It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:46 am 

Heard a new verse in the song "Jaane Kahan Gaye Woh Din", that I don't remember having seen even in my 228 min VHS. My friend agreed with me on this.

It was on TV from a Nitin Mukesh performance on stage. Will post the lyrics of that verse as well as will check again if this verse is in my VHS. Tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:59 am 

Starting from end of any dialogues, where music for the song starts to end of 'Jaane Kahan Gaye Woh Din' song it's 3 min 55 sec on my VHS. Even in this long version, the following verse that Nitin Mukesh sang in concert and is not in my VHS or in Shemaroo DVD, is:

Bismillh Ke Aashian Mein Ab
Unke Khyaal Reh Gaye
Bismillh Ke Aashian Mein Ab (repeated)
Unke Khyaal Reh Gaye (repeated)
Tode Ke Dil Woh Chal Diye
Hum Phir Akele Reh Gaye
Jaane Kahan Gaye Woh Din----

--------------------------

Seems logical that if RK is telling his story in verses that what happened to what they said, Nazron Ko Bichhayengay, Tum Ko Na Bhool Payengay, --- etc etc, then he must also tell what's the conclusion to his story. And that is
"Tode Ke Dil Woh Chal Diye
Hum Phir Akele Reh Gaye".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:08 pm 

Unke Khyaal Reh Gaye
Hum Phir Akele Reh Gaye

so that part was in the original release of the film?

surely isn't in any dvd... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:55 pm 

Chirpy_Sabz wrote:
Unke Khyaal Reh Gaye
Hum Phir Akele Reh Gaye

so that part was in the original release of the film?

surely isn't in any dvd... :cry:

Revisiting this thread as saw corelation bet film length and run time from bbfc site (90 ft per min).

1)
I don't remember what was in the orig release, but do remember "Jaane Kahan Gaye Wo Din----", with excellent music, seemed like never ending song.

On the other hand, Nitin Mukesh (some stage show) sung verse (from lyrics notebook) had some verses missing, that ARE in the film.

2)
Could not read film length from my 225 min VHS censor certificate. Could read date as Sept 18, 1970 and # of reels as 25.
Shemaroo DVD's cc was dated Nov 1980 and this too had 25 reels. Film length was either 6989.5m (255 min) or 6089.5m (222 min). From the screen, it looked more like 6989.5m. Moreover, 6089.5m doesn't seem right as it's 3 min shorter than my VHS.

Can any one with a large screen TV and Shemaroo MNJ confirm whether the cc shows the length as 6089.5m or 6989.5m??

Can any one with YRF's MNJ check, if they can read film length and cens. cert. date??

CONFIRMED: CC # 95190 dated Oct 29, 1980 as seen in Shemaroo DVD and in YRF DVD clearly shows, without a doubt, Film Length to be 6989.5 meters (4 Hrs 15 min @ 90 ft pet min)

Last edited by rana on Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:54 pm 

the censor certificate is never a guarantee of the length of the film -- especially on dvd.

certs are issued when movies are just released... and dvd authors tend to keep them as is even though they have access to shortened editions...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:53 pm 

NewDeep wrote:
the censor certificate is never a guarantee of the length of the film -- especially on dvd.

That's right.
But, I was just trying to find any indication to the original run time of Mera Naam Joker. As far as I recall from 1970-71, MNJ was aprox four and a half hours long, with 3 shows daily instead of 4 shows daily.

BTW, in the mean while, I saw clips from some Nitin Mukesh stage show DVD that has the full 'O Mere Sanam' from Sangam. Perhaps it also has other lost verses from MNJ & Sangam etc as well. I don't recall the exact name of the DVD but it's something like 'A Tribute To Mukesh' or '-- To Raj Kapoor' ??
Does anyone know the exact ID of this DVD ?? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:08 pm 

Found another Mera Naam Joker song (audio only) that's much longer than on any VHS or DVD.

It's the title song, Kehta Hai Joker Sara Zamaana. It's aprox 3 min on DVDs/ VHSs. But, when the film released in 1971, I remember this song being a never ending one, when I saw this film. Just when you thought that the song ended, it will resume again.
The audio that I have is 5 min 50 sec starting from the fast music followed by "Joker Joker ---- Ha Ha Ha Ha" till the end of the song.

Here are the lyrics on present versions and the missing lyrics that are not in the DVDs/ VHSs and are in Bold letters here:
Quote:
Kehta hai joker saara zamaana
Aadhi haqikat aadha fasana

Chashma utaaro phir dekho yaaro
duniya nahi hai chehra purana

kehta hai joke...

( Apne pe hans kar jag ko hansaya
Ban ke tamasha mele main aaya ) -2
mele main aaya

(hindu na mulsim, poorab na pashchim) -2
Mazhub hai apna, hansna hansaana

kehta hai joker ...

(Kal Tha Jahan Par, Ab Na Wahaan Hoon
Aayua Kahan Se, Pahoonchaa Kahan Hoon) - 2
Pahoonchaa Kahan Hoon

(Lamba Safar Hai, Chhakraa Sawaari) - 2
Manzil Pe Baaboo, Phir Bhi Hai Jaana

Chashma utaaro, phir dekho yaaro
duniya nahi hai, chehra purana

kehta hai joke... (75 sec)

(Dhakke pe dhakka, rele pe rela
Hai bheed itni, par dil akela ) -2
par dil akela

(gam jab sataye, seeti bazana ) -2
par maskhare se dil mat lagana

kehta hai joker ...
chasma utaro ...
kehta hai joker ...

If I remember correctly, in the orig 1971 theatrical release there definitely was this verse, kind of implying mystery/ wondering where had he been and where he started etc.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:38 pm 

rana wrote:
...As far as I recall from 1970-71, MNJ was aprox four and a half hours long, with 3 shows daily instead of 4 shows daily...

how old are you now? 100? :D
so the longest version available today is YRFs DVD?

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:11 am 

brownboy05 wrote:
rana wrote:
...As far as I recall from 1970-71,

how old are you now? 100? :D

I wish. If I was hundred, I'll be richer by half a M--. :lol:
Anyway, quick math/ logic makes me at least 35 Yrs (Dec 1971 - Sept 2007). :P

Why I post about these lost segments in M N J (and Sangam) is because I wish, someday, these films are restored to orig length. Many Hollywood films have been restored. I wish films like M N J, Sangam etc too are restored. Most likely, lost film footage is lost for ever but, as done in case of many films restorstions, a series of still pictures can be inserted where audio is avail.
I can see the logic of trimming a film for theatrical release but for home viewing, feature length is no problem. e. g. over 50 hrs of Ramayan, Mahabharat etc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:56 pm 

(Mera Naam Joker Censor Cert posted 4 posts down)
CONFIRMED: CC # 95190 dated Oct 29, 1980 as seen in Shemaroo DVD and in YRF DVD clearly shows, without a doubt, Film Length to be 6989.5 meters (4 Hrs 15 min @ 90 ft pet min)

There was some doubt in YRF SS wheter it's 6089.5 or 6989.5 but a few screen shots in Shemaroo DVD clearly show it to be 6989.5 meters (255 min) although Shemaroo version is just 3 hrs (182 min equaling 185 min film time) and YRF version is 224 min equaling 233 min film time.
--------------------

I'm working on Sec By Sec differences in the 3 versions, Shemaroo DVD (182 - 185 min), YRF DVD (224 - 233 min) and Esquire VHS (228 - 228 min). I'll also add audio segments time, segments that are not in any of the video versions, to maximize film time that I've figured out so far.

Last edited by rana on Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:56 pm 

rana wrote:
I'm working on Sec By Sec differences in the 3 versions, Shemaroo DVD (182 - 185 min), YRF DVD (224 - 233 min) and Esquire VHS (228 - 228 min). I'll also add audio segments time, segments that are not in any of the video versions, to maximize film time that I've figured out so far.

Looking forwards to the comparison - I wish I had access to my VHS version also - but alas not for a while! Thanks for doing this!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:35 pm 

Well, I hope ali bhaii, did get that SS :?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:32 am 

Mera Naam Joker will be shown on Zee Cinema at 8.30 P.M. India Time Sunday 7-Oct. Sometimes TV screenings can spring a surprise or two in terms of footage ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

The screen shot from Arsh bhai;

Ali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

NewDeep wrote:
Mera Naam Joker will be shown on Zee Cinema at 8.30 P.M. India Time Sunday 7-Oct. Sometimes TV screenings can spring a surprise or two in terms of footage ;-)

I wish same could be same for the Zee TV channel here in the UK - I'm always surprised (more like shocked) at how much of the film they chop off!

Ali

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next