It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:58 am 

Hey guys, i have some questions about dvds in india i hope someone can answer on this forum since i am thinking about buying a bunch when i go there next month

- im going to india next month, and heard that bollywood dvds are alot cheaper in india than there are in the united states. Is this true?

- also i was wondering if dvds from india work on regular dvd players in the United States? - would i be able to watch these dvds on a sony television that is NTSC

-do official bollywood (not pirated) dvds from india have english subtitles on them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:51 am 

yes they are cheap i think shemaroo dvds are between 5-7 dollars canadian there, and you can use the indian dvds from there down here just check the back cover if your not sure ( it should say ntsc/ all/ 0 region) it depends on the dvd if it has english subs or not they usually have different indian subs, and you have to make sure that the dvd is original, they are very smart there they can change the copy infront of our eyes, and to be safe if you have a dvd player check if they are defective or not

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:24 am 

Hi. I am from India. Yes Indian dvds do work anywhere in world because 99% of them are region free and have english subtitles atleast. Price Range for 95% DVD movies is from Rs 199 to 499 Max. Only exceptions : SRK inner and outer world 599 and the maimum price ever for any indian dvd has been that of Main Hoon Na @ Rs 999.

Buy only from authorised retail outlets(mostly inside malls).

manufacturers to avoid at any cost: Eagle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:29 am 

sweet 119 to 499 rupees is $4.48 to $11.23 - omg im going to buy so many dvds when i go thanks guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:51 am 

Im confused about PAL and NTSC- i know that india is a country that uses PAL on their television sets -
does that mean that the region free dvds are PAL over there?
If the dvds are ntsc- region free than can PAL televsions play the ntsc region free dvds ?
(i know that my NTSC television cannot play a PAL dvd - even if it is region free- i was wondering if the opposite is different- PAL televisions being able to play NTSC dvds)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:49 pm 

I wud appreciate ur detailed questions.... just cause I find them exciting to reply :D

Anyway, let me tel u in India here, I have a Pal TV, the manual says being capable of showing NTSC signals. So may b thats the reason I think I am able to smoothly play all my Indian/hollywood DVDs both RCE as well as region free all of which are in NTSC format.

I think very few pal format DVDs are available here that too only from low profile local manufacturers. So most are NTSC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:30 pm 

Most DVDs released in India are 'ALL' region, NTSC therefore there should be no issues in them playing on NTSC televisions. By the way just to clarify, there is a difference between NTSC playback on PAL and true NTSC playback. IN the case of the former there is a quality loss when NTSC is played back on PAL televisions that have this feature, which is generally the mid to low priced televisions. Almost all mid to high priced televisions sold in India (actually Asia) are Multi System and are capable of playing back NTSC, actually all TV systems, in their native form.