It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:30 pm 

Hi Rana

Could you let me know if the DVD version of Amrapali has the song 'Jao Re Jogi Tum Jao Re' in it? I have two versiond of this movie on VHS (by Esquire and GVI) and this song is missing from both versions ... however I read an article praising Vyjanthimala's dance to this song in the film!

Also - does anyone know where I can get hold of the Shemaroo VCD? I can't order it from their web-site as they don't ship outside of India.

Shuman - SaraswatiChandra was a good DVD release as far as I can remember and worth getting. The film is superb!

Thanks,

Muz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:30 pm 

Muz wrote:
Hi Rana

Could you let me know if the DVD version of Amrapali has the song 'Jao Re Jogi Tum Jao Re' in it?

Muz, you made me preview Amrapali a bit seriously and ruined my day. Now, it's your turn to be disappointed. Not just for that song that you were asking for, but a lot more.

The CC (1966) shows it to be a 4005 meter long 35mm film (146 min) in 16 reels.
Well, Amrapali in Shemaroo DVD is less than 2 hour run time (1 hr 59 min 24 sec). So, obviously a lot is missing. There are only 3 songs and the song that Muz was asking, there is no trace of it.

I remember seeing this film in theatre, when it was released. It was a long film, close to 3 hrs.
(Muz mentions in a later post, having seen a 172 min VHS for sale on iternet)

This film requires and deserves lots of search and restoration work. Let's hope, BEI can do that for us.

Rana

P.S.
BTW, Muz, how long are your 2 VHS versions??

Edited By rana on 1063114801

Last edited by rana on Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:57 pm 

Hey Rana

Sorry for ruining your day :(

The VHS versions that I have are both 2 hours long. The Esquire version is very bad quality and the speech is out of sync for most of the film. The GVI version has the same running time, is in sync, but has annoying adverts over the screen.

There are only three full songs in the film (Neel Gagan Ke Chhoan Mein, Tadap Yeh Din Raat Ki, Tumhe Yaad Karte Karte), a very badly cut down song (Nacho Gao Nacho) and two dances (one where Amrapali is in competition with another court dancer and one superb dance in a white dress near the end of the movie).

My father told me that he remembered seeing a longer version of the movie when it first released but I wasn't sure if he remembered correctly. Funnily enough I searched for this movie on the internet and found a US web-site selling a VHS version of the movie - the running time was 172 minutes.

I would still like a good quality version of this movie whilst I wait for the BEI release (who knows when that will be) - so I would be happy with the Shemaroo version ... for the time being. I'm really intrigued as to what has been cut from the movie.

I wonder if this version with lots of cuts was released for the international market :hmm:

The CD and LP has the song Jao Re Jogi Tum Jao Re and the opening of the song features Vyjayanthimala laughing - which led me to believe that the song must have been filmed. I figured that it might have been cut before the movie was released - although I couldn't figure out why. It's one of my favourite songs!

Thanks for checking this out buddy.

Muz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:24 pm 

I read it in one of the threads long time ago, where they quoted Raj Kapoor as saying that once some portion of a film is cut, for whatever reason, it's disposed off quickly and permanently (sold for scrap/ Raddi) for lack of storage space. Amrapali didn't do as well as expected despite Vyjantimala's challege to Raj Kapoor and her best obvious efforts. Quite possible, that to fasten the pace of the film, producers must have trimmed the film and then with time, as this film was not in demand for theatrical projections, the film must have rotted with time and rotten portions of the film print discarded. Still, some old print, in someone's storage or basement may have more footage available. It's a matter of searching and bringing the producers 'on side' to restore this film and other such films.

In my opinion, for home video, longer the feature the better, no matter how boring it gets with slower pace. For theatrical projection, fast pace is a must.

By involving the Director for restoration, they can make a feature using available good source. And for those portions for which a good source couldn't be obtained, should be included in extras.

I saw this film in the first week when it was released and it was a 3 hour show including a 15 min mandatory Indian documentary. I liked the film and is my favourite.

Rana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:33 pm 

That is sad!!! another incomplete movie on DVD.

I wish the pirate DVD-manufacturers view this forum and take note..

Amrapali
Mera Naam Joker
Namkeen
The Burning Train

I wont buying these movies relased on pirate dvd if they are complete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:51 pm 

Have u seen burning train from shemaroo..shumu bhaii? still incomplete?

i would love to see entire namkeen, any day..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:31 am 

arsh wrote:
Have u seen burning train from shemaroo..shumu bhaii? still incomplete?

i would love to see entire namkeen, any day..

No.. haven't seen the shemaroo's TBT yet. will be though within 15 days hopefully.

As for Namkeen... I am trying to acquire the VCD released by ULTRA. I will try to rip it, and all of you can download it who owns the dvd and want to see the actual movie. WEG really upset me with this DVD. I go mad! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:44 am 

What you guys talking about? Namkeen incomplete? Bought this awhile back from Nehaflix and didn't get a chance to watch it yet! Seems I lost the chance to return it also. Bummer! :p :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:47 am 

JamesBond007 wrote:
What you guys talking about? Namkeen incomplete? Bought this awhile back from Nehaflix and didn't get a chance to watch it yet! Seems I lost the chance to return it also. Bummer! :p :p

yes jb.

if you 've seen the original movie (i mean the vhs release), the movie on dvd ends where the intermission on vhs took place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:15 am 

Oh me gosh! You mean half is missing? I had no clue.Thats unconscionable! How can they do or even sell this? Now we wait for the other installment to release I guess. :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:52 am 

It a new type of 2 disc DVD set - first you buy one half of the movie then six months later they sell you the first half packaged with the second half for twice the price. A briiliant idea! :D

I've never seen Namkeen - is it a good movie?

Edited By Muz on 1063281160

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:34 pm 

i willing to pay twice the price. but they haven't come with a second release yet. or have they?

and Muz.. Have you seen any of the following movies...'Ijaazat', 'Maachis', 'Koshish', 'Lekin', 'Aandhi', 'Mausam', 'Khushboo', 'Mere Apne'.. well what i am trying to get to is that it's just another film by Janab Gulzar Sahab. Brilliant (out of the world style) screenplay, brilliant direction is what i die for. and a unique story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:11 pm 

I concur, with SHUMAN..BRILLIANT FILM, with BRILLIANT acting by ALL LEADING LADIES and ofcourse by Late SANJEEV KUMAR!!

***These kinda films are REAR COMODITY/GEMS now..even GULZAR himself is not DARING to make!

I wish I could see ENTIRE FILM>> :baaa:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:00 pm 

shuman wrote:
i willing to pay twice the price. but they haven't come with a second release yet. or have they?

and Muz.. Have you seen any of the following movies...'Ijaazat', 'Maachis', 'Koshish', 'Lekin', 'Aandhi', 'Mausam', 'Khushboo', 'Mere Apne'.. well what i am trying to get to is that it's just another film by Janab Gulzar Sahab. Brilliant (out of the world style) screenplay, brilliant direction is what i die for. and a unique story.

Well I haven't seen 'Ijaazat' but the rest are amongst some of my favourite films -

... especially 'Aandhi', 'Mausam', 'Khushboo', and 'Mere Apne'!

Now I guess I'll be yearing for another unobtainable DVD - but in the meantime I guess I'll check out Ijaazat ... but ugh it's by WEG :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:12 am 

Quote:
but in the meantime I guess I'll check out Ijaazat ... but ugh it's by WEG

Muz go for it, you will not be disappointed! :D One of WEG better transfers. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next