It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:20 am 

Asli-Naqli [1962 - Released by Shemaroo]
Directed by: Hrishikesh Mukherjee

common story, but beautifully presented, awesome video and audio to the best of my knowledge.
Here are the DVD shots...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:00 am 
Site Admin

Asli-Naqli DVD by Baba Digital Media - doesn't seem much different to the Shemaroo DVD;

Ali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:52 am 

I had picked up this Shemaroo DVD some 2-3 Yrs back but never watched it so far. Today while curious about the song "Tera Mera Pyar Amar, Phir Kyun Mujhko Lagta Hai Dar' figured out that it's from this film and hence am watching this film DVD.

I'm pleasantly surprised that it's direct Film to NTSC (Pseudo-Progressive), that not too many B/W Bollywood DVDs are. As you know, most (98%)are PAL to NTSC converted Field Averaged.

Moreover, although it's well known, Shemaroo DVDs are rarely full length, but this DVD is full length, 1982 film CC. 1982 CC shows film length as 4382 meters or 160 min. And so is the DVD.

Also, although most B/W Hindi DVDs are SL, this one if DL (6.5 GB)

:D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:46 am 

That's excellent news! Hopefully the "vintage classics" label too is pseudo progressive rather than field averaged.

I'll be picking it up for my favorite songs, namely "Ek Buth.." "Terea Mera Pyar Amar" & "Tujhe Jeevan Ki Dor Se"

Would be flabbergasted if it turns out to be Pseudo Progressive.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:25 pm 

rana wrote:
Also, although most B/W Hindi DVDs are SL, this one if DL (6.5 GB)

Not quite. It's not true that most B/W Bollywood movies are on Single Layered Discs? All Moserbaer, Shemaroo and Eros B/W release I have come across are on Double Layered Discs.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 1:05 pm 

There are two versions of this film on YouTube, both by Shemaroo.

1st one is an old upload: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7_CwTV ... arooMovies
2nd one is a 'restored' version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeHtNqX ... oVintageHD

Both versions have different length, it is because of PAL speedup. The first version is 159 minutes, and the second one is 152 minutes.
However, the pitch is 4% higher on both uploads, even on the one that runs at film speed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:39 pm 

Ragz wrote:
There are two versions of this film on YouTube, both by Shemaroo.

1st one is an old upload: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7_CwTV ... arooMovies
2nd one is a 'restored' version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeHtNqX ... oVintageHD

Both versions have different length, it is because of PAL speedup. The first version is 159 minutes, and the second one is 152 minutes.
However, the pitch is 4% higher on both uploads, even on the one that runs at film speed.

I don't know, how you check audio/ pitch speed-up but video in the 2nd transfer is definitely 4% speed up and the first one has no speed up in video.

Ist video: There are 24 individual frames and 6 repeat frames - implying Film (24 fps) to NTSC 60 fields or 30 frames per second and no field averaging.

IInd video: There are 25 frames per second, no frame repeat - implying Film (24 fps) to PAL 50 fields or 25 frames per second transfer.

(Youtube conversion of both is to 25 fps)
-------------------------------------------------
Dot (.) advances forward one frame or field depending on coding.
Coma (,) one frame or field backwards.

---------------------------------------------------------

Watch Asli Naqli song in color:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw76ORCEq4E

This website/ youtube-channel 'Color The Classic' seems to have done fantastic job coloring many Black&White songs. And they are in 4K. Much better job than coloring old films a few years back.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:04 pm 

I am sorry that I didn’t specify. Both the videos do have different frame-rates and speeds, and I did realize that. I still wonder what is the reason that the pitch is the same on both these uploads ?? I can’t be sure which is the correct pitch, but it is a fact that they’re identical. I don’t know how to count frame rate as precisely, but I thought of running the videos side by side. The 25fps version runs much faster, as one would expect.

The extra frames that get recorded in these encodings consumes more bit rate. Right or wrong ?? Perhaps it is for this reason that progressively encoded DEi DVDs, which have optimum bit rates looks good when upscale to HD. All of the bits are used effectively to support better compression. Whereas, large fractions of Shemaroo’s bits are wasted on those erroneously encoded frames. All of Shemaroo’s DVDs look blocky on quality screens.