It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:25 pm 

Wanted to compile a list of Indian DVDs in any language that were so bad they have to be seen to be believed. This way, we will have some idea of what to definitely avoid.

My picks are :

1. 'Gadar', from Video Sound - I have got this title twice, and they both freeze halfway through when Amisha is stopped at the airport.

2. 'Jeans' from KAD (Telugu Version) - Possibly the worst Indian DVD of all time - this one is supposedly the 'official' Telugu version. Picture quality is worse than 80s Doordarshan shows taped on VHS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:29 pm 

Kabir, you forgot to mention those DVDs that aren't even recognized by DVD players. If a DVD doesn't load, it has to be in the "worst ever" category. There are lots of them.

Rana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:36 pm 

But is that not dependent on the player? I got a perfectly good copy of 'Jeena sirf mere liye' (if you can call any VS DVD 'perfect') that played on my grocer's Apex player, and it refused to play on my multiregion Daewoo which plays even horribly scratched bootleg VCDs from India. So I cant figure it out. In my experience, SKY DVDs are the ones that really get me irritated as they are so cheap, but when you buy them you realize that the price wasnt the only cheap thing about them. Most of them are not read by my DVD player. That includes Mera Saaya, which is a movie I love but have not been able to see just coz of this problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:52 pm 

The KAD discs are easily the worst I've seen, especially for older films. They make Eros DVDs seem watchable in comparison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:54 pm 

All telugu DVDs barring EVP & SDINC.

All hindi DVDs, barring DEI titles and a few SD authored titles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:56 pm 

No 1. Worst DVD for it's Audio/ Video quality has to be the 'Kaante' DVD released by T Series here in India. The retail price is Rs 300/- approx US $ 6. The Sound is definately the worst ever and the picture quality is not far behind. The picture is presented in Sides Chopped (do not confuse with Pan & Scan) 4:3 Full Screen and the sound is Mono with unbearable hiss and screeching noises. To make matters worse, YES it actually gets worse, they have commercials in the middle of the film several times. This DVD and T Series need to get an award of some kind, after all it cannot be easy to make somethign as shoddy and crap as they have. I have actually seen and heard 4th - 5th generation VHS copies of pirated Hindi films which were actually better than this absolutely attrocious DVD. I challenge anybody/company to actually make something worse than this DVD.
Where is that saala chor, haraami, pirator Gulshan Kumar, oh yeah he's dead but then I guess his son and brother are as bad if not worse than Gulshan Kumar. I really might be willing to pay someone to have these thieves, dacoits etc.. killed off like Gulshan Kumar. Where is Nadeem when you need him?

Damn, did I write all that. I guess this DVD must have really gotten to me and is worse than anyone can imagine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:00 pm 

Dushman(rajesh Khana) by Baba Traders has to be one the worse
dvd out there. Dushman is one of my favorite movies so finnaly I found the dvd a few months ago and bought it for $15. The dvd is made from a vhs copy and is just horrible. A lot of titles by Baba traders are just horrindus. I know that there is a Dushman dvd by Eros now out there, but I'm sure the quality is probably the same as Baba quality. Some of the titles by Weg are very bad too especialy the early titles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:23 pm 

In regard to T-series, I cant believe these guys are so stupid.
Did they really think that they could get away with such lousy product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:46 pm 

An easier thread would be "Which DVDs Aren't Crap?"

That would be most DEI discs, Columbia/Tristar's Lagaan and Mission Kashmir, Asoka, Terrorist R2, and many Ayngaran discs. I think that pretty much covers it. Rest are not worth buying and are barely even worth renting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:48 pm 

Najib you are correct about the Dushman dvd. It was terrible. Another one that I got the same day was Mera Gaon Mera Desh (a great film) with terrible print.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:58 am 

Sanjay wrote:
Where is that saala chor, haraami, pirator Gulshan Kumar, oh yeah he's dead but then I guess his son and brother are as bad if not worse than Gulshan Kumar. I really might be willing to pay someone to have these thieves, dacoits etc.. killed off like Gulshan Kumar. Where is Nadeem when you need him?

You, sir, are a sick, sick man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:54 am 

RNJBOND wrote:

I guess as per your logic, Gulshan Kumar the biggest pirator the world (yes I mean the world) has seen, must be a saint. Gulshan Kumar got what he deserved, he was neck deep in his involvement with the mafia, which is how a small time thief and pirator (actually the owner of a small juice stand) ended up owning one of the largest music companies in India. God knows how many people he had killed in his life time. I am sorry to say I have no tears for such people, although you seem to have a soft corner for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:52 am 

Sanjay wrote:
... Gulshan Kumar the biggest pirator the world (yes I mean the world) has seen, must be a saint. Gulshan Kumar got what he deserved, he was neck deep in his involvement with the mafia, which is how a small time thief and pirator (actually the owner of a small juice stand) ended up owning one of the largest music companies in India. God knows how many people he had killed in his life time....

Sadly, its true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 8:25 am 

Sanjay wrote:
RNJBOND wrote:

I guess as per your logic, Gulshan Kumar the biggest pirator the world (yes I mean the world) has seen, must be a saint. Gulshan Kumar got what he deserved, he was neck deep in his involvement with the mafia, which is how a small time thief and pirator (actually the owner of a small juice stand) ended up owning one of the largest music companies in India. God knows how many people he had killed in his life time. I am sorry to say I have no tears for such people, although you seem to have a soft corner for him.

well said Sanjay...some people really think he's a saint especially if you have been to Vaishno Devi...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 3:32 am 

Especially since he Gulshan Kumar plastered himself on the cover of every devotional CD released by T-Series. T-Series has the rights to many 80s soundtracks they they refuse to release on CD.

-Bh