. He hardly spent a day without visiting either Lahore or Amritsar. He was a good friend of Maharaja Jagatjit Singh of Kapurthala and visited his French style palace as well as the magnificent Jagatjit Club several times during the winters. During the summers the Maharaja himself was often on a tour of France and other European countries and was seldom available in Kapurthala

Kuldip Kaur was born sometime between 1926 and 1928 and was brought up like a princess. Her spoiled Sardar husband always wanted his charming wife Kuldip Kaur to live and act like a modern lady of any metropolis of India. He wanted his wife to learn swimming and rub shoulders with the club going English elite based in Lahore and Amritsar. Once exposed to the club culture, Kuldip Kaur also started getting effected by its dark side. Since Lahore was a popular film city, Kuldip Kaur started dreaming about becoming a film actress. According to one story, Kuldip Kaur started admiring the professional qualities of actor Pran Nath, who was in acting profession in Lahore since 1940, when he successfully performed the role of a hero in Punjabi film “Yamla Jatt”. Pran loved the modern and permissive lifestyle of Lahore. By July and August of 1947, communal violence erupted into a full-fledged operation of ethnic cleansing primarily between the Muslims and the Sikhs and both Lahore and Amritsar were engulfed in the worst sectarian violence in recent history. Kuldip Kaur had no ill will against the Islam as a religion and several Muslims were her and her husband Mohinder Singh Pampa’s good friends. But things were getting out of control in Lahore and Amritsar. Both Pran and Kuldip Kaur were compelled by the quickly changing circumstances to leave Lahore in a jiffy, leaving virtually every belonging behind. Her own village being right on the border was also not peaceful either. So Kuldip Kaur decided to leave straight for Bombay. According to one story, in order to impress actor Pran, Kuldip Kaur decided to bring Pran’s stranded car from Lahore to Bombay. In a gesture of unprecedented daredevilry, she travelled from the safety of Bombay and Amritsar to Lahore and drove Pran’s car first to Amritsar and then she drove it all the way to Bombay, where she handed over the keys to a surprised but thankful Pran.

After leaving for Bombay, Kuldip Kaur’s contact with her parents and in-laws got diminished. On arrival in Bombay, Kuldip Kaur made up her mind to plunge headlong into the film industry. She was prepared to act in Hindi/Urdu as well as Punjabi films. The experts of film industry were of the opinion that her large piercing eyes, robust build and her flat chin made her an ideal choice for the role of a vamp. The first ranking heroines of the time included Durga Khote, Naseem Bano, Madhubala, Nargis, Suraiya and Nutan. Other heroines included Binarai, Shyama, Nimmi, Nirupa Roy, Meena Shori, Nigar Sultana, Veena and Kamini Kaushal. There was a real shortage of ladies willing to perform the role of vamps. One of Kuldip Kaur’s first films was a Punjabi blockbuster “Chaman” (1948). Within the same year Kuldip Kaur acted in two Hindi/Urdu films Ziddi and Grahsthi. All her 1948 films did well at the box office. After that she never looked back and went from strength to strength. At one stage Kuldip Kaur was so busy in her film roles that for a long duration she did not have time to visit Punjab

In 1949, Kuldip Kaur worked in at least two films “Ek Thi Ladki” and “Kaneez”. “Ek Thi Ladki” was a blockbuster. Music Director Vinod composed some great tunes for this movie. “Kaneez”, featuring the music of Ghulam Haider did not do too well. In 1950, Kuldip Kaur acted in two great musical Hindi movies “Samadhi” and “Adhi Raat” and did two Punjabi movies “Madari” and “Chhai”. 1951 was a great year for Kuldip Kaur, she played the roles of vamps in six movies “Stage”, “Rajput”, “Nai Zindagi”, “Ek Nazar”, “Afsana” and “Mukhra”. Her role in film “Afsana”, which featured a brilliant actor Ashoke Kumar was critically appreciated. 1952 was another great year for Kuldip Kaur. She worked in four movies “Shisham”, “Nau Bahar”, “Baiju Bawra” and “Anjaam”. Again her role was highly praised in film “Baiju Bawra”. In 1953 again Kuldip Kaur had four films “Mashooka”, “Baaz”, “Anarkali” and “Aabshar”. Out of these “Anarkali” was a super hit and her role stole the limelight. 1954 was another great year for Kuldip Kaur. She was featured in three movies “Lal Pari”, “Gul Bahar” and “Daak Babu”. 1955 was one of the busiest professional years for Kuldip Kaur. She played the bad girl’s role in “Teer Andaz”, “Miss Coca Cola”, “Mast Qalandar” and “Jashan”. 1956 was sort of a lean year for Kuldip Kaur, she worked in two films, but none was released. Two of Kuldip Kaur starrer movies, spilled over from 1956, were released in 1957. These were “Sheroo” and “Ek Saal”. In 1958 Kuldip Kaur had her roles in two films “Sahara” and “Panchayat”. In 1959, Kudip Kaur had her roles in three more films “Pyaar Ka Rishta”, “Mohar” and “Jagir”. Out of these, one film “Mohar” was a great musical, its music composed by Madan Mohan was simply outstanding. When she had fewer Hindi films in hand, she worked in Punjabi films. 1960 started as a reasonably good year for Kuldip Kaur. She had already completed a Hindi film “Maa Baap” and a Punjabi film “Yamla Jatt” and more pictures were on the way.

But during this very year, her life was cut short when she got some thorns in her feet and legs and she pulled those out by herself. True to her character of a daredevil woman, she took her injuries lightly and did not seek medical advice immediately. Her sores became not only septic, but she got Tetanus too, which is incurable. Kuldip Kaur died in 1960. She led a fast paced life and her end came as abruptly too. Her husband, who even in separation loved her immensely was left a heart broken man. A few years later one day, while blessing a newly married couple, he told them to live together until death and not abandon each other while living. This message reflected his extreme pain at the desertion by his beloved wife. I thought it will be appropriate to record, at least a partial history of Kuldip Kaur. Her fascinating life story has several lessons for the present readers and the unborn posterity.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:44 pm 

Sunder:

Famous name comedian/ character actor (perhaps hero in some Punjabi films - Bhangra):

March 14, 1908 - March 5 1992.
(Died 9 days short of reaching age 84).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunder_(actor)

(IMDB does not have date of death)
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0839129/bio ... _ov_bio_sm

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:01 am 

Another famous name/ names:

Rajkumar Kohli (Born Sept 14, 1930) & his wife Nishi (Parents of Armaan Kohli)

Rajkumar Kohli, producer of many superhit films, last produced film Jaani Dushman-Ek Anokhi Kahani in 2002 (Remake of his own superhit 1979 film Jaani Dushman). He is 80 yrs old now & perhaps still active with his son Armaan Kohli who is active in Bollywood/ TV shows.

Nishi:
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0632638/bio ... _ov_bio_sm
Mother of actor Arman Kohli.
Wife of Rajkumar Kohli.
Acted in many Black N White Punjabi Films.
Played secondary roles in 50's and 60s. (Was heroine in many many films too; Recall superhit musical LUTERA)
Acted in many films of Dara Singh.

Saw one internet page on Nishi dated 2018. Looks like both Rajkumar Kohli & Nishi are around.
https://nettv4u.com/celebrity/hindi/mov ... ishi-kohli

--------------------------------
IMDB listing is incorrect that links similar name Rajkumar Santoshi as Nishi's spouse.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:20 pm 

Nishi has acted in a great number of 'A' and 'B' films as well. Parakh, Main Nashe Men Hoon, Phagun, Insaan Jaag Utha, et al. These films saw her share screen space with a lot of celebrated actors of yesteryear. Parakh's Bansi Kyon Gaye is one of my favourites, and it features her as a Mela performer. In the same vein as the situation of Reshmi Salwar Ka from Naya Daur.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:33 am 

Another name popped up, watching an old film Gemini's Grahsthi. C H Atma.

A very famous name in the old days, lots of top songs, hero in 2 films.
He was the first singer from India to tour and sing outside India in Nairobi, East Africa in 1957

He died in 1975 but sure all know the song Saajan Aan Milo (Original non filmi version). And many other songs.

Somehow, IMDB has only a few films/ songs in his profile. Wikipedia has much more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._H._Atma

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:51 am 

Anoter big name from yester years, not forgotten, but missed mention in our "The Departed' thread:

Jayshree Gadkar

Heroine in many films (mostly religious films) and major roles in many main stream films.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1024354/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

She passed away in Aug 2008.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:43 pm 

I have seldom seen Jayshree outside of movies in which she plays either mythological characters or traditional Indian women. Every picture that I have seen of her shows her dressed in sarees (sometimes 9 yard sarees), with her hair adorned with a garland, and wearing a nosering.

I can also think of Kumud Chhugani, another forgotten name; whom I have barely seen with a hairdo besides a bouffant.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:15 pm 

T P Jain

Another forgotten actor, I noticed recently in the movie Saajan Bina Sihagan. Not a big name but remember seeing him in lots of movies 1970s to 1990s. Not in big roles, but noticeable characters (mostly negative perhaps). (Blackmailer in Saajan Bina Suhagan).

Did not find much info on the web (Full Name, DOB, etc). IMDB lists his first film in 1974 Parinay (Sanjeev Kumar's Mausam in 1975), and last film in 1996 Aurat Aurat Aur Aurat.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1149279/?ref_=rvi_nm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:30 am 

Ashish Kumar
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1339294/?ref_=tt_cl_t_2

Another actor, almost forgotten. He acted in religious films mainly, but also in some main stream films like Biwi Aur Makaan (Biswajeet, Kalpana), Phool Bane Angaarey, Bahu Beti (Ashok Kumar, Mala Sinha).

His biggest hit, a surprise Blockbuster and perhas an 'All Time Blockbuster', he acted in a lead role, was Jai Santoshi Maa.

He was married to Bela Bose. Bela Bose's biography indicates that Ashish Kumar was a big star in Bangla films (but, only 2-3 Bangla films are shown in his IMDB profile) before he entered Hindi films.
Quote:
A quote from Bela Bose:
I was a fan of Ashish Kumar, a famous actor of Bangla films. When my friends in school would ask me about my boyfriend, I would cheekily show them Ashish Kumar's picture. I just couldn't believe my eyes when one fine day I met Ashish Kumar at Mala Sinha's house. When I married the very same Ashish Kumar in 1967, I had about forty films on the floor. Somehow I managed to finish all the films and then parted ways from the industry to immerse myself in my domestic life.

Ashish Kumar died in 2013 (Ashish died of an illness on November 23, 2013, while he and his wife were visiting their daughter and her family in Goa).

------------------------------------------------
This brings another Inq: Hopefully, Bela Bose is alive & well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:40 pm 

rana wrote:
IMDB listings rarely has his name and the character he played, connected. e.g Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam - which caracter did he play ??

He played the character of Supavitra - the man who Jaba (Waheeda's character) was supposed to marry, as arranged by her father.

This is Jawahar Kaul with Waheeda Rahman in the movie.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next