It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

As it’s often requested how to get and post screen shots here’s a mini guide – using PowerDVD 4 (most of this applies to other software DVD players too).

Cut down it’s a three step process – (1) get the screens shots, (2) upload them to the web and (3) link images to posts.

1 – Getting the screen shots

First check the correct settings are set in PowerDVD. When you capture screen shots they should be in their correct aspect ratio and original colour profile. To check go to into PowerDVD4 Configuration (right click main window and select Configuration).

From the Configuration box you see six tabs – select General and click the Advance button.

Another box pops up with Advance Options with more tabs to choose from. Select the Capture tab. Under ‘Captured Aspect Ratio’ – make sure ‘Current video window size’ is selected and not ‘Original video source size’. Under the same tab select ‘Capture to File’ and set the folder where you want the images to be saved.

NOTE on framing of screen shots;

When the screens are captured either they are framed at 4:3 for non-anamorphic transfers or 16:9 for anamorphic transfers – there is no in-between.

When that’s done – play DVD and capture away :ghostface:

Only other thing that needs doing is to convert the screen shots from BMP (windows bitmap format, PowerDVD default) to JPEG (a lossy compression format which reduces image size, for web usage). To convert from BMP to JPEG use a paint editing package like Paint Shop Pro (http://www.jasc.com) – Paint Shop Pro is particularly good in this regard as it has the ability to batch convert BMP to JPEG.

2 – Uploading them on the web;

...you need to get a FTP client in order to upload screen shots to a web server. They are hundreds of ftp clients out there – do a search on http://www.tucows.com and take your pick – all do the same job. Personally I’ve always either used CuteFTP or FlashFXP.

Once you upload the screen shots (in jpeg format) – they will appear on the web - example;

Code:
http://www.zulm.net/images/k3g.jpg

3 – Posting and linking in the forums;

...this is easy, all you need to do is use IMG tags; Say for examples you have uploaded screenshot1.jpg - it will appear @

Code:
http://www.zulm.net/screenshot1.jpg

..to make this image appear in the forum;

Code:
[img] http://www.zulm.net/asif/screenshot1.jpg [/img]

That’s it! excuze the spelling mistakes :p

Ali :baaa:

Edited By ali on 1039684563

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

Forgot to mention - if anyone requires web space for screen shots then email me and I'll setup an account on zulm servers for you. But please, these accounts are only to be used for relevant screen shots from DVDs for this site only.

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:52 pm 

wow, fabulous, ali, i think 2 points more, on viseo..disable hardware acceleration!!

in general under screen control, keep the orig aspect ratio!!
color control..orig!

and finally..in video advanced..capture in auto mode, unless, a reason to use forceweave???

What do u think, is there any thing that is not necessary here! excuse me if i repeated any thing mentioned before!! but it is extremely helpful..the way u aggressed it..thnx again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

I think I've covered most of things you mention apart from the Force weave issue - I would always capture them at Auto (configuration->video tab). Most of the time you can tell if the DVD is progressive or not, without unnecessary ‘combing’ screen shots.

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:43 am 

I noticed I could'nt get screenshots while playing DVDs on PowerDVD because the Camera Icon does not function.
Pressing C on the keyboard wont work either! I also tried playing VOB files (ripped from a DVD and saved to HD) but no screenshots! I then tried playing MPEG files and the Camera Icon did become active and was able to take screens. Apparently, this is the first time its happened to me.
Anybody know what's happening here??? Any solutions??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 9:14 am 
Site Admin

Forgot to include this image yesterday - with more spelling mistakes :oo:

If hardware acceleration is enabled then the camera icon does not appear on the main panel.

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 9:59 am 

kaindiazINC. wrote:
I noticed I could'nt get screenshots while playing DVDs on PowerDVD because the Camera Icon does not function.
Pressing C on the keyboard wont work either! I also tried playing VOB files (ripped from a DVD and saved to HD) but no screenshots! I then tried playing MPEG files and the Camera Icon did become active and was able to take screens. Apparently, this is the first time its happened to me.
Anybody know what's happening here??? Any solutions??

maybe try disabling your hardware acceleration mode...usually works for me :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 2:55 pm 

arsh wrote:
and finally..in video advanced..capture in auto mode, unless, a reason to use forceweave???

Auto select is the right indicator of PQ.

For Prog DVDs, the screen caps are automaically Force Weaved and for DVDs with no flags, automatically Force Bobbed.

One can get a bit more info, if 6 (13 in some cases)cosequetive screen caps from a fast action are posted. It tells quality of Encoding and process. It will also indicate if DVD has 2:3 pull down.

Rana

P.S.
1) Thanks Ali for the tutorial.
2) Should we reintroduce the Foul Language related thread as "sticky" again??

Edited By rana on 1053023853

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:54 pm 

congress wrote:
maybe try disabling your hardware acceleration mode...usually works for me

Did it and it worked!! Thanks for your help guys! :thumbs:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:12 am 

What exactly does auto-select do when capturing on both prog and interlaced DVDs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

DragunR2 wrote:
What exactly does auto-select do when capturing on both prog and interlaced DVDs?

All it does it selects automatically one of the two deinterlacing modes; either bob or weave. From PowerDVD docs;

For the Video Mode section, the default and recommended setting is Auto-select. "Video content" (e.g. 30 fps/NTSC or 25 fps/PAL) encoded from an interlaced signal would use the Bob mode. The Weave mode is preferred for "movie content" (e.g. 24 fps) encoded from the original film. The Auto-select mode will optimize the video quality by selecting a deinterlacing mode (either Bob or Weave) automatically according to the video source.

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:55 pm 

http://terms.inmatrix.com/

Quote:
Interlacing:
Your T.V. screen does not work like a Computer Monitor. A computer monitor display is a square, it has fixed points at exactly the same distance from eachother both vertically and horizontally. However, your T.V. screen is interlaced, if you look closely at your T.V. screen, you will see that it is in fact a lot of small vertical Red, Green and Blue lines placed closely next to eachother. Not only that, these lines are slightly offset to eachother on each screen row. A T.V. also updates the image differently compared to a Computer Monitor. The final result is, when trying to play a T.V. image on a Computer Monitor, you will get visible horizontal streaking when the camera pans. To deal with this, DVD software decoders have come up with some DeInterlacing code (see below).

DeInterlacing - Weave:
Weave is the default mode that should be used when viewing progressive DVD data (Movies for example). Using this mode you will see horizontal streaking for non-movie data (NTSC/PAL content such as movie trailers). If you plan on viewing DVD movies, you must set your decoding software to weave mode. Weave is the default DeInterlacing mode all decoding software use for Movie playback (unless set to some sort of detection mode).

DeInterlacing - BOB:
T.V. playback works a bit differently compared to a computer monitor. It has two fields, each playing in an interlaced form at either 30 or 25fps (NTSC/PAL). When NTSC/PAL content is played on a computer monitor using the standard Weave DeInterlacing mode, you get a lot of horizontal streaking when the camera pans or objects move quickly within a scene. To combat this, you can use the BOB DeInterlacing mode. What BOB does is play the content at twice it's frame rate and each frame is displayed in only one of the fields. This makes the image appear to BOB up and down a bit, especially when text is displayed, but doing so eliminates the streaking. Using the BOB mode is only useful for NTSC/PAL content such as Movie Trailers. On Progressively encoded Movie content BOB will cause the image to look slightly blurred.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:13 am 

How to compress the BMP files (grabbed from Powerdvd) to JPEG files...

Download the software Paintshop Prop (PSP)
http://www.jasc.com

(You can download the trial version and do the rest.. etc. etc. )

Once you have installed it... go to your PowerDVd folder..
By default the images the located in
C:\Program Files\Powerdvd\Images

Open PSP and then follow the procedure...

FILE-->Batch Conversion-->Select the files..(by going to the aforementioned directory)->BMP to Jpeg conversion (this one should come up in the popup)

Also select a directory where you would like to compressed files to be placed.

Once that is selected, you can start the conversion.. You will get a progress bar, indicating what files are being compressed.

Of course there are other ways of doing this... but this is the one method that is used by Zulmis here....

****WARNING**** do not do anything else with PSP.... (of cos its a powerful tool and you can do many things with it...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:38 am 

Does this work for WinDVD as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:08 pm 

DragunR2 wrote:
Does this work for WinDVD as well?

Nevermind. I asked because the computers in the arts lab in my university have DVD-ROM drives, but they have only WinDVD software. There's no way to capture from this software AFAIK.