It is currently Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:19 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2001 3:16 am
Posts: 4259
Rana, please check if your Esquire VHS is PAL to NTSC. That will have a factor in running time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 7:27 pm
Posts: 6098
DragunR2 wrote:
Rana, please check if your Esquire VHS is PAL to NTSC. That will have a factor in running time.

Well that is a good mystery. I tried but haven't succeeded yet. But will find out. As you know, Esq VHS were in LP speed. My VHS player doesn't have noise free Freeze frame in LP speed and hence I couldn't check the field repeat sequence. I wanted to check this for the same reason that you asked for.

Anyway I have a way out. I will copy video in SP speed and then I can check the repeat frame sequence. Will take me a while though to move and set up the second VCR.

Another way is to compare the run time bet point to point video run.

Still I don't think if we can find out if Shemaroo is PAL to NTSC and if so, if Film to PAL was 4% speed shifted or compensated. The fields are averaged and does have "made up" 30 individual frames per sec.

Rana

P.S.
All this is equally applicable to Mera Naam Joker as well. But, for Sangam, I think we should continue that discussion in Sangam thread.
http://www.zulm.net/cgi-bin....;t=2942




Edited By rana on 1042666277


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2001 3:16 am
Posts: 4259
What about comparing the songs from the audio CD if you have it to the songs on the VHS and DVD?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 7:27 pm
Posts: 6098
Sorry, erroneous post. deleted text.

Rana




Edited By rana on 1042685451


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2001 11:01 pm
Posts: 2070
Location: Toronto, Canada
While on the whole issue of YRF classics V/S SHEMAROO classics. Is Shemaroo's DVD of Awaraa superior to YRF DVD of Awaraa?

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 7:27 pm
Posts: 6098
DVD Collector wrote:
While on the whole issue of YRF classics V/S SHEMAROO classics. Is Shemaroo's DVD of Awaraa superior to YRF DVD of Awaraa?


Obviously it's lot better. Check this link:
http://www.zulm.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.c ... f=1;t=1672

Zulm review states YRF Awara to be 168 min. I don't know how long is the Shemaroo version or which of the two or both are complete. I can check Semaroo Awara run time when I get home.

Rana




Edited By rana on 1042729261


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 7:27 pm
Posts: 6098
Acquired Shemaroo Mera Naam Joker last week.

RUN TIME:
It is 182 min long. Part 1 is 61 min, Part 2 is 71 min and part 3 is 51 min long. Out of 51 min of of part 3, 10 min is end sequence (Jaane Kahan Gaye Woh Din and Kal Khel Mein Hum Hon Na Hon---). This leaves Raj Kapoor-Padmini portion of the film to be only 41 min long. Heer song in part 3 is totally missing.

ENCODING:
Encoding and PQ is at par with other Shemaroo Subhas Ghai DVDs, BUT ONLY FOR PART 1 AND PART 2 of Mera Naam Joker. Part 1 & 2 are Film to NTSC transfers (Pseudo-prog) and Part 3 seems to be PAL to NTSC Field Averaged.

Rana




Edited By rana on 1066237233


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:45 pm
Posts: 1074
Location: London UK
MERA NAAM JOKER came on Channel 4 (UK television) as part of the Bollywood season. The print was excellent, but I only saw the first of three chapters. I find that the most interesting - childhood infatuation of Rishi Kapoor for his school teacher, Simi Gerewal. The second part is boring unless you are into circus, and the third part with Padmini is just typical bollywood stuff...

According to the author of Raj Kapoor's biography, two separate movies should have been released - one constituting of the first chapter and the other of the third chapter. And the second chapter should have been scrapped altogether... But that would contravene the central theme of the JOKER in the circus?




Edited By armaan on 1066308907


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 7:27 pm
Posts: 6098
rana wrote:
Acquired Shemaroo Mera Naam Joker last week.

RUN TIME:
It is 182 min long. Part 1 is 61 min, Part 2 is 71 min and part 3 is 51 min long. Out of 51 min of of part 3, 10 min is end sequence (Jaane Kahan Gaye Woh Din and Kal Khel Mein Hum Hon Na Hon---). This leaves Raj Kapoor-Padmini portion of the film to be only 41 min long. Heer song in part 3 is totally missing.
(CC dated 1980)

Rana

TRIVIA:

For fun, make a guess on the original run time of each of the three Mera Naam Joker parts. Shemaroo version run time for the three parts is given in the quote and I checked actual run time on my VHS from a version with CC dated Sept 18, 1970.
I was really surprised to discover which of the 3 parts was trimmed the most and by how long, by Raj Kapoor.

Make guesses, and I will post the run time on my VHS (BTW, VHS is Film to NTSC telecine; every fifth field is repeated field as it should be for 'Film to NTSC') in a few days.

Rana




Edited By rana on 1066762141


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 7:27 pm
Posts: 6098
armaan wrote:
According to the author of Raj Kapoor's biography, two separate movies should have been released - one constituting of the first chapter and the other of the third chapter. And the second chapter should have been scrapped altogether... But that would contravene the central theme of the JOKER in the circus?

Looks like, no one is interested in guessing, MNJ run time.

Anyway, here is what I have on my VHS and what has been reported to be YRF and Shemaroo run times:

YRF total run time = 224 min (Film Time = 233 min as DVD is 4% speed shifted due to PAL telecine; confirmed by playing same segment on this DVD and on Film to NTSC VHS)
Shemaroo total run time = 183 min
VHS (Esquire), CC dated 1970. 228 min (Film time also = 228 min as no speed shift) (counting adverts, blanks etc out)
(VHS is Film to NTSC telecine, so no speed shift.)

Part 1
Shemaroo = 61 min,
VHS = 73 min 00 Sec. (start sequence and CC = 15 min; leaving Rishi-Simmi part = 58 min)

Part 2
Shemaroo = 71 min,
VHS = 90 min 20 Sec.
(Raj Kapoor and Russian part = 90 min 20 Sec.)

Part 3
Shemaroo = 51 min,
VHS = 64 min 45 Sec.

So, part 2 is most cut; by 19 min 20 Sec, in Shemaroo.

Agrees with what Raj Kapoor said, part 2 should be totally cut but it removes the subject of the film. Obviously, RK trimmed MNJ (in the mid 70s) according to his preference.


Rana




Edited By rana on 1067023930


Last edited by rana on Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2002 9:22 pm
Posts: 111
The yashraj Version of MERA NAAM JOKER suppose to be uncut . i read some where before yashraj release of M N J . it said MERA NAAM JOKER will be uncut version,
I have SANGAM dvd Yashraj version . on the back of the cover it say 213 min. running time


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 7:27 pm
Posts: 6098
Hardev wrote:
The yashraj Version of MERA NAAM JOKER suppose to be uncut . i read some where before yashraj release of M N J . it said MERA NAAM JOKER will be uncut version,
I have SANGAM dvd Yashraj version . on the back of the cover it say 213 min. running time



IGNORE THIS POST AS SANGAM AND MNJ NAMES AND RUN TIMES ARE MIXED UP.

If 213 min is complete, then what do you say about 228 min of film on Esquire VHS that is in my possesion??

228 min run time is after counting any adverts or blanks in the tape out. 228 min is the actual film time on my VHS. No repeats.

Rana


Last edited by rana on Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2001 4:11 pm
Posts: 577
rana wrote:
If 213 min is complete, then what do you say about 228 min of film on Esquire VHS that is in my possesion??

228 min run time is after counting any adverts or blanks in the tape out. 228 min is the actual film time on my VHS. No repeats.

Rana

I have VHS running almost the same timings - 225 minutes (approx.).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 7:27 pm
Posts: 6098
rana wrote:
Hardev wrote:
The yashraj Version of MERA NAAM JOKER suppose to be uncut . i read some where before yashraj release of M N J . it said MERA NAAM JOKER will be uncut version,
I have SANGAM dvd Yashraj version . on the back of the cover it say 213 min. running time

If 213 min is complete, then what do you say about 228 min of film on Esquire VHS that is in my possesion??

228 min run time is after counting any adverts or blanks in the tape out. 228 min is the actual film time on my VHS. No repeats.

Rana

Oops, did not read properly. Hardev had mentioned 213 min run time for SANGAM, not Mera Naam Joker.

What's the run time on YRF Mera Naam Joker??

Rana


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2002 9:22 pm
Posts: 111
Yash Raj version ,s running time for Mera Naam Joker is 224 min .


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group