It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 5:13 pm 

Classics becoming Bollywood's new lifeline
SUBHASH K JHA

IANS[ WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 11, 2002 02:57:26 PM ]

MUMBAI: Need a story line? Try a Bollywood classic. The new trend for the Hindi film industry is to go back to old classics for inspiration.

Vashu Bhagnani's Jeena Sirf Merre Liye was an adaptation of Mehboob Khan's 1940s triangular musical hit Anmol Ghadi. Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Devdas echoed Bimal Roy's 1950s classic.

And now Sooraj Barjatya, who remade the 1970s hit Nadiya Ke Paar as Hum Aapke Hain Kaun to create Bollywood history, is now putting the finishing touches to another adaptation.

Barjatya's forthcoming opus Main Prem Ki Deewani Hoon is a modern adaptation of the 1970s romantic comedy Chitchor which Basu Chatterjee had directed for Barjatya's banner Rajshri Productions.

The film featured working class hero Amol Palekar as a visitor to a village who's mistaken as the suitor of a girl. By the time the truth is revealed and the real groom-to-be arrives, the Palekar is madly in love with the girl.

In Main Prem Ki Deewani Hoon, Hrithik Roshan, Kareena Kapoor and Abhishek Bachchan play the three central roles. The film is to be released in June 2003.

Dharamesh Darshan, too, is all set to remake B R Chopra's ode to infidelity, Gumraah, from the 1960s. Titled Bewafaa, the tale of love, betrayal and marital sanctity is adapted from the musical hit in which Mala Sinha played a woman forced to marry her brother-in-law, played by Ashok Kumar, after her sister dies leaving behind two little children.

In spite of the marriage, the reluctant wife continued to meet her lover, played by Sunil Dutt, on the sly and is blackmailed by a harridan, played by Shashikala.

In his new, star-clogged drama which Darshan is making for producer Boney Kapoor, Kareena Kapoor plays the girl who must marry her brother-in-law, played by Anil Kapoor, while Akshay Kumar is the lover boy whom Kareena can't shrug off.

Sushmita Sen will play the role of Anil Kapoor's first wife. Raveena Tandon and Manoj Bajpai have been sounded out to play a pair of conniving blackmailers. Darshan will begin shooting by next month.

If Sooraj Barjatya's and Dharamesh Darshan's new offerings click, there's no dearth of old evergreens that filmmakers could happily adapt.

Remarks a caustic young filmmaker: "As many of the classic makers are no more, our filmmakers don't even have to pay for the copyrights. Besides, better to remake evergreen Hindi films than to constantly copy Hollywood flicks."
:baaa: :stupid: :bangbang:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:06 pm 

arsh wrote:
"As many of the classic makers are no more, our filmmakers don't even have to pay for the copyrights. Besides, better to remake evergreen Hindi films than to constantly copy Hollywood flicks."

Did Bollywood ever pay for copyrights (think Jab Jab Phool Khile-Raja Hindustani)?????

And personally, I dont really think there is anything wrong with remaking any film, as long as it's not a scene for scene copy, and it's done well!!!

What are your views?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:06 pm 

bhaskar wrote:
And personally, I dont really think there is anything wrong with remaking any film, as long as it's not a scene for scene copy, and it's done well!!!

What are your views?

The remake should have some differences from the original film, but shouldn't abandon what made it good. In the case of a movie like Chitchor, who can take Amol Palekar's place? Actually, a remake of Chhoti Si Baat might work with the right casting for the roles of Palekar and Ashok Kumar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:41 pm 

Man ...No one can take the place of DadaMoni from Choti Si Baat... Can you imagine anyone else but DadaMoni as Col. Julius Nagendranath Wilfred Singh ? Or... anyone other than Amol Palekar as the character he played ?....

I find it quite sacrilegeous that Chitchor is being remade with Duggu, Abhishek in the remake.... All I can say is that the film will be one big flop !...
Hrithik doesnt have the innocence of Amol Palekar !! And Abhishek isnt as sauve as Vijayendra Ghatge !....

Its a shame Rajshri's cant find better script writers for their films... and I really cant imagine any other singers, singing... "Aaj se pehle, aaj se zyada"... other than Yesudas... Why cant Bollywood leave these classics as they are and not ruin them permanently ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:44 pm 

I totally agree, they take away your nice memories of orig beauty!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:48 pm 

sknath wrote:
Man ...No one can take the place of DadaMoni from Choti Si Baat... Can you imagine anyone else but DadaMoni as Col. Julius Nagendranath Wilfred Singh ? Or... anyone other than Amol Palekar as the character he played ?....

I find it quite sacrilegeous that Chitchor is being remade with Duggu, Abhishek in the remake.... All I can say is that the film will be one big flop !...
Hrithik doesnt have the innocence of Amol Palekar !! And Abhishek isnt as sauve as Vijayendra Ghatge !....

Its a shame Rajshri's cant find better script writers for their films... and I really cant imagine any other singers, singing... "Aaj se pehle, aaj se zyada"... other than Yesudas... Why cant Bollywood leave these classics as they are and not ruin them permanently ?

It wouldn't be the same, of course, but surely someone could do a competent job in those roles? But it is true that there is nobody today like Amol Palekar or Ashok Kumar. The glory days of the 70s are over. I think it would be great if they just rereleased the original films instead of remaking them. Karan Johar remaking Anand? How can that hack remake a Hrishikesh Mukherjee film?

Is Chitchor on DVD? I haven't seen it in many years. Hopefully Shemaroo will release it along with a good version of Chhoti Si Baat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:50 pm 

yes, digitaly remastered, like ET, or NBNW, or 2001..the space odysey!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 10:06 pm 

DragunR2 wrote:
Is Chitchor on DVD? I haven't seen it in many years. Hopefully Shemaroo will release it along with a good version of Chhoti Si Baat.

I had mentioned this before and I will state it here again... DEI (this year March) was actively involved in acquiring this film, but Rajshri films put a caveat that they would like DEI to take the entire catalogue... and the price they were asking was astronomical. So the deal never got through (I think a similar fate happened with the Mukta Arts catalogue). Hence whatever DVDs you may see in the market, be rest assured that its a Pirate ! (just as the SKY version of Padosan is a Pirate ) !

Dragun the day Shemaroo releases a good (progressive) version of any DVD, I will shave my you-know-what :D