It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 10:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:05 am 

Raghuvir wrote:
Instead of keeping these huge, annoying black bars, couldn't YRF make it anamorphic?

Encoding the DVD in anamorphic is not going to do away with the black bars. The only way to get rid of the black bars, is to crop the movie from the sides. Which is not really desirable.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:35 pm 

--

Last edited by Ragz on Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:56 pm 

I am sorry, but I, as do most people I know in this forum, will strongly disagree with you on any change to the original aspect ratio of the picture. Based on all the posts that you have been making in this forum, it's seems like you are a movie buff and therefore it is hard to understand how you can give more importance to filling up your TV screen at the expense of losing actual picture content and more importantly the original framing of the picture that the director and cinematographer envisioned and shot. It's like cutting your family pictures from the sides, simply to fill the plastic frame that you just bought. What good is the quality of a DVD picture, when the picture itself is not complete?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:36 am 

I agree with Sanjay.

However, disc-makers can include, additionally, alternate versions with modified ratios on the same disc (esp BDs) for fans like Raghu where pan and scan of 2.35:1 or wider material to exactly 16x9, esp of material which is originally on a larger matte (akin to open matte), might make Raghu and friends happy :-)

Not me, I prefer the theatrical aspect ratio, though sometimes I wonder what is the original vision when both imax and 2.35:1 and sometimes even 16x9 versions of the same movie are all screened theatrically nowadays.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:52 pm 

I too agree with Sanjay & Newdeep. OAR should be maintained.

DVD/ BR/ Any-Reproduction should maintain OAR. If you want to fill the screen, you can do it just by the flick of a switch. All/ most new TVs/ Screens have Zoom, as well as, Aspect Ratio variations available.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:46 pm 

I never meant to say that I want any modification in the AR.

I wrote:
Instead of keeping these huge, annoying black bars, couldn't YRF make the DVD anamorphic?

What I meant to say was that if YRF had encoded an Anamorphic Widescreen DVD, the 16:9 image would have more picture, on contrary to what they have now - a 4:3 letterbox DVD with less picture. Is encoding a 16:9 DVD too big a task for them?

I don't want to aimlessly fill up my screen with shamelessly cropped images.

An anamorphic DVD is only my demand.

No cropping, no squishing, no stretching.. CORRECT 2.35:1 images.

Last edited by Ragz on Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:28 am 

Ram Teri Ganga Maili is probably available on blu ray as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:11 pm 

Raghuvir wrote:
Ram Teri Ganga Maili is probably available on blu ray as well.

And what makes you think so?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:40 am 

Sanjay wrote:
And what makes you think so?

I probably saw it in some website. I'm really not very sure. Probably its a misunderstanding.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:04 pm 

~ Let me make my point clear ~
What I meant to say was that the DVD could have been encoded to 16X9 anamorphic widescreen with the side-ward portions retained (the whole aspect ratio retained), so that I can view it happily on my widescreen tv.

I don't want to do away with the black bars, neither do I want my screen filled with the sides cropped. Just a 16x9 full aspect ratio.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:25 pm 

Raghuvir wrote:
~ Let me make my point clear ~
What I meant to say was that the DVD could have been encoded to 16X9 anamorphic widescreen with the side-ward portions retained (the whole aspect ratio retained), so that I can view it happily on my widescreen tv.

I don't want to do away with the black bars, neither do I want my screen filled with the sides cropped. Just a 16x9 full aspect ratio.

As long as you are clear that on a 16:9 widescreen TV any 2.35:1 movie will still have black bars on top & bottom to preserve the original picture and aspect ratio.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:46 am 

Sanjay wrote:
As long as you are clear that on a 16:9 widescreen TV any 2.35:1 movie will still have black bars on top & bottom to preserve the original picture and aspect ratio.

Yes. That's exactly what I meant.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:39 am 

Has the YRF version been speeded up by 4%?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:28 am 

LOL :lol:
Mr. Sanjay's reaction was so violent and abrupt :lol:

You guys misunderstood me :'(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:48 am 

In any case, I'd go for the YRF version as the quality of both the discs are sub-standard (unless I come across a Progressive DVD of Shemaroo or even a Pseudo Progressive one). But the YRF version isn't cropped.

But for cases when there is a choice between a cropped DEI-Eros and anamorphic Shemaroo (whether Field Averaged or Pseudo Progressive) title, I'd 100% ask for DEI-Eros for being Progressive, great PQ/AQ and negligible DNR, etc.