It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:54 am 

You da man, Rana!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:03 am 

This was an excellent read - and also great source material for reference! I will be keeping a printout of this with my MNJ DVD for future reference if the movie is released again.

I did not know about the promotion documentary ... that was totally new info to me!

I am sure that my Dad has recorded the Simi documentary on RK. I will ask my nephew in the UK to look through my Dad's video collection - if he has it I can ask him to copy it to DVD and send it to me. It will take some time as my Dad had some 400 video cassettes ... !

Thanks for taking the time and effort for doing this Rana! It's very much appreciated!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:35 pm 

Muz & Newdeep, I did edit my previous post on p4 and added more comments after your posts here. So, pl check.
I also used that post to compose a Summary, which I'm posting it here now. I'm double minded, whether to leave that Summary here and delete from p4. This way there is no duplication. If I leave it on p4, the post gets excessively long, but the benefit is that all relevant material is on one page only.
What's your opinion ??

BTW, previously I did a "second by second" run time comparison of two versions of Sholay (DEI-EROS DVD and EROS Director's cut DVD) and believe me, that was a child's play in comparison to M N J differences. :)
Quote:
SUMMARY:
As I mentioned earlier in this post, I've opted to delete the summary here and leave it on p 4.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4457&start=45
SEE p 4 of this thread.

Last edited by rana on Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:55 pm 

I can imagine! This is unbelievably involved mission, that you have accomplished solo 8) I hope it will benefit all MNJ fans! today and to come for ever! :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:00 am 

Zoran009 wrote:
I can imagine! This is unbelievably involved mission, that you have accomplished solo 8) I hope it will benefit all MNJ fans! today and to come for ever! :D

i also commend the efforts. But which version or format would Rana watch now?, or would he have the patience to even watch MNJ again after this detailed comparison?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:30 am 

Kudos for all the hard work, Rana 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:09 am 

rana wrote:
I also used that post to compose a Summary, which I'm posting it here now. I'm double minded, whether to leave that Summary here and delete from p4. This way there is no duplication. If I leave it on p4, the post gets excessively long, but the benefit is that all relevant material is on one page only.
Rana brother, for such a long movie and such an honest dedicated analysis as yours, a long post is more than welcome :-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:48 am 

The long post is fine by me also! The post should reflect the hard work that you have put in to composing this thread. Thanks a million yaar!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:06 pm 

brownboy05 wrote:
But which version or format would Rana watch now?, or would he have the patience to even watch MNJ again after this detailed comparison?

Good that you asked me. This is what I missed and should have included in my conclusions.

I sure will watch M N J again.
For the sake of watching as complete as possible a version of M N J, and keep it simple, I'll watch my VHS until Phooka Pehelwaan episode ends and then start from 118:27 time counter in YRF DVD. This way you miss about 20 sec , of what's avail by combining both sources.

A better option, but requires a little more switching, is to watch Part 1 on YRF, then switch to Esq VHS starting from about 1 min before the end of Part 1, untill the Phooka Pehelwaan episode ends and then back to YRF at 118:27 time counter. This way you loose about one min in minor scene transitions in part 1 but you get the advantage of skipping poor VHS quality for all but 50 min. And you get the Russian parade as well.

For better PQ option, can watch all of it on Shemaroo DVD but it's about 50 min shorter than YRF version, including some important scenes( like Teetar song half cut, abrupt scene ends and starts, many episodes, etc).
------------------
I sure have been rewarded with your appreciation and Muz promising me a copy of Simi's documentary on Raj Kapoor,

I hope that one day someone may dig up that "Naval Star Show - Joker Sings" and include in a DVD as extras or release a DVD of its own. I hope this footage is not lost for ever.

Muz wrote:
I do know that the Esquire release on VHS was shorter than another version that my Dad had on VHS (when you get to part three I think that this will start showing big time then). I do remember that he edited together his previous version and the Esquire version to try to get a complete movie.
Muz, If you can find or come across this VHS, could you pl send me a copy or check it out yourself if it has any more material that's not in YRF DVD and Esq VHS combined ??

Last edited by rana on Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:49 pm 

NewDeep wrote:
rana wrote:
Rana brother, for such a long movie and such an honest dedicated analysis as yours, a long post is more than welcome :-)

Thanks for the advise. Dedication has nothing to do with Reader's interest. Mera Naam Joker proves it. :(
Anyway, for the time being I'll keep Summary at both places and eventually, I'll delete it from this page so that all relevant info stays on one zulm.net page.

--------------------------

BTW, I did edit/ add a bit more on p4. The following:

1) YRF DVD cover states "Original Theatrical Trailer Included. It is not. I'm interested in seeing this trailer, at least for Ameen Sayani's publicity style.

2) YRF DVD has an extra 14 sec scene of Russian Parade (in the beginning) that's not in VHS. It does not make any difference to the total run time as I counted times starting from YRF DVD.

3) YRF DVD has, in EXTRAS, a 26 min interview of Manoj Kumar by Dharmesh Darshan.

----------------------------
I hope it doesn't start as SHOLAY discussion, but imdb lists Mera Naam Joker original AR as 1.44:1 and I have also seen 1.44:1 mentioned for Sholay. Was 1.44:1 the standard AR, in those times, for non widescreen films?? Or, was it 1.33:1 ??

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:48 pm 

I did a Google search today for "Mera Naam Joker Run Time" just out of curosity if zulm.net figured in the results. They sure did, just # 5 or 6 in the list. No surprise here.
But, was really surprised, and actually it backs up my findings, to see that a 4 hr and 15 min time for CC film length of 6989.5 m has been mentioned. Not only 255 min but even claims of over 5 hour M N J run time mentioned. 255 min corresponds to 6989.5 m film length cleared cleared by Indian Censors. There may be additional footage not submitted to Censors or there may be extra footage for the Russian release.

Further details and links coming up.

Last edited by rana on Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:45 am 

rana wrote:
I did a Google search today for "Mera Naam Joker Run Time" just out of curosity if zulm.net figured in the results. They sure did, just # 5 or 6 in the list. No surprise here.
But, was really surprised, and actually it backs up my findings, to see that a 4 hr and 15 min time for CC film length of 69 -- .5 m (shall fill in later) has been mentioned. Not only 255 min but even claims of over 5 hour M N J run time mentioned. 255 min corresponds to 69--.5 m film length cleared cleared by Indian Censors. There may be additional footage not submitted to Censors or there may be extra footage for the Russian release.

Was not there a 5 hr asoka?

Wait Jodha ka Akbar will surpass it!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:24 pm 

rana wrote:
I did a Google search today for "Mera Naam Joker Run Time"
But, was really surprised, and actually it backs up my findings, to see that a 4 hr and 15 min time for CC film length of 6989.5 m has been mentioned. Not only 255 min but even claims of over 5 hour M N J run time mentioned.

Here They Are:

Quote:
Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mera_Naam_Joker
Running times

Many different cuts of the film are known to exist. Both the IMDb and the movie's censor certificate list the film's length as being 6989.50 metres (255 minutes). According to the Chicago Reader, the original running time was 5 hours , however this is likely an exaggeration. The international DVD release from Yash Raj Films Home Entertainment runs for 233 minutes (224 with the disc's PAL speed-up), while the Indian DVD by Shemaroo Entertainment is heavily cut at 184 minutes.

Quote:
http://onfilm.chicagoreader.com/movies/ ... JOKER.html
My Name Is Joker
Capsule by Ted Shen
From the Chicago Reader

Each woman is awarded a "chapter"--long enough to be a feature in the original five-hour version-
Quote:
http://www.chakpak.com/movie/mera-naam-joker/538
Plot
The life and loves of a clown told in three chapters beginning with his infatuation with a school teacher. The story moves on to his life in the circus and love for a Russian trapeze artist and is followed by a chance meeting with a girl disguised as a boy. Together, they begin a career as itinerant ...
Read the full story
Movie Details
Language: Hindi
Running Time : 4 hrs. 4 mins.
Release Status and date: Released in 1970

Even though a 4hr 15 min run time had been mentioned, I still take solace in having identified a 4 Hr 9 Min content, of which I have identified a 4 Hr 5 MIn 22 Sec of existing Video in YRF DVD & Esq VHS and another 2 Min 30 sec audio only segments. I've also identified other two minor scenes that I remember from the 70s screening.

---------------------------
It's also interesting to see what Shemaroo and YRF cover say about M N J synopsis:

Quote:
YRF:
It is on his journey to becoming the most loved clown in the world of circus, that Rajoo falls in love with a number of beautiful ladies ---- .

Quote:
Shemaroo:
on his journey to becoming the most loved clown in the world of circus, that Rajoo falls in love with three beautiful women ----

Shemaroo and YRF synopsis differences do reflect, to some extent, the content presented.

---------------------------

Ali/ Urbanlegend/ DVDcollector:
May be we should change the thread title by adding "Orig Run Time 255 min, Mix & Match to make up 248-250 min version"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:37 pm 

Off the topic a bit, but not totally.

In Bollywood Boulevard TV program this Sunday, they had a quiz:

Quote:
With a run time of 224 minutes, it's the only Hindi film to have two intervals.

I didn't watch the answer (after commercial breaks) but obviously they are referring to Mere Naam Joker that has 224 min as run time printed on YRF DVD cover.

I wonder how can I inform them of reality.

Firstly, 224 YRF DVD run time is equivalent to 234 min of Film Time.

Secondly, It's a general knowledge now that orig theatrical run time of Mera Naam Joker was 255 min that corresponds to 6989.5 meters as printed on censor cert. Of this 255 min, I have positively identified a 249 min content.

Thirdly, Mera Naam Joker is not the only Hindi film to have two intervals. I know at least another Hindi film that Had two intervals, prior to Mera Naam Joker. SANGAM (1964, 238 min orig theatrical release)

------------------------------------
I tried to find any contact info for Bollywood Boulevard but came out empty. Does any one have their contact info. That program will be repeated again on Friday (Nov 9, 2007) at 9 AM I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:50 pm 

Could have also been Sangam as this had two intervals! So I guess they are not that up to date with their facts!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next