It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:55 pm 

arsh wrote:
bhaskar wrote:
I don't understand why people consistently have such high expectations from Hindi DVDs - show me a company that releases Hindi DVDs to the same standards as any Hollywood company. UTV have released a couple of good DVDs, but the rest of the companies (including BEI nowadays) release complete and utter shite. This is nothing new - as has been discussed in other threads, the Hi-Def age will make no difference to the overall quality of Hindi DVDs, it'll just be another way for them to rip off the consumer.

I am ready for DIGI BETA transfered to HD DVD :lol:

You mean ready to flood the forums with post complaining about the HD DVDs when they release!!!!! :lol:

To anyone with the technical knowledge - forgive my ignorance, but what should DVDs be made from, if (according to Arsh) digibetas are so bad? And does a different source need to be used for HD DVDs? As I said, forgive my ignorance, but I haven't really followed the HD threads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:11 pm 

bhaskar wrote:
what should DVDs be made from, if (according to Arsh) digibetas are so bad? And does a different source need to be used for HD DVDs? .

Further questions:

1) Can Digibeta record in 720P, 1080i, 1080P or higher ??

2) If the answer is YES, are older digibeta masters, of Indian films, in HD ??

3) In the digital presentations, High Def or Low Def, shouldn't one digital frame on a disc correspond to one film frame ?? If yes, why multi-images and fuzzy images (freeze frame/ screen captures) on Indian DVDs ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:47 pm 

rana wrote:
bhaskar wrote:
what should DVDs be made from, if (according to Arsh) digibetas are so bad? And does a different source need to be used for HD DVDs? .

Further questions:

1) Can Digibeta record in 720P, 1080i, 1080P or higher ??

2) If the answer is YES, are older digibeta masters, of Indian films, in HD ??

3) In the digital presentations, High Def or Low Def, shouldn't one digital frame on a disc correspond to one film frame ?? If yes, why multi-images and fuzzy images (freeze frame/ screen captures) on Indian DVDs ??

If digi beta of new films are in high def resolution, then how on the earth we get REM DON PAL of this low quality?

seems like brother bhaskar has some unresolved issues here to do with me lol :lol: :idea: please feel free to pm me.
thnx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:58 pm 

arsh wrote:
If digi beta of new films are in high def resolution, then how on the earth we get REM DON PAL of this low quality?

Doesn't matter how excellent the source is - if the DVD MPEG encoding is messed up, it makes no difference how good the digibeta is.

Look at the latest bunch of Eros releases - all the sources look to be good (great colours especially), but the PAL to NTSC transfers just ruin them entirely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:18 am 

Stephen wrote:
arsh wrote:

Doesn't matter how excellent the source is - if the DVD MPEG encoding is messed up, it makes no difference how good the digibeta is.

Look at the latest bunch of Eros releases - all the sources look to be good (great colours especially), but the PAL to NTSC transfers just ruin them entirely.

Stephen, I would love to agree with your opinion, but I think, it is egg or chicken issue here, some times source is not good so decoding cant make a difference or vice versa.

but again, a new dvd from a superior house, under director's supervision, from hd master, comes out to be screwed up colors/authoring both ntsc/pal versions beats my comprehension

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:21 am 

The screw-up happened on DVDs -- it is bound to happen on some HD DVDs / Blu Rays as well...

To err is human ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:51 am 

arsh wrote:
Stephen, I would love to agree with your opinion, but I think, it is egg or chicken issue here, some times source is not good so decoding cant make a difference or vice versa.

Yes, true. YRF's recent releases have had poor sources, but decent encoding.

arsh wrote:
but again, a new dvd from a superior house, under director's supervision, from hd master, comes out to be screwed up colors/authoring both ntsc/pal versions beats my comprehension

Well, I wouldn't call either REM or UTV superior houses. They've both released more bad DVDs than good. And the director's supervison only counted for the HD master, not the DVD encoding.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:54 pm 

so hope is floating all the time!! so, if BR/HD DVDS are encoded/authored in INDIA ultimately, then results are obvious I guess! :( I think, then faddy's track is right track

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:48 pm 

Digibeta is a good format but it's not HD. It's SD.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betacam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:43 pm 

I understand! But then how REM too!screwed up on a good source/format in this case :?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:40 am 

arsh,

there's 2 steps really, the source and the compression once oyu have the source. Screw up at either stage can result in a poor product.

Directors etc generally supervise the first step, only some (even in hollywood) supervise the second. So you can have a perfect source but have it ruined by compression goof ups. On the other hand, you can have the best compressionists work on something but if the source is poor, it still looks like crap.

For example, most of Warner Bros new releases (both r1 and r2) are being done by a new team of compressionist. You only have to take one of these new releases to see that for some reason, whether thats inexeprience or promotion of HD-DVd, they're of lower quality than anything WB has put in the last year new release wise, or even compared to current new releases of older films (which are being handled by the 'old' compressionist). There's no dispute that the source here is still high quality, but the compression definitely isnt. Titles include things like The Departed, A Scanner Darkly, Blood Diamond. These have received rave reviews on most dvd review sites, and admittedly get a lot better around the 20 min mark for Blood Diamond and Departed, but anyone with any sense of picture quality can see that the initial sequences look terrible.

Of course, these poorer new WB releases are still miles ahead of what hindi dvds look like :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:53 am 

mhafner wrote:

So, a HD-DVD or a Blue Ray DVD made from Digibeta master will come out just in SD not HD resolution.

(Also, a HD/ Blue Ray DVD made from a 10th generation VHS-SLP too will have a "10th generation VHS-SLP" quality.)

But, legally/ technically, these will be called HD/ Blue-Ray DVDs. :devil: They may even claim it "For Nostalgia Sake" :x

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:12 pm 

rana wrote:
mhafner wrote:

So, a HD-DVD or a Blue Ray DVD made from Digibeta master will come out just in SD not HD resolution.

(Also, a HD/ Blue Ray DVD made from a 10th generation VHS-SLP too will have a "10th generation VHS-SLP" quality.)

But, legally/ technically, these will be called HD/ Blue-Ray DVDs. :devil: They may even claim it "For Nostalgia Sake" :x

bravo rana! you expressed my scares very well here!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:07 pm 

is the Utv & T-Series Release both the Same ? with same transfers & a Difference of Menus ....

or is the Utv dvd a better one ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:04 pm 

Both UTV and T-Series are the same just with a diff menu. Its an old issue now. Plz refer the following thread:-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9306

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next