It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:15 pm 

Does anyone know? Tried to search it on our website but couldn’t find an answer. Would be a good trivia question for us all. If anyone knows which film, which company and what year it had released it would be great

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:12 pm 

A post on this thread reveals that Super Digital's KOYLA was the first DVD to be released of an Indian movie.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4116

Quote:
izzy wrote:
what was the first indian dvd anyway

Zoran009 wrote:
ONE of SD ORIG Titles? Yes Boss? etc!

urbanlegend wrote:
Your right Arsh bhai, it was a SD title but not Yes Boss. It was Koyla. I remember reading about it in the Screen newspaper long ago....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:15 am 

Ragz wrote:
A post on this thread reveals that Super Digital's KOYLA was the first DVD to be released of an Indian movie.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4116

Quote:
izzy wrote:

Zoran009 wrote:

urbanlegend wrote:
Your right Arsh bhai, it was a SD title but not Yes Boss. It was Koyla. I remember reading about it in the Screen newspaper long ago....

In 2003, Arsh/ Zoran/ UL mentioned that Koyla was the first Hindi DVD. Somehow, I missed that topic in those days. It'll be great to get one more confirmation from Sunny Saharan Audit. Recall, present zulm.net is from 2001 and before that it was on, for 1-3 yrs with another host website (shows up as old site at top of zulm.net page). And before that there was a DVD Forum that was the solo source for 1-3 yrs, run exclusively by Saharan Sunny Audit. He sure will have a good idea, which was the first Hindi DVD. I suspect, one of the EROS-DEI titles ??

Later on, as zulm.net (old site) started, Saharan Sunny Audit himself asked his website followers to join zulm.net, and he himself started contributing to zulm.net, his indiandvdforum site closed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Assuming, Koyla was the first Hindi DVD out, or a competitor film around same time, one can estimate when Indian DVDs started coming out. Koyla was theatrically released on April 7, 1997, so expect its DVD not before 1998. And, by year 2000, there were tons Hindi DVDs out in the market. So, my guess will be sometime 1998, first Hindi DVDs started coming out.
(See my Next Post for more definitive info, including correction)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another fact that I know for sure about Hindi DVDs: First Hindi Anamorphic (and also Progressive) DVD was supposed to be DEI Kaho Na Pyar Hai but because of some delay, two other DEI (anoamorphic-Progressive) DVDs came out a week or 10 days before KNPH. They were KRODH and JUNG I have a printout printed on April 7, 2000 stating KRODH:- The First Indian DVD Ever To Have An Anamorphic Transfer
website was: http://www.stas.net/indiandvd/krodh.htn (perhaps html of which not full text fitted on te printout)

The same page also stated:
Originally Kaho Na Pyar Hai (2000) was to be the first anamorphic DVD for an Indian film, but this is still under development, so DEI decided to give that trophy to this film (KRODH).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First feature film on DVD was TWISTER, released on 25th March 1997.
https://pubquizammo.wordpress.com/2009/ ... s-twister/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by rana on Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:38 am 

Search Results Did Not Go far enough (missed by a few months), but this post (some excerpts retyped here from a printed page) gives out a good idea of First Hindi DVD Release Time:

Quote:
Post by Sunnyaudit, posted April 10, 2001:

Thread Title: Attention All DEI/ EROS DVD Owners
As you know, during 1998/1999 EROS & DEI did many great titles together. ---------- However DEI have now stopped all replications of teir EROS titles due to copyright lease which has run out. -----------.

Also the 5 year VHS/DVD contract that EROS has on films like Border, Gupt, - - -- -are soon to be over by 2001 - - - -.
Same can be said for Video Sound 1997 titles like Viraasat, Koyla, Yes Boss, Judwaa, Judaaii, Hero #1, -----.

Assuming Video Sound (Super Digital) titles came out in 1997 as Sunnyaudit said, it has to be VS-SD title that came out first as DEI-EROS collaboration years were 1998-99.
So, Koyla DVD date has to be between April 7 1997 to Dec 1997. and it's ahead of DEI-EROS DVDs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:41 am 

Ragz wrote:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4116

Quote:
izzy wrote:

Zoran009 wrote:

urbanlegend wrote:

Absolutely ! Right answer, Koyla SD and I got one of the first copy of trial disc. And then 1080P was DTPH and I got the trial disc on that too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:57 am 

Actually, hats should go off to rana ji. His knowledge and resourcefulness is, and will always be unparalleled.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:35 pm 

Thank you Rana ji this means a lot!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:21 pm 

BTW, First Hollywood DVD was:

Quote:
https://www.primermagazine.com/2009/fie ... sed-on-vhs
TWISTER represented the maiden flight for the now-standard format of DVD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:38 pm 

Rana saab, were there any double sided Hindi DVDs released? I have a couple of Hollywood 'flippers', but don't recall seeing any Hindi films (but I did start buying DVDs around 2000-2001).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:19 pm 

bhaskar wrote:
Rana saab, were there any double sided Hindi DVDs released? I have a couple of Hollywood 'flippers', but don't recall seeing any Hindi films (but I did start buying DVDs around 2000-2001).

I still have a few old DEI releases that were flippers disks. One Border and the other being Major Saab. I think they released them single sided later