It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:35 pm 

Hey All

Looks like an interesting movie - has anyone seen this? It's now available on a T-Series DVD in India.

http://www.upperstall.com/films/1964/yaadein

Last edited by Muz on Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:12 am 

There was quite a craze for this film when it released. Censors approved it for Adults only. B/W.

I never saw this film but I recall from that time that it was a one act play. Just Sunil Dutt in the film. No one else. Nargis Dutt is credited as Mrs Sunil Dutt and it's only her voice and shadow in the last scene. Apart from acting, Sunil Dutt handled some/ many other aspects as well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:45 pm 

Interesting - I will try to get hold of it as I heard about it but never saw it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:01 am 

Muz, me or anyone who gets hold of this DVD could you plz check how many credits are for Sunil Dutt ??

And, is it true that thee is only one actor in the film and no extras either ??
As I recall, there are no songs in the film.

As per imdb, Sunil Dutt is director for this film. Who produced it ?? I thought it was Sunil Dutt or his production company Ajanta Arts who produced it.

-------------------
On a side note,
Whatever happened to the film production studio that Sunil Dutt started in UP (Uttar Pradesh) ??

Another off beat and excellent Sunil Dutt film of that time is "Yeh Raaste Hain Pyar Ke". Of course story and acting was superb. And so was music/ songs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:11 am 

Hey Rana

I will do so - looks like it's only available in India right now - so I'll wait to see if I can get it from Nehaflix or IndiaWeekly first, otherwise I see that MusicYogi has this in stock.

At the moment I am reading a book about Sunil Dutt and Nargis. I am about a quarter of the way through (we are in the 1950's round about the making of Shree 420). I am sure that there will be a mention of Yaadein and Sunil Dutt's production house later in the book. I'll update this post with details as I get through the book.

Yeh Raaste Pyaar Ke was a great film. Unfortunatly I got a bad DVD of it which is very dark (I think it was Ultra or Eagle.) Hopfully there is a better version out there somewhere of this film also.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:16 pm 

Here is one I found at Induna:

http://www.induna.com/1000001493-productdetails/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:51 pm 

I've never ordered from these guys - are they any good?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:34 pm 

rana wrote:
Muz, me or anyone who gets hold of this DVD could you plz check how many credits are for Sunil Dutt ??

And, is it true that thee is only one actor in the film and no extras either ??
As I recall, there are no songs in the film.

As per imdb, Sunil Dutt is director for this film. Who produced it ?? I thought it was Sunil Dutt or his production company Ajanta Arts who produced it.

-------------------
On a side note,
Whatever happened to the film production studio that Sunil Dutt started in UP (Uttar Pradesh) ??

Another off beat and excellent Sunil Dutt film of that time is "Yeh Raaste Hain Pyar Ke". Of course story and acting was superb. And so was music/ songs.

and amazing RESHMA AUR SHERA! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:26 pm 

As per wikipedia, Sunil Dutt is the producer of this film. (It could be Ajanta Arts ??)

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaadein_(1964_film)

Yaadein (Hindi: यादें, Urdu: یادیں, translation: "Memories") is a 1964 B&W Hindi film directed and produced by Sunil Dutt also starring himself. This is film of the rare films by actor Sunil Dutt, where he shows his true genius as an actor as well as a director [1],

This film is one of kind films in world cinema as it features only a single actor and hence has found an entry in the Guinness Book of World Records in the category Fewest actors in a narrative film.

The film is soliloquy of a man who comes home to find that his wife and son are not at home, - - - - - left him and reminiscences his life with them, and scared of his life without them, he regrets his past indiscretions.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:30 pm 

Info from T-Series Yaadein DVD:

CC date: Dec 31, 1964. (Must have released theatrically in 1965).
Film Length: 3000 meters (109 min). (T.S. DVD 102 min ; @ 4% speed up, 3 min shorter)

- Ajanta Arts Presents (Sunil Dutt)
- Producec and Directed by Sunil Dutt
- Story Writer: Mrs Sunil Dutt (Nargis)
- World's first One-actor movie
- Publicity: Ajanta Arts
- (other than above, other aspects, like Music, Asst Direction, Dialogs etc are handled by others)
- (It must be Kishore Kumar, not Sunil Dutt, who handled all film production departments for his film Door Gagan Ki Chhaon Mein os subsequent, but that was not one act play)

- Studios: Kardar Studios (not Sunil Dutt's Ajanta Studio in UP that must have started later on, perhaps with Mujhe Jeene Do or Reshma Aur Shera or Man Ka Meet)

- Music and Songs: Background music throughout the film. There is one Sanskrit Hymn (Mahender Kapoor ??) and one Lata Mangeshkar song. Lyrics: Annand Bakshi, Music: Vasant Desai. Another playback singer credited is Miss Molly.

- It's only Sunil Dutt on the screen. In scenes where wife and kids are shown, it's only black figure that's shown (not shadow as I assumed).
Quote:
BTW, can anyone confirm (from news report or from watching film) if 'Wife' black figure shown is that of Nargis or not ?? It doesn't look like her. Sunil Dutt and Kids are recognizable, from those black figures, though.
Also, whose voice is it ?? Again doesn't look like Nargis voice ??

- Credit thanks to many actors (including Raaj Kumar, Prem Chopra) . Must have used their voices.
-------------------------------------------
Did not notice "Chhote Bhai Ko Ishnaan" dialog, in Sunil Dutt shower scene (that was topic of discussion among boys in those days. Perhaps it's cut.
--------------------------------------------
DVD quality: As film print shows CC date of 1964, obviously DVD is sourced from 1964 print. So, don't ecxpect HQ. Video Bit rate: 2.78 mbps. SL DVD (3.54 GB - Take away 5.1 @ 448 kbps and you have a low bit video file)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:33 pm 

Hey Rana - where did you get the DVD from?

Also - Ajanta Arts did produce it according to the Nargis / Sunill Dutt book that I am reading. The company almost went bankrupt after the release of Reshma aur Shera that bombed badly at the box office. It only stayed open as the employees worked for nothing. Ajanta released other more successful movies - but following Nargis' illness and death I think that Sunil Dutt did not concentrate much on Ajanta as he had other things to worry about (Nargis' illness and Sanjay's drug problem.)

Oh yeah - and what does that shower scene dialogue mean?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:42 pm 

Muz wrote:
Hey Rana - where did you get the DVD from?

Oh yeah - and what does that shower scene dialogue mean?

I was in Toronto this weekend. As always, video shops are flooded with cheap T-Series DVDs. (Also picked up old films Mujhe Jeene Do, Do Kaliyan, Naughty Boy, China Town etc, already had Yeh Raaste Hain Pyar Ke). Looks like all are SL 3-4 GB. T-Series DVDs are not great but at least they are film to DVD transfers (not old VHS transfers) and hence better than many DVDs that are/ were available only in transferred from VHSs, so far. A 3-4 GB Film to DVD transfer, even though Film to PAL to NTSC, easily beats a 7-8 GB VHS to DVD transfers.
Another TS DVD Khwaab (Mitun, Ranjeeta, Naseerudin Shah) has much better print than what's expected from a T-Series.

"Chhote Bhai Ko Ishnaan": As you know, in outdoor bathing in India, swimming trunks or similar are always kept on and in films they use this dress code even for indoor bath scenes. Sunil Dutt chirps away throughout the film. In the bath/ shower scene too, he is chirping away "Om Shanti Om", "Ek Bangla Bane Nyara", etc and in the same tune he says "Chhote Bhai Ko Ishnaan" when rinsing inside his swimming trunks. People found it naughty and funny and hence became talk of the town.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:57 pm 

Aha - now I get it!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:07 pm 

Yaadein claim to fame is that it's only one actor that appears on screen.

But, T-Series Yaadein cover states "Sunil Dutt and Others" under Starcast. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:49 pm 

can we see some shots?