It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:03 pm 

Hi All,

Thought I would show off my newest TV :) I couldnt afford one of those high end TVs so settled for a Samsung 40" LCD HDTV (see below for pic). Now I can see what u all mean by Indian DVDs look horrible on HDTVs .. YUK! :evil: I tested out Jung DEI, looked awesome! K3G YRF Single Disc Version YRF, look OK. The cheaper discs and pirate DVD songs .. I thought I was going to puke! I am going to be listing a bunch of movies for sale in the for sale forum so keep an eye out, there will be alot I dont want anymore as a result of buying this TV and realising how bad Indian DVDs are :roll:

QUESTION: Do LCDs suffer from Burn-In Images?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:15 pm 

i have the same tellly.. very good indeed.. no LCDs dont suffer from the burn in images..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:29 pm 

UL - did you use an upscaling DVD player when playing DVDs on your new TV?

Looks like a nice TV ... I have a plasma but I have heard that LCDs are looking much better than plasma now ... is that true?

Thanks,

Muz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:48 pm 

do not bother with an upscaling DVD player.. wat a waste of money!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

Muz wrote:
Looks like a nice TV ... I have a plasma but I have heard that LCDs are looking much better than plasma now ... is that true?

Not from what I've been reading.

For many HD purist Plasmas and Rear Projection TVs give much better picture quaity compared to LCDs. I’m going to be looking to buy a TV in the next few months so been reading up on various reviews and forums. I was surprised to hear so many people not liking LCD picture quality – two major reasons keep cropping up. One being the black levels are never as good as Plasmas or RP Tvs and secondly LCD tend to smear or blur the fast moving images. From what I’ve been gathering LCD are more suited to computer generated images while Plasmas are more watching live/moving pictures.

I’ve yet to see a good demo of Plasmas or LCD yet but will sure be checking and comparing them myself soon.

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:13 pm 

Black levels seemed to be good (for me at least) on this TV. I was happy with the little demo and checking the other tvs out at Best Buy Canada. I was looking at this model and a Panasonic 42 Inch. The panasonic had bad black levels, dark grey, meanwhile the Samsungs had really good solid blacks.

Blurring is something I have heard of and the sales rep also mentioned but I havent seen any really bad blurring images that are fast moving.

Upscaling DVD player I prefer not to buy .. havent heard too many good things about it and neither has anyone been real happy with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

I quite like the look of Samsungs TVs too. Probably get a 40/42" TV - so any recommendations apart from the above Samsung would be helpful. There’s a flood of 1080p displays coming out soon too so will probably wait and to see how well those are in terms of quality and pricing.

UL if you don’t mind me asking how much do those Samsung LCD go for in Canada? Which other ones did you consider buying?

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:55 pm 

Congratulations. Welcome to the boat of miserable film lovers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:50 pm 

urbanlegend wrote:
Upscaling DVD player I prefer not to buy .. havent heard too many good things about it and neither has anyone been real happy with it.

That's quite interesting - I've heard nothing but good things about upscaling players (or at least the Oppo digital player). I was curious to see how an Indian DVD would look once it had been upscaled!

I don't own one myself but was going to get one as the Oppo player is really cheap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:06 pm 

urbanlegend wrote:
... The panasonic had bad black levels, dark grey, meanwhile the Samsungs had really good solid blacks.

the Samsungs have DNie by default which enhances the pictures to be more vibrant, BUT, if Panasonic gives dark grey, it might be giving a more accurate colour than just pure black.

e.g: if a man in a picture is wearing a dark grey sweater, against a black wall, the TV that shows the grey has a more detailed picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:15 pm 

our resident oppo owner (dvdisoil) is pleased with his player's output.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:03 pm 

The other Samsungs I was looking at were:

Samsung 40" Widescreen LCD HDTV** (LNS4051D) - $3199.99 Canadian
Specs: Click Here

Samsung 40" Widescreen LCD HDTV** (LNS4041D) - $2999.99 Canadian
Specs: Click Here

My TV is the 2005 model but the picture quality was in between the two top mentioned 2006 models.

The Panasonic actually had dark gray on the black bars and the picture just didnt look right to me. Maybe it was the display/demo. I wanted a Panasonic but after seeing the Samsungs .. I fell in love. I was originally looking for a DLP but in the end wanted something to hang on the wall since my son is now crawling I needed the space. So out goes the the cabinet and 27inch TV (actually into my bedroom) and onto the wall the LCD (still need to get the wallmount, its sitting on a table right now ;) ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:55 pm 

my 32" version!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:25 am 

I have connected my:

DVD Player - Component Cables
HD PVR - Component Cables
DVD Recorder - S Video
Laptop - VGA Cable

My question is .. Faddy Bhai or anyone, which site has the best advice for color setup? I know that each component has individual settings for picture. What is the best color setting for regular TV (Contrast, Brightness etc).

Faddy Bhai .. That pic of Feroz Khan on your telly looks wicked!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:20 pm 

urbanlegend wrote:
I have connected my:

DVD Player - Component Cables
HD PVR - Component Cables
DVD Recorder - S Video
Laptop - VGA Cable

My question is .. Faddy Bhai or anyone, which site has the best advice for color setup? I know that each component has individual settings for picture. What is the best color setting for regular TV (Contrast, Brightness etc).

Faddy Bhai .. That pic of Feroz Khan on your telly looks wicked!

Did you try to calibrate the display using any of the the calibrating DVDs like "The Avia" OR "Digital Video Essentials". You can rent these DVDs from Netflix or Blockbuster OR borrow from your friends.

You must have already done your (time consuming) research at AVS forum.