It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:42 pm 

Bump.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:37 pm 

Bump
sythlord2001 wrote:
rana wrote:
rana wrote:
In 2008, I said:
I definitely had Shaan and Maqsad on one VHS since early days of VHS. But, I couldn't find that VHS today. It used to be very popular among friends for borrowing and I haven't been keeping track since DVDs came about. I sure will find it sometime. Also, I can check the VHS rental store that still has copies from early VHS days.

Found my Shaan VHS lying on my brother's shelf. Brought it home.

My Shaan VHS (copied @ SLP speed) and is 204 min.

DEI cover states it as 195 min but is only 177.5 min.
At wikipedia site, it's listed as 181 min and shows EROS B4U cover.

While comparing run time, wanted to check if the VHS is proper Film to VHS, meaning No 4% Speed Up but did not notice any repeat frame pattern. It's field averaged but not speed shifted, as I determined comparing it with a segment on NTSC Progressive DEI DVD.

(One segmented I noticed a cut is the "JANOO" song. It's 5 min 10 sec on DEI DVD for the same "point to point" on VHS.)

It's a shame that while it's producer is still active in Bollywood, it's home DVDs are heavily cut.

If enough interest, I could try to figure out out the differences (it's a very time consuming process). Most likely, the missing scenes are the same that Sunny Audit has already mentioned (18 segments) in the opening post.

the segments that I know that are missing from the DVD...

1. Amithabh & Shashi Entry when they sitting outside the hotel they are discussingthe matter longer in the vhs.
2. The Song Naam Abdul Hai Mera Is complete and does not end with the birds flying away and directly after that the song ends Amithabh & Shashi are shown waiting for Abdul.
3. Just before the song Dariya Mein Jahaaz there is talking about the babs are going to walk on water (Amithabbh, Shashi & Co in disguise)
4. After Sunil Dutt is killed, Amithabh & Shashi are sitting talking to one of the dhaba guys asking how come Abdul is late as he never is normally, and then he shows up and gives them information about the guys discussing Sunil Dutts Death
5. The next segment I can remember is when Shakaal has order his henchment to kill Shiv Kumar's family, the next scene is Rakhee is collecting her daughter from the school and Shtrughan Sinha spots them and offers them a lift and buy the girl ice cream, as you see the car pull away you see Shakaals men follow them in the car (this leads onto the shoot out over the bridge), cuts to
6. Amithabh is waiting for Parveen Babi and Shashi Kapoor for Bindiya Giswami, however they are bother scene chatting to other girls, this is much longer in the cut I have scene.
7. The song Janoo Meri Jaan is much longer when the guys grab a bike, you see them taking it from the side somewhere.
8. Final think i can remeber is the ned fight, Jhonny Walker is show fighting longer, and when they try to escape they building/island collapsing is longer with finally the end credits.

These are the things i distinctly remember.
I also remember watching an Apollo video release with the above mentioned that was in widescreen when i was younger.

Hope this helps

My Shaan VHS (copied @ SLP speed) and is 204 min.
It's in 4:3 full frame and picture is vertically stretched. When viewed without stretch, it's 16:9.

Last edited by rana on Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:49 am 

they had it on hotstar with proper AR, not sure if it was the longer edit...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:01 pm 

The following are shots from scenes that were not in the Directors cut (shorter edit) or shots from longer scenes in the Theatrical cut (longer edit) It is in chronological order and in comparison with Amazon Prime's version. Courtesy : Rana the great

For Jaanu Meri Jaan song there is no nicking the bike as mentioned by Shahran Sunny Audit back in 2003. Shashi kapoor rides an elephant for a deleted verse, Amitabh climbs the bus updside down and falls later. They show them ring the bicycle bell.

OPENING TITLES WITH FREEZE FRAME OF ACTORS:

EXTENDED CON PLANNING:

AFTER CON SCENE:

FULL SONG OF "NAAM ABDUL HAI MERA" WITH MOUTH ORGAN ENDING:

EXTRA DIALOGUE END OF THIS SCENE:

TALKING INTRO OF "DARIYA MEIN JAHAAZ" SONG :

DELETED INTRO DIALOGUE IN JAIL SCENE:

SHAKAAL'S TRAITOR SHOWN EATEN BY SHARK:

EXTRA MONOLOGUE AFTER SHARK EATS TRAITOR:

SHIV KUMAR EXTRA TOUR OF SHAAKAL'S CAVE IN ELEVATOR:

DELETED CIRCUS SCENE:

EXTRA DIALOGUE BETWEEN RAAKESH & SHAAKAL:

COLOUR DIFFERENCE OF SHIRT - WHICH IS CORRECT? GREEN IS FROM AMAZON PRIME:

EXTENDED DIALOGUE PORTIONS AFTER RAAKESH FAILS TO KILL SHIV KUMAR:

NO BRAKES SCENE EXTENDED:

WAITING FOR ABDUL TO COME:

EXTENDED CAR CHASE - RAVIS TIME TO SHINE:

GUDDI'S SCHOOL PICK UP:

ZOO GARDEN VISIT:

RAVI RENU FALLOUT BEFORE "JAANU MERI JAAN" SONG :

DELETED PORTIONS FROM "JAANU MERI JAAN" SONG:

VIJAY FIGHT SCENE ENDS LOOKING AT FAN:

MORE ICE CREAM FOR GUDDI:

JAGMOHAN EXTRA SCENE TO GET TO SHAKAALS ISLAND:

LONGER FIGHT SCENE IN CAVE:

INTRO ESCAPE AFTER SHAKAAL PULLS DESTRUCTION LEVER:

VIJAY MISSES THE JUMP:

CINEMA STYLE ROLLING CREDITS:

Last edited by brownboy05 on Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:49 pm 

This is really valuable shots, thanks folks!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:39 pm 

I bought the Apollo VHS off ebay & it still had so many missing scenes non of theses scenes were in there I paid £35.00 :(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:41 pm 

Apollo video used the longer Theatrical cut but made their own edit so it can fit a 3 hour tape. I think it released in 1986/87

It still has the original opening credits and most scenes above except the Amitabh-Shashi intro scene, Shatru circus scenes and Janu meri jaan full song.

There was a Savera video before Apollo that went for about £70 on ebay!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:55 pm 

Wow! How fast did brownboy05 find the discrepancies. Amazing. I recall when I took on comparing Mera Naam Joker discrepancies, it took me a few months and you did the same in just 8-9 days.

I did transfer the VHS to DVD. With passing of time, my regular VHS player did not work properly and I had to use a back-up one and I'm not happy with the PQ. My better VHS player never gave a PQ this bad for this VHS. Unfortunately, I had copied this VHS in SLP speed but still a much better PQ is possible. Considering, how much interest is there in this rare footage and how much it costed even without all this footage, I will try to get a better transfer. I'll get my better VHS player repaired.

Hopefully, when this rare footage is seen by others, someone will dig up a better print (may be original film print) and make it available, like TEEN DEVIAN. If that does not become available, I will transfer this VHS again, after the repairs.
brownboy05 wrote:
The following are shots from scenes that were not in the Directors cut (shorter edit) or shots from longer scenes in the Theatrical cut (longer edit) It is in chronological order and in comparison with Amazon Prime's version. Courtesy : Rana the great

EXTENDED CON PLANNING:

AFTER CON SCENE:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:48 pm 

Rana sahab, which VHS were these scenes in? Which label was the VHS released on?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:05 am 

bhaskar wrote:
Rana sahab, which VHS were these scenes in? Which label was the VHS released on?

I had rented this VHS in the very early days of Esquire VHSs. In those days there were only two companies in Canada (perhaps US as well) that were providing the so called Original VHSs - Esquire and INDIA SUN. I remember, this VHS was not Esuire one and was INDIA SUN. Unfortunately, my VHS copy is in SLP speed and looks like I did not copy the VHS company logo. The beginning of the tape says:

Tarachand Inc Presents
Sippy Film Presents

-
Actors names
-
-
-
-
with the title song and as Shaan word comes out so does the film name SHAAN appears on the screen(Time marker 90 sec)

------------------------------------------
Most likely (and as I recall) this VHS is by India Sun. Run Time is 204 min, no speed shift.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:16 am 

Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:06 pm 

Thank you, rana ji for the detailed information. Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:01 pm 

Shahran Sunny Audit wrote:
Running time of DC = 208.36 Mins (Negative Timecodes from BBFC).
Running time of TC = 181.59 Mins (Negative Timecodes from BBFC).

With it now available for abt 2 hrs 46 min on youtube movies etc, there are now 3 cuts...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:04 am 

New SHAAN upload on YouTube running 3hrs 5minutes including extra credits of NH Studioz. So is this the complete theatrical cut?.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIvjUOkFO4c

Update: False alarm. It's the same 2hr 45min on Amazon Prime, they've ended up adding the beginning again after the end. Haha.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:01 am 

newDEEP [go-green] wrote:
New SHAAN upload on YouTube running 3hrs 5minutes including extra credits of NH Studioz. So is this the complete theatrical cut?.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIvjUOkFO4c

Update: False alarm. It's the same 2hr 45min on Amazon Prime, they've ended up adding the beginning again after the end. Haha.

However there is definitely a 5 minute longer version at
https://youtu.be/e-NMjjHvZ6c

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next