It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 12:39 am 

i was just wondering if the iruvar (tamil) dvd has released yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:43 pm 

I know for a fact that Pyramid has a version of IRUVAR out. However, I doubt that the quality is any good. Sunny can you give more info about this. Maybe Ayngaran will release a better version in the future (hopefully) !!

Raj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:27 pm 

The DVD of Iruvar by Pyramid is on better then any EROS old titles and it best avioded. Rights for this film will run out mid 03 and Ayngaran who have picked up the rights, will be releasing the DVD sometime later in the new year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:41 pm 

Shahran Sunny Audit wrote:
The DVD of Iruvar by Pyramid is on better then any EROS old titles and it best avioded. Rights for this film will run out mid 03 and Ayngaran who have picked up the rights, will be releasing the DVD sometime later in the new year.

Are there subtitles on this DVD and are those any good.....knowing the quality of subtitles AYANGARAN have put out in the past, i dont mind at least watching this movie on a Pyramid DVD if they are any better...i have already seen the movie in theatre long ago without subtitles and was sufficiently impressed then to want to follow it again on a DVD with GOOD subtitles....I would appreciate anybody's thoughts on this.....

Edited By Aarkayne on 1045587149

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:33 pm 

Anybody know what is the Aspect Ratio of 'Iruvar'?. I have weird feeling its 1.85 movie, with a documentry type look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:45 pm 

I received the 'Iruvar' DVD by Pyramid yesterday. I paid $19.95 for it from http://www.shrimatis.com. I was very surprised as the quality is MUCH better than any of their releases till date. In fact, the quality is very much like an Ayngaran release, except that the picture is full frame (which worked well in this case).

Subtitles are AMAZING. Very much in tune with whats actually being said, and actually very poetically translated. Considering that Ayngaran screws up on subs, THIS is the version of the DVD to get. The DVD also has 5.1 surround sound, and its NOT pseudo. I personally feel that there is no need to buy the Ayngaran version when such an excellent version already exists. The picture is crisp and clear, the menu designs are very beautiful, and the sound on the songs and feature is excellent. All in all, a definite purchase.

I bought this DVD blindly as no one had seen it so far plus the Pyramid association was keeping people away from it. There are no special features, but the quality of film and the impeccable transfer all deserve the highest praise. However, its available from very few retailers, such as Shrimatis and themahal. There were 2 versions of this DVD, one a few years ago, and one in 2002. The first one was from a VHS tape (or so it looked), but the second one is certainly the better version. Excellent A R Rahman music as well.

Edited By Kabir on 1045601263

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:44 pm 

A decent Pyramid DVD? Hmm... could you post some screenshots?

I did think their Navarathiri DVD was okay quality. I couldn't turn the subtitles on for some reason. But I rented Moondram Pirai this weekend and it was VHS quality.

Edited By DragunR2 on 1045604951

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:24 pm 

Kabir wrote:
Subtitles are AMAZING. Very much in tune with whats actually being said, and actually very poetically translated. Considering that Ayngaran screws up on subs, THIS is the version of the DVD to get.

Thanks much Kabir...by far the best news I have heard in a long time....if only people could pay attention to subtitles, I do really believe there's a huge audience there waiting to enjoy cinema of all kinds..provided there's a way to comprehend the goings on.......

Per me some of the movies that set the bar for fabulous subtitling are the following :

LAGAAN (simply awesome, eg. from a poor memory 'Poorva' most appropriately translated as 'the balmy easterly'....and several such).
MISSION KASHMIR - the DHUAN DHUAN song has been fantastically done
UTSAB - very very nice and appropriate...I suspect Rituparno Ghosh had a huge hand.

In fact in all the above 3 cases the director would have been necessarily involved for they were serious in getting their product to an international audience. Think about all those people of Indian origin who want to enjoy a desi flick but cannot because they do not understand the langauge. Personally speaking the subtitling is all important for me since even my eight year old can then follow desi movies (which she loves since the same is genetically inherited).

I had expected DIL CHAHTA HAI to be of a similar nature, alas it wasn't in the same league.

More power to all those who care to bring their cinema to as many people as possible. That is I believe a responsible and sensitive attitude towards their audience.

I am going to check this version out for sure.....

Edited By Aarkayne on 1045614776

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:12 am 

Kabir, what is the aspect ratio?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:22 am 

The DVD is full frame. It says 5.1 Surround on the cover, and it is indeed that. Sound is certainly comparable to the best of Ayngaran, the sound on the songs are incredible. I know that some people have a problem with full-screen DVDs, but the way this film has been shot, at times with a hand-held camera, and the very old-cinema look it has, it really helps that its full frame. Mind you, I too am very critical of Pyramid's releases, their version of 'Roja' is laughable to say the least, but on 'Iruvar' they have really done a commendable job. Its a pity that this DVD has been out for a while yet none of us have gotten it. Now that I've taken the first step, I hope others will take my word for it and just blindly buy it, no questions asked.

If theres a flaw, I would say that there are problems with darkness and light in certain scenes, but this could well be the mistake with the master print. On songs, such as Aishwary Rai II's debut number 'Hello' the picture quality is so startling, its like the best of DEI. However, the songs have NO subs, so if this is a problem for you, then don't get it. However, all of the very complicated Bharatiyar Tamil poetry have been translated in loving detail. In contrast, Ayngaran's Kandukondain Kandukondain's subs look like a twisted joke.

By the way, Aishwarya Rai plays two roles in this film as its set in two different eras. There are FOUR heroines - Aishwarya, Tabu, Gouthami, and Revathi. They all do a splendid job. Cinematography should be seen to be believed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:27 am 

Heres a good write up on Iruvar - some shots I had not seen before -

http://www.geocities.com/maniratnamonline/iruvar.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:05 am 

Is it a pan and scan transfer or open matte?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:13 am 

I'll be picking this up on my next trip to Toronto.

-Bh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:27 pm 

Kabir wrote:
However, the songs have NO subs

Aw dang....that's another problem I have with AYANGARAN titles....they seemed to have subs initially for songs as well and inexplicably they disappeared subsequently....however there's still plenty of carrot to acquire this one (or at least test it out)....

thanks again Kabir on the low down on this DVD....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:48 pm 

Aarkayne wrote:
Kabir wrote:
However, the songs have NO subs

Aw dang....that's another problem I have with AYANGARAN titles....they seemed to have subs initially for songs as well and inexplicably they disappeared subsequently....however there's still plenty of carrot to acquire this one (or at least test it out)....

thanks again Kabir on the low down on this DVD....

Most of the recent Ayngaran titles I've seen have subtitles on the songs, except for Kannathil Muthamittal.