It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:37 pm 

Sanjay wrote:
Anurag, you may rest assured that the BD contains the same original Dolby Stereo audio track that the pirated DVD did. Yes, the Male chorus audio is encoded in the left channel and the Female chorus is in right channel in the 'Mehndi Lagake Rakhna' song. Although, personally I don't understand the logic of why it is encoded that way considering that the sounds should move to where ever the characters move and not be stationary as it is in this very ordinary sound mix. For such a prestigious release 'Yash Raj' should have gone back to the original losslesss audio stems and remixed the whole soundtrack and then re-encoded it to DTS-HD MA 5.1 I suppose it will come a few years later so that Yash Raj can milk us again for this title.

Thanks Sanjay. That was quite satisfying.

As for your understanding of the logic, I guess the only possible explanation is that this was the first dolby film from yashrajfilms. Before this all their films were Mono sound and all films after this were 5.1 tracks. being one of the first dolby track films of India, this also was a kind of learning stage for YRF to learn how proper and true stereo sound should be used on an Indian film and hence the experimental channel separations.

There are a couple of places of good stereo usage like just before "Ho Gaya Hai Tujhko to Pyar Song", Simran Goes to the right out of the frame and realises she forgot to give her address to Raj and call 'Arre Raj' from out of the frame. This is exactly from right channel only. Later when Kuljeet Introduces Raj to Simran's Mom, one of his friends calls him from out of frame on the Left. This call "Oye Kuljeete" is again only from Left channel. YRF did some experiments only on audio of Songs to be different in the attempt of making it better than audio CD.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:16 pm 

I stand corrected on the DDLJ audio topic. Listening again, I'd now agree with Sanjay - it seems that YRF used the original audio stems to create new 5.1 mixes for the songs only. The reason I had assumed they must have used the CD audio was that I thought surely if they were working with the originals stems, they would have just remixed the entire soundtrack rather than just the songs. Silly me for thinking YRF could be bothered doing all that work.

There are a couple of differences between the BD's songs and the versions on the previous DVD releases though. At the end of 'Mere Khwabon Mein', there is no audio of the rain on the BD and at the start of 'Zara Sa Jhoom Loon Main', the flute/tin whistle has been deleted from the mix on the BD.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:31 pm 

Stephen wrote:
I stand corrected on the DDLJ audio topic. Listening again, I'd now agree with Sanjay - it seems that YRF used the original audio stems to create new 5.1 mixes for the songs only. The reason I had assumed they must have used the CD audio was that I thought surely if they were working with the originals stems, they would have just remixed the entire soundtrack rather than just the songs. Silly me for thinking YRF could be bothered doing all that work.

There are a couple of differences between the BD's songs and the versions on the previous DVD releases though. At the end of 'Mere Khwabon Mein', there is no audio of the rain on the BD and at the start of 'Zara Sa Jhoom Loon Main', the flute/tin whistle has been deleted from the mix on the BD.

Having listened to the BD again and more carefully, it sounds to me like Yash Raj has used the original Dolby Stereo (matrixed surround 4 channel mix) track and simply re-encoded it to DTS & DD 5.1 and I really don't think 'Yash Raj' has bothered to remix the entire soundtrack from the original stems. I base my opinion primarily on the fact, that the channel seperation and sound fidelity of a discreet DTS/DD 5.1 track is just not there and the BD audio never rises even to the levels of a good matrixed analog four channel track, let alone a fully fully discreet 5.1 digital channel track. Having said that, I realize this would contradict your observations of differences between the BD audio and the previous DVD releases, for which I have no explanation. Thus, I suppose the mystery continues. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:43 pm 

I have tried all the 'Yash Raj' titles and atleast SEVEN of them have given me freezing problems on my 'Oppo BDP-83'. The problem is kinda strange, sometimes the discs will freeze at the same point and sometimes they won't. Also strangely enough, they generally don't freeze when simply watching the movie normally, it is when you skip chapters, that the discs will freeze and mostly at the same points but not always.

The SEVEN titles with freezing problems:
1. Bachna Ae Haseeno
2. Dhoom 2
3. Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge
4. Kabhi Kabhie (watched the entire film)
5. New York
6. Silsila
7. Veer Zaara

UPDATE: With the new official firmware 'BDP-83-48-1224' from Oppo, the freezing problem seems to have been resolved.

Last edited by Sanjay on Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:55 pm 

silsila is extremely poor.. its probably better watching a dvd!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:27 pm 

My ratings for the 'Yash Raj' BDs:

1. Bachna Ae Haseeno
(Video 3.5 / Audio 4.25 / Overall 3.75)

2. Chak De! India
(Video 2.75 / Audio 3.25 / Overall 3.0)

3. Dhoom 2
(Video 3.25 / Audio 3.75 / Overall 3.5)

4. Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge
(Video 3.5 / Audio 3.25 / Overall 3.5)

5. Fanaa (watched the entire film) There are no watermark logos anywhere on the BD :)
(Video 3.75 / Audio 4.0 / Overall 4.0) (A lot of tweaking was required to get a good picture)

6. Kabhi Kabhie (watched the entire film)
(Video 4.0 / Audio 3.25 / Overall 4.0) (A Very credible job, specially considering the age of the film)

7. New York
(Video 3.75 / Audio 3.75 / Overall 3.75)

8. Silsila
(Video 1.75 / Audio 2.0 / Overall 1.75) (No amount of tweaking can save this abomination)

9. Veer Zaara
(Video 2.0 / Audio 4.0 / Overall 2.25) (No amount of tweaking can save this disaster)

Equipment used for testing:
Projector: Panasonic PT-AE2000U
Screen: Da-Lite 4:3 120" 'Model B' - White Matte
Viewing Distance: 11' 6"
A/V Receiver: Denon AVR5800
Speakers: 5.1
Front/Main: Paradigm Reference 100 v2
Center: Paradigm Reference Studio CC v2
Rear: Tannoy - Mercury M5
Subwoofer: Paradigm Reference Servo 15
BD Player:
Oppo BDP-83 (Hardware modified for Region Free with latest firmware)

I will post my opinions, of these and other 'Yash Raj' BDs, in more detail later. I hope this suffices for the time being.

PS: For some strange reason, the Lossless 'DTS-HD MA' tracks on the 'Yash Raj' BDs sound suspiciously identical to the 'Dolby Digital' tracks. :?

Last edited by Sanjay on Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:00 am 

Sanjay wrote:
My ratings for the 'Yash Raj' BDs:
5. Fanaa (watched the entire film) There are no watermark logos anywhere on the BD :)
(Video 3.75 / Audio 4.0 / Overall 4.0) (A lot of tweaking was required to get a good picture)
7. New York
(Video 3.75 / Audio 3.75 / Overall 3.75)
9. Veer Zaara
(Video 2.0 / Audio 4.0 / Overall 2.25) (No amount of tweaking can save this disaster)

Fanaa can not be saved, not Veer Zaara. Fanaa has incorrectable black crush with shadow detail gone. Veer Zara before interval has black point too high. That can be fixed although some highlight detail may be lost for good. Fanaa is the worse case of the two. New York has no such issues and that alone should give it a higher score than screwed up Fanaa.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:00 am 

Watched "Dhoom 2". Seems to come from DI after all. It's too clean and some shots are too sharp to not come from DI. The grading is strange. Many shots have the Fanaa look with crushed blacks, too much contrast and oversaturated colors. But the rest does not. Overall it's pretty good but uneven.
The supplements are not done properly with missing subtitles and no stopping when a selected supplement ends. It just goes on till the end, Songs have some seconds of the Yash Raj logo.
And the opening Yash Raj logo for all their BDs is embarrassing as it's artifact ridden upsampled standard definition although some of the films themselves have the HD version. How difficult can it be to harvest this HD version for the BD menus?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:49 pm 

Saw this on the YRF website and it made me chuckle:
Select User / Forum Reviews:

My name is Martin Dwyer from the USA, and I am a Bollywood fan. I have purchased Yash Raj's latest Blu rays, and I have been reading people's posts on the Bluray.com Forums.

First off, the quality is outstanding!! I have a full-array LED tv and I do not have any of the issues that the other people have. I've also been looking at their posts, and allot of those people with problems do not have their tv's calibrated correctly. Not calibrating would cause some quality issues, but if these people would research and learn about the equipment they had, they would see the Veer Zaara Blu ray properly. Also in my opinion, the people on the forum talk about a "milky sheen" to the first half of the film. Well, if you pay attention to the film, Veer is telling his story to the lawyer and it is seen as he remembers it. The second half is then from the present time on.

Anyway, I'd thought I'd drop a line to you and how I really enjoy the quality of the disc. It is great!!! I am really looking forward to what Yash Raj releases in 2010, for I am hoping for Jhoom Barabar Jhoom and Aaja Nachle in the future.

Going by New York BD's quality, we are sure that all Yash Raj Films BD's will be of the
highest quality.
I'd say New York BD is beyond all the other Indian releases thus far... by a mile.
New York BD quality is 100% better than any of the new Indian BD releases.
I definitely would say it's up to the standards... good standards. Way to go YRF!
This Yash Raj BD seems to be leagues better than the absolutely abysmal BDs released
by others.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:02 pm 

Quote:
Also in my opinion, the people on the forum talk about a "milky sheen" to the first half of the film. Well, if you pay attention to the film, Veer is telling his story to the lawyer and it is seen as he remembers it. The second half is then from the present time on.

:lol: :rofl:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:37 pm 

Quote:
My name is Martin Dwyer from the USA, and I am a Bollywood fan. I have purchased Yash Raj's latest Blu rays, and I have been reading people's posts on the Bluray.com Forums.

First off, the quality is outstanding!! I have a full-array LED tv and I do not have any of the issues that the other people have. I've also been looking at their posts, and allot of those people with problems do not have their tv's calibrated correctly. Not calibrating would cause some quality issues, but if these people would research and learn about the equipment they had, they would see the Veer Zaara Blu ray properly. Also in my opinion, the people on the forum talk about a "milky sheen" to the first half of the film. Well, if you pay attention to the film, Veer is telling his story to the lawyer and it is seen as he remembers it. The second half is then from the present time on.

Anyway, I'd thought I'd drop a line to you and how I really enjoy the quality of the disc. It is great!!! I am really looking forward to what Yash Raj releases in 2010, for I am hoping for Jhoom Barabar Jhoom and Aaja Nachle in the future.

Going by New York BD's quality, we are sure that all Yash Raj Films BD's will be of the
highest quality.
I'd say New York BD is beyond all the other Indian releases thus far... by a mile.
New York BD quality is 100% better than any of the new Indian BD releases.
I definitely would say it's up to the standards... good standards. Way to go YRF!
This Yash Raj BD seems to be leagues better than the absolutely abysmal BDs released
by others.

this sounds so fake...a bad PR attempt at self promotion.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:23 am 

My ratings for the 'Yash Raj' BDs. (In order of preference):

1. Kabhi Kabhie (Video 4.0 / Audio 3.75 / Overall 4.0)
(A very credible job. This is, my overall number one selection due to the age of the film and yes this is inspite of the slight 'reddish tint' and 'black crush' at times)

2. Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi (Video 4.25 / Audio 3.5 /Overall 4.0)
(This has the best video)

3. Fanaa (Video 3.5 / Audio 4.0 / Overall 3.75)
There are no watermark logos anywhere on the BD. Earns brownie points in my book. :)
(A lot of tweaking was required to get a good picture)

4. New York (Video 3.75 / Audio 3.75 / Overall 3.75)
(Picture quality leaves a lot to be desired, specially considering it is a brand new film)
(Did not watch the entire film)

5. Bachna Ae Haseeno (Video 3.5 / Audio 4.25 / Overall 3.75)
(This has the best audio)

6. Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge (Video 3.5 / Audio 3.0 / Overall 3.25)
(I actually preferred the DD 2.0 sound quality over the DD 5.1 & DTS tracks)

7. Dostana (Video 3.50 / Audio 3.75 / Overall 3.5)
(Picture quality is quite dissapointing, specially considering it is a relatively new film)

8. Dhoom 2 (Video 3.25 / Audio 3.75 / Overall 3.5)
(Sound & Picture both very dissapointing, specially considering the type and age of film)

9. Chak De! India (Video 2.75 / Audio 3.25 / Overall 3.0)
(Picture & Sound both very dissapointing, specially considering the age of film)

10. Veer Zaara (Video 1.75 / Audio 4.0/ Overall 2.0)
(No amount of tweaking can save this disaster) Sorry! but jumping through hoops, just to get a half decent picture, does not a good BD make. This is a defective BD and should be recalled, just as would have been the case if this were a Hollywood studio release.)

11. Silsila (Video 1.50/ Audio 1.5 / Overall 1.5)
(No amount of tweaking can save this abomination) Sorry! but jumping through hoops, just to get a half decent picture, does not a good BD make. This is a defective BD and should be recalled, just as would have been the case if this were a Hollywood studio release.)

Equipment used for testing:
Projector: Panasonic PT-AE2000U
Screen: Da-Lite 4:3 120" 'Model B' - White Matte
Viewing Distance: 11' 6"
A/V Receiver: Denon AVR5800
Speakers: 5.1
Front/Main: Paradigm Reference 100 v2
Center: Paradigm Reference Studio CC v2
Rear: Tannoy - Mercury M5
Subwoofer: Paradigm Reference Servo 15
BD Player:
Oppo BDP-83 (Hardware modified for Region Free & with 'BDP-83-48-1224' firmware)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:46 am 

Sanjay wrote:
I have tried all the 'Yash Raj' titles and atleast SEVEN of them have given me freezing problems on my 'Oppo BDP-83'. The problem is kinda strange, sometimes the discs will freeze at the same point and sometimes they won't. Also strangely enough, they generally don't freeze when simply watching the movie normally, it is when you skip chapters, that the discs will freeze and mostly at the same points but not always.

The SEVEN titles with freezing problems:
1. Bachna Ae Haseeno
2. Dhoom 2
3. Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge
4. Kabhi Kabhie (watched the entire film)
5. New York
6. Silsila
7. Veer Zaara

UPDATE: With the new official firmware 'BDP-83-48-1224' from Oppo, the freezing problem seems to have been resolved.

I was just checking out the Rocket Singh Bluray, and this problem also occured in one of the chapters while I skipped through the entire film.
This is my second hindi bluray(1st being Ghajani), so I don't know how YRF has packed their other blurays, especially their supplements? Rocket Singh's supplements are provided on a separate DVD disc as opposed to on a separate bluray disc. Is this normal with other Yashraj bluray titles or is this another example of poor taste on YRF side? Also, both the feature film Bluray disc & the supplement DVD disc are hanging on to "one same" clip inside the bluray cover box, when it is capable of only holding one disc, while the other is loose.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:50 am 

DVD Collector wrote:
I was just checking out the Rocket Singh Bluray, and this problem also occured in one of the chapters while I skipped through the entire film.
This is my second hindi bluray(1st being Ghajani), so I don't know how YRF has packed their other blurays, especially their supplements? Rocket Singh's supplements are provided on a separate DVD disc as opposed to on a separate bluray disc. Is this normal with other Yashraj bluray titles or is this another example of poor taste on YRF side? Also, both the feature film Bluray disc & the supplement DVD disc are hanging on to "one same" clip inside the bluray cover box, when it is capable of only holding one disc, while the other is loose.

How's the quality of the Rocket Singh BD?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:00 am 

DVD Collector wrote:

This is the first BD release by 'Yash Raj' that has the 'extras' on a seperate disc and is actually a good thing, since this leaves more space on the BD for the main feature. As for the extras being on a DVD, there is no advantage of putting the extras on a BD unless the content is in HD. With the extras being SD, putting them on a BD would simply be a waste and of no advantage to either Yash Raj or the consumer. Considering that, Yash Raj used the ugly & fat cases for their first eleven BD releases, it is shocking to hear that the two discs are not on either sides of the case. Not only does Yash Raj need to fix this issue ASAP, but they also need to get rid of the hideous and space consuming fat cases they used for their initial BD releases.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next