It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:04 am 

Fred wrote:
Anyway I just wanted to ask you Rana (and that's a bit out of subject): what are the French movies you saw? For example the ones you liked and the ones you hated.

I'll come to French films bit in a later post or in a PM.

For the other bit:

Fred wrote:
I admit that I was a bit worried about what you guys here on Zulm would think of this DVD... you're very demanding

We are not demanding at all, as evident with a simple DVD, just done right, like Diaphana DEVDAS. All we want is proper DVD and not Garbage that we are used to and have been fed up with Indian DVDs.

One basic problem (Diaphana DEVDAS DVD doesn't have this problem) with Indian Telecine operators, when transferring film to PAL, is that they try to be oversmart and repeat every 25th field, or fit 12 frames into 25 fields by field averaging, to compensate for the 4% speed difference. This compensation is a no no for every one in the world except for oversmart Indians. Not only do they Field Average Film to PAL, they also do another field averaging in converting PAL to NTSC. They want to make NTSC DVDs to sell them but do Film to PAL telecine to save costs.

Rana

BTW, any idea if Diaphana may release some other Indian DVDs, like DEVDAS, of those films that get released in French theatres, Like 'Kal Ho Na Ho'??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:02 pm 

Diaphana MAYBE will release other Indian films but that is only if there's anything to release. Cause Diaphana will release only films (Indian or not) to has been released in the entire France, not those that came out once in one theater or in a Festival. And as there's like almost no Indian films (even less from Bollywood) coming out in France, really don't expect like a Kal Ho Na Ho in DVD (this film was not a national release in France) (devdas and lagaan were the only)

Sorry but that's the awfull truth. Independent Indian films are released sometimes in Europe (like Monsoon Wedding) but the fact that it comes from India is not more attracting than any other country. But Bollywood ! Most people here when you say it, reply : you mean Hollywood... But I must say that things are beginning to change here since Devdas. But that's only for Cinema lovers but not to the "mister everybody" like we say in French... (I mean those who go see all the American flicks just to do something different than going dancing.)

(just to make things clear : Diaphana is not specializing in Indian films, it's a coincidence that the first DVD they made was Devdas.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:19 pm 

Fred wrote:
And as there's like almost no Indian films (even less from Bollywood) coming out in France, really don't expect like a Kal Ho Na Ho in DVD (this film was not a national release in France) (devdas and lagaan were the only)
Sorry but that's the awfull truth. Independent Indian films are released sometimes in Europe (like Monsoon Wedding) but the fact that it comes from India is not more attracting than any other country. But Bollywood ! Most people here when you say it, reply : you mean Hollywood... But I must say that things are beginning to change here since Devdas. But that's only for Cinema lovers but not to the "mister everybody" like we say in French...

There is a Hrithik-Aishwarya festival in the works for this
summer in France...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:40 pm 

Should they make DVD for it? lol? just kidding! cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:31 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:59 pm 

It is NO GOLD either! from OVERSEAS! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:08 pm 

arsh wrote:
It is NO GOLD either! from OVERSEAS! :wink:

I will be surprised if this DVD freezes for many people. I have a few American silver dual layered DVDs and none of those have frozen, but silver color seems to be sazaa-e-maut for Indian DVDs :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:20 pm 

yes, we r talking abt DIAPHNA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:05 am 

DragunR2 wrote:
I will be surprised if this DVD freezes for many people. I have a few American silver dual layered DVDs and none of those have frozen, but silver color seems to be sazaa-e-maut for Indian DVDs :evil:

When you "freeze" are you talking about this slight pause when the DVDplayer switch from a layer to the other ?

I think that's very enoying, DVD players should switch layer faster.

Last edited by Fred on Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:06 am 

DragunR2 wrote:

When you say "freeze" are you talking about this slight pause during the layer transition

I think that's very enoying, DVD players should do that layer transition faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:39 pm 

Fred wrote:
When you say "freeze" are you talking about this slight pause during the layer transition

I think that's very enoying, DVD players should do that layer transition faster.

I mean when a disc goes bad and the disc freezes and won't play after that point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:50 pm 

Oh, ok.
No chance to have freezing problem with Diaphana.

I heard that Dil Chahta Hai has freezing problem on some players.

Last edited by Fred on Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:02 am, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:49 pm 

Does anyone know what online site is providing the best price for this DVD? I plan on having it shipped here to Canada. Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:38 pm 

Does the Diaphana edition have English subtitles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:17 pm 

headless chicken wrote:
Does the Diaphana edition have English subtitles?

Welcome to Zulm.net 'Headless Chicken' :D The first page of this thread mentions the absence of English Subtitles in this DVD, see below though:

fred wrote:
The main flaw of this DVD is of course the absence of English subtitles. There's only french subtitles.

and...

fred wrote:
his is a PAL (not SECAM - that was for VHS) region 2 DVD with an anamorphic image transfert. It has a Hindi 5.1 Dolby Digital track (along with a French 5.1 DD track) and only French subtitles are available, nothing else. All the bonus feature are also in French.

and from the 3rd page...

Awaaz wrote:
BUT when listening to the Hindi sound track,
YOU CAN NOT TURN OFF THE FRENCH SUBTITLES!!!!!!!!

french track on and you can turn off the subtitles

Last edited by urbanlegend on Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next